Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas in The Algarve?

• 14-10-2013 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hi all. I am thinking about getting away for a 7-day break for Christmas and The Algarve seems quite reasonable. I've never been there so just looking for recommendations on hotels/apartments.

Some examples in the search are:

• Pateo Village
    • Janelas do Mar
    • Mirachoro III
    • Alfamar Villas – Algarve Gardens Apartments
    • Vilanova Resort
    • Albufeira Jardim I y II
    Any thoughts welcome on where to avoid like the plague etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

stayed in club praia de oura in albufeira 2 years ago in early December based on recommendations on here when a bargain alert was posted for a cheap week in the Alrgarve. Grand hotel, had a nice little studio apartment, good location, has it's own little private beach, view from balcony wasn't great but it was an incredibly cheap deal and some of the other apartments had amazing views. Clean as well and had our sheets etc changed every day or so, also had a TV with a handful of UK stations and a DVD player, as well as a kitchen. Would recommend if it's an option.

As for the algarve itself, expect it to be pretty much dead. There are a couple of excursion type things you can do but it really depends on if they get the numbers in advance, so not always guaranteed to run. Many of the bars and restaurants are closed also, and the ones that are open are pretty much dead every night. But if it's a cheap relaxing week of nice weather and just to get away from Ireland for a bit then it's a nice little escape, just don't expect to be filling your days with activities. For €100 each all inclusive we couldn't really complain haha, worth it just for the nice weather!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I was there last summer, 3 course meals €8, pints €2/3, highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

Thank you both for your replies. I'm just looking for a nice relaxing week in the sun away from the commercial madness of Christmas. A couple of excursions by day would be nice but relaxing on a beach will suit me fine. At night I'm not that worried about nightlife just some nice restaurants and a few beers will do me fine.

That'll suit you down to the ground so, there's a quad bike safari tour which is meant to be brilliant that runs all year but unfortunately neither of us had a drivers license so we weren't able to do it but we did a full day jeep safari instead which took us all around places off the beaten track and it includes a full meal in a restaurant with an absolutely incredible view, was only €29 as well.

We did a day trip to Lisbon also which was great but tbh it would have been worth staying a night there as we didn't get a lot of time on our own to explore, really cool city as well.

As for the rest, you might get a boat trip in if you're lucky but they didn't get enough people when we were there. The best bet is to go to the ticket shops dotted around the place the day before and see what they have, could probably get a few things with the hotel as well, but you can't really plan anything in advance, it's a little bit slapdash during off season but you're bound to get a couple of things to do.

oh and like aujopimur said it's incredibly cheap to eat and drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Thank you both for your replies. I'm just looking for a nice relaxing week in the sun away from the commercial madness of Christmas. A couple of excursions by day would be nice but relaxing on a beach will suit me fine. At night I'm not that worried about nightlife just some nice restaurants and a few beers will do me fine.

I go to villamoura a couple of times a year latest I have been is Late November and it definitely wasn't sitting on the beach weather. It will be very hit and miss at Xmas. Probably need to go further south for better weather ie any of the Canary Islands but the price of these at Xmas time is crazy

• Advertisement

I go to villamoura a couple of times a year latest I have been is Late November and it definitely wasn't sitting on the beach weather. It will be very hit and miss at Xmas. Probably need to go further south for better weather ie any of the Canary Islands but the price of these at Xmas time is crazy

When I was in Albufeira 2 years ago in December it was grand for lounging on the beach, not really "hot" so to speak but nice and warm with t-shirt and shorts during the day being fine with maybe some jeans and a hoody after dark. Outside pool was far too cold to even consider mind and it did rain briefly on the last day but maybe for all of 10 minutes.

One things certain, it'll be much nicer then Ireland will be!

Advertisement