Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tv3 get Champions league rights

• 03-06-2008 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

From 2009 Tv3 have the champions league on tuesday nights, please god Packie Bonner isn't doing it again! from uefa website, Rte have wednesday nights first choice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

fs.

hate CL on tv3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

RTÉ still have Wednesdays and the Final.

Its back to as you were in the deal before last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I hate football on TV3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

And Trevor Welch looked unhealthly happy with the news on tv3 news:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Looks like i'll be watching Richard, Jamie, Ruud and the boys. TV3's football coverage is bay far the worst of any of the broadcasters that we can recieve in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

No!!!! What a disaster! Why!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Fúck that anyways! I can't believe we're back to their shíte again. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I hate football on TV3

agree

i rather watch cl on sky then watching the shi'te that is Tv3

the only channel for cl is RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Balls :(

Sky it is then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I will miss Eamo and the lads :(

Sky it is for sure!

ITV will still keep one match live in the UK in the new deal - and it's on a Tuesday. So, at least there's that.

Shamrok wrote: »
    ITV will still keep one match live in the UK in the new deal - and it's on a Tuesday. So, at least there's that.

You can be guaranteed that TV3 will show the exact same game as ITV so that rules out Sky as an alternative to the TV3 coverage.

Shamrok wrote: »

ITV have first pick wednesday from 2009.

They have Wednesday. That's better.

First pick of a single match. They had 2 previously.

Sky will show 7 one night and 8 the other..

Sky's coverage is going to be fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

I hate TV3's soccer coverage. :mad:

I suppose this means that Souness wont be on RTE anymore since he only did Tuesdays over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hang on so TV3 get Tuesday and ITV switch thier day to Wednesday?

Double whammy. :mad:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Feckin Packie Bonner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Oh FFS.

I hate those clowns.

This could be the only topic that every last football fan on boards can unite on :p

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

What a joke! TV 3 should be ashamed of themselves!! although Giles and Dunphy arnt gonna be around forever....TV 3 is the Future.....:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Il mi Dio!!!!!!!!! I hate you Trevour Welsh you fat tub of ****.

Do Setanta keep their coverage?

Wait..its not until after next season..thats grand....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

August 2009 to May 2012, aye.

This was the first round of Irish rights sales. Other matches have to be sold.

Now, its worth seeing if Setanta bother their hole, as Sky Sports have what is on offer already.

Badabing wrote: »
    ITV have first pick wednesday from 2009.
    True. It's the worst of all scenarios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

eh... sound lads

who'd have thought he read boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

TV3 cannot do sports coverage they are horrible.

They butchered the rugby world cup and they butcher any soccer game they cover.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0603/rte.html
    RTÉ Sport have announced that it has won the most Champions League rights of any Irish terrestrial television channel from September 2009 until 2012.

RTÉ has secured the premium package of exclusive Irish terrestrial rights to Wednesday night matches with exclusive coverage of the UEFA Champions League Final and the UEFA Super Cup, which amounts to eighteen live matches on RTÉ Two.

Wednesday night highlights and a weekly magazine programme are also part of the package.

Coverage on RTÉ.ie will include live simulcasts plus clip rights of Wednesday night matches with rights secured for coverage on RTÉ.ie mobile also.

Glen Killane, Group Head of Sport, RTÉ, said today: 'We're delighted to continue to deliver UEFA Champions League live coverage to fans in Ireland free-to-air until 2012.

'In the current competitive climate, securing the most coverage of any terrestrial television channel in Ireland with the premium package for Wednesday night matches - including the final - is no mean feat for a public service broadcaster.

'We look forward to continuing to bring our audience the high quality coverage of this and other key international tournaments such as the FAI domestic and international matches up until 2014; RBS 6 Nations until 2013; Euro 2008; Olympics 2008 and 2012; World Cup 2010 and 2014 and Rugby Autumn Internationals to 2009.'

RTÉ will continue to broadcast live UEFA Champions League first-pick matches on both Tuesday and Wednesday night in the 2008-2009 season.

• Advertisement

Thank ****!

I like the Setanta coverage Paul Demsey is very good and Andy Townsend when he is on it, they show most of the Celtic games also. Their commentator Martin Fisher is good aswell a million times better than Welsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Was hoping to get rid of Setanta, how long do Setanta have CL for?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Was hoping to get rid of Setanta, how long do Setanta have CL for?

Until the end of 2008/2009 for definate., not sure if they have bid for new package rte/tv3 have got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    You can be guaranteed that TV3 will show the exact same game as ITV so that rules out Sky as an alternative to the TV3 coverage.

well the are the same company....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Boooring. Though tbh I was a bit worried we wouldnt get Tuesday matches any more (IIRC ITV only usually shows one match per week, and Im not currently in a sky sports subscribing house). **** RTE, too proud to admit in their own report that TV3 robbed a few.

Out of curiousity what is the deal with TV3 and Ireland qualifiers this time round? Maybe its only my memory but afaik they only had exclusive rights to San Marino and Cyprus, both away (which led to talk of TV3 being some type of jinx in terms of performance).

Why bother paying for two out of 12 matches?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

shane86 wrote: »
    **** RTE, too proud to admit in their own report that TV3 robbed a few.

To be fair I was watching TV3 news this evening and after watching their report I had assumed RTE had lost all coverage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Come to think of it, has an Irish national team ever done well on that sh1te that is TV3?

They even have GAA coverage now as well:eek:

well the are the same company....

No they're not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Tv3 Must Die!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Jesus, i hate TV3. They're taking sports that we love and just wrecking it. It's like they're doing us a favour. "LIVE AND EXCLUSIVE ON TV3!!!" Yeah, but you's are ****e, stop ruining it for everyone!!
    Just move away from the negotiating table and back to tour sh!t american repeats. If the people of Ireland had a vote, i'm sure TV3 would be the last channel they'd wanna watch football on. So instead of Bill O' Herlihy starting an arguement between Dunphy, Giles and Souness before sitting back, hands behind head and admiring his handiwork, we'll have Bonner interviewing Whelan and Stapleton/Moran/Aldridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Ah frick.......TV3 is just embarrassing.....but so is RTE in alot of cases. ITV and Sky are pathetic too....il be tuning in on me wireless i tells ya and reading the team news on teletext, its the future i tells ya :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

This is the football forum
    why we discussing TV Channels ?

It is a discussion of football coverage?

Amazingly we have a confluence of tv and football! Thats okay to dicuss I'm sure.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

This could quickly turn into another Arm chair fans Vs "Real supporters who go watch Real Live Football" debates!*

* Im tagging out now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Cionád wrote: »
    To be fair I was watching TV3 news this evening and after watching their report I had assumed RTE had lost all coverage!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Glad I didnt see that one so! Id have had a heart attack at the thought of no more Dunphy, Giles and Bill.

Come to think of it I dont even like football. I only watch it on RTE so I can compare the match to the halftime and fulltime ranting ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo:(:mad::(:mad::(

TV3 and their cheap cardboard sets, wooden presenters, and poorly planned echoey studio and cr@p analaysis. You'd think they'd make a flippin effort. Well now they have a year to prepare, I can only hope they realise how awful their coverage is, and try do something about it. Not holding my breath though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Digging up an old thread,I thought you guys might like to read this.I emailed tv3 a link to this thread when it was announced,they would get the rights.Asking if they would be improving anything?

This is the reply I got.

"David,

Thank you for your email and the website link to the reaction to TV3 securing Champions League rights from 2009.

Naturally it is very disappointing to read such negative criticism of TV3’s Sports coverage.

TV3 as a company is working hard to provide improved production standards of sporting events we broadcast, our recent coverage of this season’s Uefa Cup and our current coverage of the GAA Football and Hurling Championships is a testament to that.

I would like to assure you that TV3 is committed to sport and improving the way we cover major events.

Once again thank you for contacting TV3 and please feel free to contact me again should the need arise.

Kieran

Kieran Holden

Sports Editor TV3, Ballymount, Dublin 24, Ireland

+353 1 419 3358

kieran.holden@tv3.ie "

At least they responded. Criticism of their sporting coverage however is warranted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ha! I can't believe you sent this link to them. Fair play to you. But will things improve?? Are they even capable of it, I doubt it.
    TV3 are just TV3. They shouldn't cover sport. Just stick to the Sh!te american shows

• Advertisement
Advertisement