Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cambodian people....rude or is it just me?

• 24-10-2014 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

So I've been travelling South East Asia for 3 months now. The countries I've visited are Indonesia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and now Cambodia.

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. the level of harassment me and my girlfriend have received from Tuk Tuk drivers, beggers, street vendors & souvenir sales people has really put me off the country.

Yes I expect them to look for our business but the constant not taking no for an answer is hard to handle and in my opinion is 10 times worse than any of the other asian countries I've been too listed above.

I know the Khymer people have been through a lot but aggressive demands and constant harrassment is not going to help me decide to part way with my dollars and give it to them.

One example is we bought 6 scarfs off a lady at a market, then she start trying to sell us more. We kindly said no, then she starts trying to sell us other items, we again decline. As we start waking away she starts screaming for us to spend more money. I'm there thinking I just gave you $20US you could be a little more grateful.

Or you say no to one Tuk Tuk driver and the next 3-4 lads all sitting beside him ask the same question? Like what is there logic in thinking? If I want a lift I'll stop and look for one, not walk past a group of them and have to say no 5 times in a row just to shut them up

Just wondering have other people had similar experiences in Cambodia?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

They are a very positive nation. They will all ask you in the chance that you will say yes. If you say know they usually say 'maybe tomorrow'. A small amount of your money makes a huge difference to them and that is why they all ask.

I really loved it there. Everyone was so friendly, happy and positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Must also add I found them a very friendly nation

There is a phrase something along the lines of "you can still see the hurt of the genocide in their eyes"

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rob01

traprunner wrote: »
    Everyone was so friendly, happy and positive.

Everyone? I'm finding this hard to believe. Hotel staff, bar tenders and waiters etc are some of the nicest I've met, that I will agree

the drivers are friendly once your in their Tuk Tuk, but are they friendly when you walk by having said no and start muttering to each other in their language you don't understand but you know it's about you

I'm currently in Sihanoukville, sitting in a beach side restaurant and a little kid who has been told by his mother to sell bracelets comes in. We say no a couple of times and he then turns around and says f##k off to us, he was no more than 5 but new what we saying, his mother heard him and does nothing except come in and then try sell us a manicure

This to me is as rude as it gets and horrible behaviour

An elderly Aussie couple told us a kid begging threw the money back at them onto the floor and walked off. At his young age of probably 4 he deemed it was not enough and wanted more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Rob01 wrote: »
    Everyone? I'm finding this hard to believe. Hotel staff, bar tenders and waiters etc are some of the nicest I've met, that I will agree

the drivers are friendly once your in their Tuk Tuk, but are they friendly when you walk by having said no and start muttering to each other in their language you don't understand but you know it's about you

I'm currently in Sihanoukville, sitting in a beach side restaurant and a little kid who has been told by his mother to sell bracelets comes in. We say no a couple of times and he then turns around and says f##k off to us, he was no more than 5 but new what we saying, his mother heard him and does nothing except come in and then try sell us a manicure

This to me is as rude as it gets and horrible behaviour

An elderly Aussie couple told us a kid begging threw the money back at them onto the floor and walked off. At his young age of probably 4 he deemed it was not enough and wanted more

Yes everyone (bar immigration but they are grumpy in every country).

The tuk tuk drivers were really cool when I was there. How do you know that they are muttering about you? By your reasoning if I finish talking to someone in work and they turn around and say something to someone else that I can't make out, they must be talking about me.

I travel a lot and I find that depending on my mood, reaction etc. that people react differently. My own attitude often influences the situation I find myself in.

traprunner wrote: »
    Yes everyone (bar immigration but they are grumpy in every country).

The tuk tuk drivers were really cool when I was there. How do you know that they are muttering about you? By your reasoning if I finish talking to someone in work and they turn around and say something to someone else that I can't make out, they must be talking about me.

I travel a lot and I find that depending on my mood, reaction etc. that people react differently. My own attitude often influences the situation I find myself in.

Well I can't confirm it as I don't speak the language but it's fairly obvious. You politely say "no thank you" 3 times, the 4th time might be just a "no" or nothing at all and then you hear the disgruntled mutterings of a language you don't understand but it's plainly obvious that it's about you

I'm all for been friendly with locals and embracing the culture but my point on the Cambodians is they are the worst I've experienced compared to the other countries I've been too, struggle to take a simple no thank you as an answer & could learn a lot from the Indonesian or Filipinos for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Rob01 wrote: »
    So I've been travelling South East Asia for 3 months now. The countries I've visited are Indonesia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and now Cambodia.

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. the level of harassment me and my girlfriend have received from Tuk Tuk drivers, beggers, street vendors & souvenir sales people has really put me off the country.

Yes I expect them to look for our business but the constant not taking no for an answer is hard to handle and in my opinion is 10 times worse than any of the other asian countries I've been too listed above.

I know the Khymer people have been through a lot but aggressive demands and constant harrassment is not going to help me decide to part way with my dollars and give it to them.

One example is we bought 6 scarfs off a lady at a market, then she start trying to sell us more. We kindly said no, then she starts trying to sell us other items, we again decline. As we start waking away she starts screaming for us to spend more money. I'm there thinking I just gave you $20US you could be a little more grateful.

Or you say no to one Tuk Tuk driver and the next 3-4 lads all sitting beside him ask the same question? Like what is there logic in thinking? If I want a lift I'll stop and look for one, not walk past a group of them and have to say no 5 times in a row just to shut them up

Just wondering have other people had similar experiences in Cambodia?

It's because you are English speaking you are an easy target.

When I was in travelling and was speaking Dutch to my friend I didn't get any hassle or people hassling me to sell ****, the Dutch directness is well known.

When I spoke English I constantly had people hassling me and pretending to be upset trying to use emotional blackmail to get you to buy stuff.

The problem is that so many Irish/UK people have visited these places and have set the precedent that if you pretend to be upset you'll get more guilt money out of them and also that no doesn't mean no.

It might feel rude but if someone is pushing stuff in your face trying to sell you stuff then just saying nothing and pretend like they don't exist.

This stuff is usually localised to the areas where tourists are walking through or visiting though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Found Cambodians really friendly. We only stayed in Sihanoukville for a day was a bit of a dump. In Koh Rong spent about 12 hours drinking with local police and they paid for everything. Some one the friendliest people. Even the TukTuk drivers I found friendly as long as you were good humoured too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

My take on it is this: in the tourist zones, you get a bit more malarky, than in other parts or in neighbouring Thailand or Vietnam. But outside these areas, things are fine. We had a cheeky tuk-tuk driver one day, but an incredibly lovely and interesting official tour guide in Siem Reap/Angkor. My only regret is not having got out into real Cambodia to see more of the country and meet what seems to be a very lovely people. But I literally can't give anything more than an outsider's perspective who only spend four or five days as a guest in their country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Just start speaking Irish or something or else ignore them. We are a very apologetic nation and dont like being rude. These people try to use it to their advantage.

Will always remember the tribal people of Sapa Vietnam "helping" us on our trek. We engaged with them which was our big mistake. When our trek was over they proceeded to shout and threaten us until we gave them money/bought their crap. A group of four Swiss didnt engage with them and ignored their faux friendship and had no hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Its you. All you.

• Advertisement

Saipanne wrote: »
    Its you. All you.

Great comment to go along with the thread.

I guess I just imagined it all and has nothing to do with my experiences over the past 2 weeks compared to 12 weeks in other South East Asian countries

But thanks for your insight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Cambodia is still relatively recently touristy, that could be the reason. Give them time. It's a very poor country still recovering from years of violence and oppression...
    We didn't find a huge difference ourselves with the other countries. If they think they can talk you into buying something, they'll keep it up. In Sapa they follow you for the whole hike befriending you in the hope you buy some stuff and the longer they follow you the more indebted you feel...

I found Cambodian people to be lovely, really couldn't do enough for us.
    Yes there were a few kids who hassled us, but we ignored them eventually they went away.

To be honest, I didn't think they were any worse than people in turkey/Tunisia etc for wrecking our heads.

I hope you are not going to Vietnam OP, because the people there are rude, and as an English speaking westerner I reckon you're definitely treated worse than any other race.

But, given their history, its understandable, and I wouldnt take it to heart. I loved the country and I did meet some lovely people.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Found Cambodians really friendly. We only stayed in Sihanoukville for a day was a bit of a dump. In Koh Rong spent about 12 hours drinking with local police and they paid for everything. Some one the friendliest people. Even the TukTuk drivers I found friendly as long as you were good humoured too.

Please tell me you were not drinking with Cambodian locals all day and didn't pay your way? You realize they probably spend several days salary to impress you? And for you its only one hour salary?
    A lot of people who are getting these hostile reactions need to look at their own attitude and reactions, as you will will get what you give ten fold in Cambodia. The Cambodian people are hugely tolerant, but Irish, American, British, often go to Asia and want things their way. Well stay at home then, and dont ruin it for those who go to experience, appreciate and understand these countries, the good and the bad.

Advertisement