Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lots of leave to take

Options
  • 23-10-2014 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

So for various reasons I have a lot of leave (just over 3 weeks) to take before the year and I have no idea what to do.

First I was thinking doing a week surfing, then week in Germany and then another week snowboarding in France.

But then someone said Australia to me and now I'm thinking about New Zealand, Australia and maybe Thailand.

I would be doing this on my own and I was wondering do anyone have any suggestions on what I can do with such a small amount of time to plan?

I would like to do something that will keep me busy (ie activity based) rather than just lying on a beach somewhere.

Comments

Vietnam is a good option for 2 to 3 weeks. Great place, great food, safe.
    North to south starting in Hanoi and ending in Ho Chi Minh (Saigon).
    Hanoi 1/2 days, optional up and back to Sapa (2/3 days), Halong bay (near Hanoi) 2 days 1 night, Hanoi, (overnight train - fun) Hue (1 night), bus Hoi An, 3/4 days, fly to Saigon, do Mekong Delta. Go to beach at mui ne for a few days (try kitesurfing there mabye).
    Can be cheaper to get to Vietnam through Bangkok - maybe stay a night there . You'll meet people along the way who are going the same way for sure once you're sociable.

another option of course is Thailand - arrive in Bangkok, go up to Chang Mai maybe, then down to the islands - Ko Phangan (don't stay at haad rin too long.

wouldn't recommend Australia - very very expensive and culturally not much different to Ireland. some nice scenery but 1000's of miles apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

done4now wrote: »
    So for various reasons I have a lot of leave (just over 3 weeks) to take before the year and I have no idea what to do.

First I was thinking doing a week surfing, then week in Germany and then another week snowboarding in France.

But then someone said Australia to me and now I'm thinking about New Zealand, Australia and maybe Thailand.

I would be doing this on my own and I was wondering do anyone have any suggestions on what I can do with such a small amount of time to plan?

I would like to do something that will keep me busy (ie activity based) rather than just lying on a beach somewhere.

Id recommend Argentina. Plenty to see but there are long distances between places. Waterfalls in the North, Glaciers and treks in the South, Rafting in the West. You'd probably need three weeks at least but is cheap with the Blue dollar.

Would also recommend the Vietnam itinerary above. Maybe consider nha trang but that probably fits the resort type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭wicorthered

I'm just back from Colombia. Beautiful country. Head up north to Cartagena, great spt to chill out for a couple of weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Definitely go to South America. I'd second Colombia if you can get cheap flights. Cartagena is absolutely amazing & the areas like Taganga up north would be pretty good for surfing I'd imagine. Pristine Caribbean beaches & when you go South you've got Salento, Popayan, Barichara, San Gil. And that's before you get to Bogota or Medellin, and Medellin is definitely one of the best cities in South America.

Advertisement