Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portugal Vs Germany

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

There's been some great football. There's also been some utter ****e football. IMO the football is only so good because the defending just isn't as good in this tourney. Indeed there's no team in the tourney you'd really say has an amazing defence (ironically England probably has the best on paper)
    Portugal conceded two goals last night from defending that a school boy team wouldn't do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I thought it was a good game and the Germans deserved the win. Pre match I had thought that the Germans could prove to be a nasty banana skin for Portugal (Italy can be likewise for Spain). And that proved to be the case.

The Germans lined out very attractive with both Podolski and Schweinsteiger getting forward at every opportunity, as well as Ballack in the centre. So although this was a 4-5-1 type of formation, it was very fluid going forward. The dropping of Gomez, Frings and Fritz produced a better team I thought. The same formation and personnel may work better against Croatia, if there is a 're-match' in the semi-final.

The 1st German goal was a good one and hard to defend against. There has been a lot of talk about poor defending in this tournament, and whilst it is not at 1970-style Italy levels, its not that bad. Mistakes are magnified. One area that Portugal was deficient in last night however was the goalkeeper. Ricardo could do nothing much about the first but for the 2nd he could have done a lot better and for the 3rd he made the mistake of wanting to claim it but it was too far out, and then he didnt make himself big when caught out. He more or less ducked out of it. Judging by Ferrera's reaction and that of Ricardo himself, Ricardo had called for it but then failed miserably.

Portugal werent out of the game though as Germany let them come at them to a certain extent. The game was high energy. If Podolski's shot would have gone in it would have been a fitting score as well (4-1). That screamer had Ricardo well beaten and was inches wide.

Overall, as an international tournament, I think fans can take heart that international football is far from dead with many good displays. If the marketing can be set-up properly and perhaps tournament-like fixtures set-up during the calendar, with perhaps players employed by countries (as they do in rugby), international football could flourish and could capture back some of the power that has gone to the clubs (in terms of players and money). There can be nothing better than seeing millions of people decked out in the colours of their country and the fervour that entails. Club football, for most clubs, doesnt come anywhere close.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,710 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

redspider wrote: »
    There can be nothing better than seeing millions of people decked out in the colours of their country and the fervour that entails. Club football, for most clubs, doesnt come anywhere close.

Well said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

What makes International Football great for me is that it means so much more. Saying otherwise is being dishonest to oneself in my opinion.

I know a lot of Italain fans care more for their clubs but in a country like Croatia, Ireland etc...there is no way it can't mean more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

What makes International Football great for me is that it means so much more. Saying otherwise is being dishonest to oneself in my opinion.

I know a lot of Italain fans care more for their clubs but in a country like Croatia, Ireland etc...there is no way it can't mean more.

I think that's why a lot of countries that aren't usually football powers are doing well. France and Portugal lacked much passion, but Croatia, Turkey, Russia seem to make up what they lack in technical ability with a greater desire to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Memnoch wrote: »
    You clearly lost the arguement and you're only making yourself look worse by trying to turn to semantics.

You made a gross generalisation that was demonstrated false. His point is simple. Compare like for like. Top level international football trumps top level club football any day..

Where did I make any generalisation, never mind a gross one?
    Memnoch wrote: »
    You tried to take low level int football and compare it to the very top of club football, comparing essentially apples and oranges to try and make a point that was wrong to begin with. Honestly, just accept you made a statement in haste that was demonstrably incorrect and leave it at that. The more you argue the point the more you are digging.

From a neutral fan's view, what was more entertaining? United vs Chelsea the champion's league final or the countless amazing games we've had in the euro's already?

All this club fandom nonsense gives me a migrane anyway.

It was estenban that made the generalisation that international football is better.

What club fandom? I never even mentioned a club or club football, all I did was point out that theres ****e teams in international football.

Now, back in your box you go.

What makes International Football great for me is that it means so much more. Saying otherwise is being dishonest to oneself in my opinion..

Personally I havent really cared (properly cared I mean) about any international football for a long time. The bread and butter of Irelands qualifying games (and most others) isnt worth bothering with tbh.

Theres a relationship between the lack of club success in smaller countries and the entusiasm of the fans when relativly small countries do well in intrnational football.

Advertisement