Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holland V Romania

• 17-06-2008 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

so here's the thing..... Van Basten cannot let holland lose this game. Romania will be out for 3 points, and if holland make big team changes they could get eaten alive.

Romania took 4 points off holland in the qualifying rounds, and therefore have the psychological advantage. these teams know eachother very well. Romania will be on top form tonight and at full strength. Does this matter to van basten, will he do a portugal or croatia and make wholesale changes?? i think not. I do not think he will be able to make the sensible choice and rest his star names. I think he is a bit naive still.

I think he will want to keep the winning streak going.

Also, there is the possability of meeting either France, Italy or Romania again in the Semi's, and who would he want to meet? Italy or France who they know they can hop off the pitch, or a Romania team that dominated them in the qualifyers and who they lay down to in the group stages.

I think Holland feel they HAVE to field a strong team tonight and may only rest van Nistlerooy and maybe van der vaart, but he will bring in robben and van persie.

what do you guys think, wholesale changes or small tinkering.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

wholesale changes without a doubt. no manager in his right mind would risk his top players in a meaningless game like this. Romania will be giving it their all, there could be more than a few 'clumsy' challenges tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I think Huntelaar will start, along with Robben, van Persie and maybe Affellay, all still great players, i'm not sure how good their back up in defence is, mayve Bouma will come in for van Bronckhorst.

These players will all want to stay in the team for the quarter finals so no one will want to lose, could pull out of challenges etc though if the match gets physical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

I think he will play a strong team with maybe only 4 starting replacements, and two of those will be robben and van persie.

i think they will try to dominate possesion, but slow the game down and go for a no score draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Yea only about 4 changes but i'd say Huntelaar has to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

so here's the thing..... Van Basten cannot let holland lose this game.

Typo? I would have thought a Romania win would be good for Holland, means Italia and France are bye bye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just praying Sneijder starts, though im not sure who they really have to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Just praying Sneijder starts, though im not sure who they really have to replace him.

Loads of people could replace him. Robben or Van Der Vart ?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

i hope the dutch go to win tonight because i want romaina out and france to go through. also i want the dutch to field a full squad cause i have dutch players on my fantasy team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Romania, make or break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Um, I don't get the logic in the OP's post at all!

I don't care how well Romania did in qualifying. No one in their right mind would want to face them over France or Italy in the knockout stages!! Thats utter madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

just think van basten will not field a weak team like portugal, croatia and spain will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd happily "throw" this game if I were van Basten.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

vorbis wrote: »
    Um, I don't get the logic in the OP's post at all!

I don't care how well Romania did in qualifying. No one in their right mind would want to face them over France or Italy in the knockout stages!! Thats utter madness.

Personally Id much rather face past it chancers like Italy and France rather than the defensively solid Romania, who if they make the knock outs may very well hold at least one team to a goaless draw and penos. Van Basten knows this, he knows it could be good to see the Italians or French go through, wing a victory or two against other out of form teams (Portugal have done what they came to do for example, but they have hardly blown us away.

Tusky wrote: »
    Loads of people could replace him. Robben or Van Der Vart ?

..i mean from the backup players. Robben i wouldn't put central anyway, too weak imo, and besides he'll be starting tonight on the wing, most likely with Van Persie on the opposite side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think that the whole way through Romania's preparations, the coach will have been talking about a draw-draw-win plan.

They're two thirds of the way there and I expect them to put in a serious performance to cap it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'm going to predict a third draw for the Romanians, but possibly going through with the other game ending in stale-mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Netherlands: Stekelenburg, Heitinga, De Cler, Bouma, Boulahrouz, De Zeeuw, Engelaar, Afellay, Van Persie, Robben, Huntelaar

Romania: Lobont, Tamas, Rat, Ghionea, Contra, Chivu, Nicolita, Codrea, Cocis, Niculae, Mutu

:D van Basten ain't too bothered methinks (still half decent though).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

mike65 wrote: »
    Netherlands: Stekelenburg, Heitinga, De Cler, Bouma, Boulahrouz, De Zeeuw, Engelaar, Afellay, Van Persie, Robben, Huntelaar

Romania: Lobont, Tamas, Rat, Ghionea, Contra, Chivu, Nicolita, Codrea, Cocis, Niculae, Mutu

:D van Basten ain't too bothered methinks (still half decent though).

Mike.

They the actual teamsheets?
    Or your guess? :p

Frisbee wrote: »
    They the actual teamsheets?
    Or your guess? :p

actual.

no sneijder :( hopefully an unbelieveable sub performance. at least boulharouz is starting, hopefully a clean sheet for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Come on Romania! It'd be hilarious if they knocked out both Italy and France :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,710 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mike65 wrote: »
    I'd happily "throw" this game if I were van Basten.

So would I! Holland beat both Italy and France fair and square but mainly because they managed to utilise all chances (and the oppostion none). I really wouldn't fancy having to face either again.

LOL, just checked (watching Italy-France) and only van Persie and Robben are retained. 9 fresh faces :D

18junMS_bin_Opstell_188855f.jpg

Good chance for Mutu, blocked.

What a miss...

Fair play to Lobontz, made himself big.

Codrea should have made it 1-0 Romania.

Huntelaar scores :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Delighted for Klaas, nice little tap in HUP ORANJE HUP

Really bad defending by Romania. Asleep for that tap in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

nice skills from the ref! :-)

• Advertisement

Game over. RVP. Romania put to the sword.

HUP VAN PERSIE HET LEGENDE!!!!
    ORANJE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely class 9 goals and 9 Points in 3 games.

Bring on the 1/4s!!!

Holland are looking very good. Hope they win it now. Great football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

If Holland Don't win i'll be shocked, damn classy team. Nine changes and they still had the likes of van huntelear,van persie, robben,...dear god!!:O

I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but Holland has never before had a second team in a major tournament that could still play well. Not when they lost in the WC finals in '74 and '78 and certainly not when they won the Euro '88

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I watched the game with my Dutch girlfriend and her family in their house. Wasn't as much of a buzz as the last two games but that's to be expected. The Netherlands have to win the tournament now, i can't really see anyone doing them out it. Felt pretty bad for Romania, they set up their team to play on every part of the pitch and didn't just become ultra-attacking or ultra-defensive like lots of other teams. i hope they go on to really develop after this and become a bit of a force in the world cup.

Ben je nederlands Cruijff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

The Dutch cant be stopped, thank christ I put my money on when they were at 12-1 (and originally 15-1! I know it was the group of death and all but whatever clown put such long odds on a team with their qualification campaign record needs their head examined). Without a doubt the most thrilling entertaining play of the tournament so far. Yet to see a team that I believe has a good chance of beating them. Croatia are a slight worry, and something about the Swedes and Russians that they might just pull something off, but if the Dutch can keep up their form the likes of Germany, Portugal and even Spain are there for the taking.

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Ben je nederlands Cruijff?

No he isn't ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I will say right now, and the Dutch have been quality and a joy to watch, they will not win this tournament. Absolutely no way. I've said it already in other threads. Spain are gonna beat Germany in the final. The one thing that will not happen is the Dutch winning this tournament. And of course feel free to bookmark this quote and shove it in my face if the Dutch win, but they won't.

Advertisement