Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

opr wrote: »
    Ryan McLaughlin looks some prospect at RB. Been great when ever I have seen him.

Opr

Definitely looks much more comfortable going forward than Flanagan.

G'wan lads, push on for the winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Decent showing, they (city) are pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Score ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

mixednuts wrote: »
    Score ?

1-1, we equalised in the 87th minute. Both sides missed penalties. We dominated the second half.

On a side note, 2 former players playing at CB for Norwich today - Ayala and Whitbread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    i would love it if at least one of eccelston, suso, coady and sterling were on the bench with a genuine chance of coming on.

The squad is feeling really stale at the moment, surprised in kenny, thought youth would have a better chance now than under rafa or woy. Instead it seems he only promotes youth in case of injurys, case being flanagan and robinson at the tail end of last season and spearings enforced inclusion due to lucas.

What about Shelvey, he was a rockstar for Blackpool. He is ready for proper first team action. I'd start him ahead of Henderson any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Just FYI, the u16s beat City 5-0. Seyi Ojo and Alex O'Hanlon got two each, Connor Randall got the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    i would love it if at least one of eccelston, suso, coady and sterling were on the bench with a genuine chance of coming on.

The squad is feeling really stale at the moment, surprised in kenny, thought youth would have a better chance now than under rafa or woy. Instead it seems he only promotes youth in case of injurys, case being flanagan and robinson at the tail end of last season and spearings enforced inclusion due to lucas.

As an exercise who would you drop from the bench for today's game for a youth?

Typical sub candidates -

Doni, Bellamy, Maxi, Kelly, Carra, Aurélio, Flanagan, Coates, Spearing, Shelvey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

ynwa_17 wrote: »
    Definitely looks much more comfortable going forward than Flanagan.

G'wan lads, push on for the winner.

The amount of young players that are coming through for that right back spot is ridiculous. I believe the guy daithijjj mentions scored today O'Hanlon is also a right back. I remember a fuss being made when we signed him. He is very highly rated and had a host of clubs chasing him.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

mike65 wrote: »

Typical sub candidates -

We don't need five defenders on the bench. It is insane, it seems the bench sorts itself on pecking order regardless of position.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We have more defenders than is healthy! Still the club shouldn't need to buy a senior one ever again. Now if only the wings and attack were as well stocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

daithijjj wrote: »
    Just FYI, the u16s beat City 5-0. Seyi Ojo and Alex O'Hanlon got two each, Connor Randall got the other.

Alex O'Hanlon is the best young player from this island bar none.

Technically gifted. The inevitable likening to a current player would be Gareth Bale, although technically superior at the same stage of development.

Amazing young talent, and one of the very best to come from Ireland in many many years I have been told by people from major schoolboy clubs all over the country.

He was feared by opposition youth team managers from Cork to Belfast.

Out of all the suitors after him he picked Real Madrid initially, was over with his family, but he chose Liverpool in a change of mind. The club moved heaven and earth to get him. Hes a United fan by the way :D

St Kevins Boys stand to make a hell of alot of cash from the deal too, unheard of money by Irish standards should he make the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Jayob10 wrote: »

Technically gifted. The inevitable likening to a current player would be Gareth Bale, although technically superior at the same stage of development.

Amazing young talent, and one of the very best to come from Ireland in many many years I have been told by people from major schoolboy clubs all over the country.

Out of all the suitors after him he picked Real Madrid initially, was over with his family, but he chose Liverpool in a change of mind. The club moved heaven and earth to get him. Hes a United fan by the way :D

St Kevins Boys stand to make a hell of alot of cash from the deal too, unheard of money by Irish standards should he make the first team.

He played for a few teams younger than me. All i can say is he was amazing. We went to almer to play some tournament. His u10s at the time didnt drop a point and hammered EVERYBODY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Jayob10 wrote: »

There were rumours at the time that it could reach almost 2 million :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

BBC Scotland reporting Liverpool are in ''Pole Position'' for Jelavic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16659157.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Chelsea result should be a bit of extra incentive if it was needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

amiable wrote: »
    BBC Scotland reporting Liverpool are in ''Pole Position'' for Jelavic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16659157.stm

I still think we should be in for him *ducks under desk*

Daniel Ayala had a great game today for norwich. MOTM performance. Another reserve we sold doing good things.

I like jela, i think hed do a good job for us!. Not sure how the rest of you feel though!

I don't think he's good enough

If he signs I sincerely hope I'm wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

ASOT wrote: »
    I like jela, i think hed do a good job for us!. Not sure how the rest of you feel though!

Very very "meh" to be honest. Hate the SPL and as such find it hard to rate any player from it. Plus Rangers will prob look for about 10m for him which would be ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

stick-dan wrote: »
    I still think we should be in for him *ducks under desk*

Daniel Ayala had a great game today for norwich. MOTM performance. Another reserve we sold doing good things.

And the other central defender Zak Whitbread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Another great chance for Liverpool this weekend to close the gap.

Chances that seem to be thrown away every week.

We are away though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I don't think he's good enough

If he signs I sincerely hope I'm wrong

Previously said in the last thread he's always in around the box and poaching goals. I don't care how we get it but we need to get fourth and if he sits on the box feeding off scraps to get it, then so be it.There's no value in January and we really do need Champions League football again. Luckily Norwich did us a big favour today, we need to hammer bolton and get the goal glut we need in this game.

Knex. wrote: »
    Very very "meh" to be honest. Hate the SPL and as such find it hard to rate any player from it. Plus Rangers will prob look for about 10m for him which would be ridiculous.

Obv for 10 mil i prob wouldn't be happy but i do rate him, I think hes a good finisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

ASOT wrote: »

just watched a video of his 19 goals...and im surprisingly unexcited.

i can only guess that its because im well aware he's playing in scotland where i could probably get 19 goals..

but that said, that 14th goal again aberdeen..phwoar!!!

Jeez we can't ask more from the competition for 4th spot to fcuk up anymore than they have.

Really feel that whoever shows the balls , urgency and desire to take that 4th spot should easily get it .

And I'm putting Newcastle in the mix aswell as Chelsea , Arsenal and us .

C'mon Liverpool show the desire and want to get that CL spot .

Starting today !

Hate making ultimatums.

But.

If we don't win today we can forget about CL football for another season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

If we win today the gap is back down to 3 points, we really have to be winning games like this. Agree with Knex, really find it hard to rate any player from the SPL, and although he is prolific up there, I would be very hesitant to bid for him, especially if the price tag is near £10m.

I think we have enough ex Rangers players as it is.

eldwaro wrote: »
    just watched a video of his 19 goals...and im surprisingly unexcited.

i can only guess that its because im well aware he's playing in scotland where i could probably get 19 goals..

but that said, that 14th goal again aberdeen..phwoar!!!
    Why don't you so?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Why sign another average striker? He scores in the SPL, playing for a side far better then the vast majority of the opposition they face. His record at Rapid Vienna was average and his international record is poor.

Only a fool would pay £9m for him. Rangers are in the shite financially, and coupled the likelihood that the player himself would jump at the chance of a move to Liverpool, it'd be crazy to pay any more then half of that amount. Regardless of the fee though, like Charlie Adam he may prove to be good value, but I don't for a second believe either are of the standard we should be aspiring towards

• Advertisement

Why don't you so?;)

ah im more a jumpers for goal posts, 5 a side, love of the game kinda guy.

hate to lose that by making it my job :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I wonder what the reaction would be if Jelavic was a Celtic player at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm sick saying it: IF THE RIGHT PLAYER ISN'T AVAILABLE THIS WINDOW THEN LET'S NOT BUY ANYONE.

Seriously, the objective here is to win the league over the next few years. Panic buys now will not help us move closer to that end. The squad we have no isn't perfect but it has some depth and is broadly competitive. It should now be about a lessor quantity of signings that are of a higher quality. The first stage of rebuilding is largely complete imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Could be a good weekend for us. With Chelsea dropping two points and Arsenal playing United tomorrow...i can't cheer on United but i will grudgingly watch it without hurling abuse in their direction for once, and if they win they win, i won't sulk!.
    The 3pm games are completly crrap today. Fulham and Newcastle will have to do online :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm sick saying it: IF THE RIGHT PLAYER ISN'T AVAILABLE THIS WINDOW THEN LET'S NOT BUY ANYONE.

Seriously, the objective here is to win the league over the next few years. Panic buys now will not help us move closer to that end. The squad we have no isn't perfect but it has some depth and is broadly competitive. It should now be about a lessor quantity of signings that are of a higher quality. The first stage of rebuilding is largely complete imo.

Double post...Obviously not sick enough ;)

EDIT: Ah,you've removed it now, so i look like a nutcase..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Carroll plus 15m to Chelsea for Torres?

;)

As an aside, Robbie Keane had a better goals per game ratio the Jelavic in the SPL, and his goals to games ratio this season is similar to Anthony Stokes's

assuming agger and spearing are still out...

210112145954.png

Melion wrote: »
    I wonder what the reaction would be if Jelavic was a Celtic player at the moment

Everyone would want to sign him. Have you not seen the campaign amongst the masses to sign Gary Hooper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

mike65 wrote: »

Typical sub candidates -

Coates & Flanagan. No need whatsoever for them with the others there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Nail hit firmly on head. We really should be looking at players that are seen as first team ready and better than anyone we already have in thir position. No point at all in buying players at this stage just to make up squad numbers.

assuming agger and spearing are still out...

*snip*

You do know you can do that on the LFC site - where you have no possibility of spelling the names wrong :P

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/match/next-match/team-selector

You do know you can do that on the LFC site - where you have no possibility of spelling the names wrong :P

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/match/next-match/team-selector

1) thanks! extremely handy!
    2) who did i misspell?

wait no no no ... we will never EVER play with 4-4-2...this is useless

Anyone watching sunderland v swansea ? what a goal by sessegnon!

Interesting ....
    Letter received yesterday from DCMS, calls FA system unfair & vindicates KD on Suarez bit.ly/yjdeYt (via @josiewalesLFC)

http://t.co/J7F0qyHY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

mixednuts wrote: »
    Interesting ....

http://t.co/J7F0qyHY

What the DCMS?Alsocan you get that link to load? it wont load for me

Harpy wrote: »
    What the DCMS?Alsocan you get that link to load? it wont load for me

http://thetroublewithfootball.blogspot.com/2012/01/existing-process-isnt-fair-process.html

1) thanks! extremely handy!
    2) who did i misspell?

wait no no no ... we will never EVER play with 4-4-2...this is useless

Just use it to select the players. It will be obvious what formation :)

And it was Skrtel :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Could be a good weekend for us. With Chelsea dropping two points and Arsenal playing United tomorrow...i can't cheer on United but i will grudgingly watch it without hurling abuse in their direction for once, and if they win they win, i won't sulk!.
    The 3pm games are completly crrap today. Fulham and Newcastle will have to do online :(

Chelsea and Arsenal are catchable this season, but we HAVE to start winning a few games and putting pressure on them

Newcastle winning again

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement