Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobic comments allowed on Facebook

Options
  • 25-10-2014 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭

Heterosexual guy dies of aids and a national newspaper posts the story to its feed on Facebook. Guy posts abuse calling him a queer and I reported it to Facebook and they reply with this
    Status
    Submitted Today
    This comment wasn't removed

Facebook Help Team
    Thank you for taking the time to report something that you feel may violate our Community Standards. Reports like yours are an important part of making Facebook a safe and welcoming environment. We reviewed the comment you reported for containing hate speech or symbols and found it doesn't violate our Community Standards.

That isn't the only comment I reported on there this week. The other day about 20 people were commenting on a post about peadophile making links between it and homosexuality and making homophobic comments/threats about clubs in Dublin and grindr.

I just deactivated my account on there. I'm not going to stay on a site that allows homophobic little ****s to post stuff like that. Pissed off now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

I feel that way sometimes if you're playing games online, and either the other player spams homophobic tripe or when they realise you yourself are gay, that you should "go *** yourself, kill yourself and die". You can't reason with primative knuckle draggers like this, as annoying as they are.

Homophobia for the most part isn't a fear of gays, it's just being a complete asshole.

Having said that whenever I do feel the need I contact technical support and issue a ticket with any username, chat log reference etc. They email back thanking me, saying sorry and that they'll investigate the issue. But then they say they cannot legally (wtf?) tell me the outcome of such investigations due to privacy. So if that's a fob off I don't know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Sadly, they allow that and much worse on Facebook, there's all sorts of nasty hate groups and things on there, I've reported things and there's really very little they ever do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You can rereport stuff.

They have tended upto now to go the us freedom of speech line but now because of law crackdowns in Europe they are a bit more harsh.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Essentially, some people are just *****.

Essentially, some people are just *****.

I've been thinking about this a lot. To me it's an attitude of accepting homophobia and suggesting that homophobic discourse shouldnt be challenged. I suppose if you took that to its extreme we would have the stonewall rioters and David Norris just accepting their lot in life and still effectively have many strong human rights abuses within legal frameworks.

I also see it in a slightly different way. Essentially a lot of people congregate in spaces on the internet. Surely allowing hate speech to take over the internet you are essentially saying that the internet does not welcome certain groups. Look at AH at the moment. That in a way is kind of like a public space. Many women and men are saying there that they feel a sense of overwhelming mysogyny overtaking the place. Many of the posters there are saying they rarely post anymore because they are saying a culture of mysogyny is so pervasive and unwelcoming. Surely just accepting such a culture is forcing women out of a public space.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

you're right in that it should be challenged, but censorship (which this topic is about: the attempt to censor Facebook messages) is not the way to do it.
    Nor is being anti-censor tied to being "accepting" of online homophobia.
    The key point is challenging homophobia is the way to challenge homophobia; let people have their hate speech and their unlikable messages so we know their views, then, oppose those views.

You can't educate or enlighten by "banning" things or filing "please remove" requests. This is where so many minority/equality fighters get it wrong.

You won't cure homophobia by making it illegal to speak bad of gay people just like you won't get rid of gay people by making homosexuality illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

I have reported all kinds of stuff to Facebook before for being homophobic, racist, sexist, graphically violent or sexually explicit, yet they don't ever seen to care. They just say it is their policy to allow freedom of expression on their site. At some point though, they are going to have to do something about it or face some form of legal action?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I've been thinking about this a lot. To me it's an attitude of accepting homophobia and suggesting that homophobic discourse shouldnt be challenged. I suppose if you took that to its extreme we would have the stonewall rioters and David Norris just accepting their lot in life and still effectively have many strong human rights abuses within legal frameworks.

I also see it in a slightly different way. Essentially a lot of people congregate in spaces on the internet. Surely allowing hate speech to take over the internet you are essentially saying that the internet does not welcome certain groups. Look at AH at the moment. That in a way is kind of like a public space. Many women and men are saying there that they feel a sense of overwhelming mysogyny overtaking the place. Many of the posters there are saying they rarely post anymore because they are saying a culture of mysogyny is so pervasive and unwelcoming. Surely just accepting such a culture is forcing women out of a public space.

I'd rather be offended then to only be allowed say things which are in line with the morals of the prevailing majority.

Afterall, censoring all homophobic comments isn't actually very far removed from the Russian gay propaganda laws. That are both two sides of the same coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

It's just facebook. Which has basically become buzzfeed and window into an Idiocracy-inspired future. I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

floggg wrote: »
    I'd rather be offended then to only be allowed say things which are in line with the morals of the prevailing majority.

Afterall, censoring all homophobic comments isn't actually very far removed from the Russian gay propaganda laws. That are both two sides of the same coin.

I'd rather the internet be open enough to be safe space for all rather than the likes of AH being completely unwelcome to women which many women now claim it is. There are many ways of combating hate speech; education, laws, campaigning, reporting mechanisms, counter speech. Sometimes obviously when hate speech goes too far ie inciting hatred it should be censored as at that point the right to freedom of expression is clashing with others human rights and they also have the right to protection.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

I'd rather the internet be open enough to be safe space for all rather than the likes of AH being completely unwelcome to women which many women now claim it is. There are many ways of combating hate speech; education, laws, campaigning, reporting mechanisms, counter speech. Sometimes obviously when hate speech goes too far ie inciting hatred it should be censored as at that point the right to freedom of expression is clashing with others human rights and they also have the right to protection.

The problem with this is that although the person can't express their hate speech the hatred still exists, and arguably exacerbated as they cry martyrdom. People have the right to protection, that's why we have harassment laws and why trolling can result in infractions. I can't help but feel that censoring their vitriol is merely sweeping it under the carpet. After all, if they can't express their odious opinions how can we get the chance to correct them?

The problem with this is that although the person can't express their hate speech the hatred still exists, and arguably exacerbated as they cry martyrdom. People have the right to protection, that's why we have harassment laws and why trolling can result in infractions. I can't help but feel that censoring their vitriol is merely sweeping it under the carpet. After all, if they can't express their odious opinions how can we get the chance to correct them?

Im talking of examples where is clear ongoing harassment or clear incitement that will endanger. Like the recent example in Waterford where numerous facebook and twitter pages suggested "burning roma cünts out of their homes"

Terry Pratchet

The thing about the internet is that it's the ultimate free space. Somebody mentioned misogyny in After Hours. I don't know if it exists or not or to what extent but that's not the point. If people feel that AH is misogynistic then they and their conversation will move elsewhere. Arguably this has happened and is why the Ladies Lounge is so popular. Now we have two forums for everyone to share their views, palatable or no . The alternative is a strict policing of AH where some people would still feel uncomfortable engaging. So the AH+TLL solution is win-win imo.

Wtr Facebook, if people start to dislike it due to its lack of moderating (for want of a better word) they'll just go elsewhere. And they have started to. It's not just the arrival of parents, aunts, and grandparents that has pushed young people away from Facebook, it's that it's a platform that doesn't cater to them the way they like. I think that by sensoring Facebook, you actually stifle innovation. Allowing the masses to decide for themselves what they're willing to put up with will allow for the growth of a rich variety of ways of communicating with each other. Forcing Facebook to sensor (how exactly anyway - by law?) just keeps Facebook plodding along to the detriment of other innovations.

Aard wrote: »
    The thing about the internet is that it's the ultimate free space. Somebody mentioned misogyny in After Hours. I don't know if it exists or not or to what extent but that's not the point. If people feel that AH is misogynistic then they and their conversation will move elsewhere. Arguably this has happened and is why the Ladies Lounge is so popular. Now we have two forums for everyone to share their views, palatable or no . The alternative is a strict policing of AH where some people would still feel uncomfortable engaging. So the AH+TLL solution is win-win imo.

Wtr Facebook, if people start to dislike it due to its lack of moderating (for want of a better word) they'll just go elsewhere. And they have started to. It's not just the arrival of parents, aunts, and grandparents that has pushed young people away from Facebook, it's that it's a platform that doesn't cater to them the way they like. I think that by sensoring Facebook, you actually stifle innovation. Allowing the masses to decide for themselves what they're willing to put up with will allow for the growth of a rich variety of ways of communicating with each other. Forcing Facebook to sensor (how exactly anyway - by law?) just keeps Facebook plodding along to the detriment of other innovations.

The internet really isnt a free space. Its subjected to national laws, international laws, policies and standards.

It seems to me that some of you arguing for a type of darwinistic survival of the fittest governance system of the internet.

A complete free for all that complete disregards human rights and that allows minorities and women to be constantly attacked and vilified to the point of exclusion and forcing them off the internet.

Terry Pratchet

I think you're reading a bit too much into my post there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I took the same points from your post that Joey took from it.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I took the same points from your post that Joey took from it.

Great.

The internet really isnt a free space. Its subjected to national laws, international laws, policies and standards.

It seems to me that some of you arguing for a type of darwinistic survival of the fittest governance system of the internet.

A complete free for all that complete disregards human rights and that allows minorities and women to be constantly attacked and vilified to the point of exclusion and forcing them off the internet.

I don't think that's the case at all.

there is a major distinction between the expression of bigoted views and incitred to hate and or threats or harassment against specified persons.

While the latter is rightly prohibited, the former should never be.

While it may make me personally uncomfortable to have to read it, I know that they same principles which enable them to spew bile in public is the same principle which enabled minorities to express themselves freely when the shoe was on the other foot and bigotry was in vogue.

It would be little different from the Russian gay propaganda laws - in both cases the prevailing determinesdeter is acceptable for the minority to say.

The law should only step in where that speech crosses the line into threatening or encouraging violence or harm against a minority or specified persons.

Unless and until then they should be allowed to spew their bile. However thankfully freedom of speech laws already give us a very powerful weapon to fight back - our own freedom of speech and the right to put forward our counter argument. And usually if we speak with enough volume and coherence, we will be able to drown them out.

As for anonymous trolls and bigots online, the only way to deal with them is to relegate them to the sidelines. If you don't like the way certain sites handle moderation, speak up or speak with your feet. They will soon change if the realise it's affecting their image and they will choose to change how they moderate.

If you are concerned about young people using anonymous sites like that ask.fm thing, talk to your kids and ensure they don't use it.

Censorship should never be forced upon any sites or users unless they cross the line referred to above.

I quoted you but I was referring to perhaps others more so.

Terry Pratchet

Fair enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I'd rather people were allowed to say what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

But without the cowardly cloak of anonymity.

But without the cowardly cloak of anonymity.

most people on facebook are not trying to be annonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

most people on facebook are not trying to be annonymous.

guess you're right on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Demonique

You could contact the paper and inform them of the comment, I have informed companies of sexist comments on their posts in the past and they've been removed

Whilst that is an ideal situation, it just puts everyone at the top of a slippery slope. When does saying what you want become unacceptable? If it doesn't, how do you protect certain groups from hate speech, threats etc. If the attitude is "tough, deal with it" then what happens when it is you who gets hurt or offended by something someone else says? Can you practice what you preach?

Paddy C wrote: »
    Whilst that is an ideal situation, it just puts everyone at the top of a slippery slope. When does saying what you want become unacceptable? If it doesn't, how do you protect certain groups from hate speech, threats etc. If the attitude is "tough, deal with it" then what happens when it is you who gets hurt or offended by something someone else says? Can you practice what you preach?

I can. People offend me all the time.

Yes, but this isn't only about you.

Paddy C wrote: »
    Yes, but this isn't only about you.

No ****. It's about whether or not offending a gay person should be it's own special category of wrong.

• Advertisement

No ****. It's about whether or not offending a gay person should be it's own special category of wrong.

I don't think anybody is saying it's just comments which are offensive to gay people that should or should be able to be censored.

It's a general principal that applies equally to lots of different types of f hate speech.

There must be and is a line at what you can and cannot say. Freedom of speech has never been, nor should it be, am absolute freedom.

The debate is where the line should be drawn. I personally believe we should allow free speech as far as possible but it would be very naive and foolish to think people should be able to say what they want.

Just look at the way hate speech was used in Rwanda to drive a genocide. And even today how it's being used in Uganda etc to incite violence against lgbt people.

Advertisement