Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress - am i missing something?

Options
  • 21-10-2014 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I am trying to use wordpress to build a site.
    Is there somewhere I can get a quick install of wordpress? Ive tried a few sites now and any I have tried I am not getting much joy, its telling me to drop files to my server and databases and all this jargon.
    I take it I have to download this software in order to build a site as I cant seem to do much on the wordpress.com main website?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Most hosting accounts offer a quick install function these days. Who is your hosting with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

mel123 wrote: »
    Hi
    I am trying to use wordpress to build a site.
    Is there somewhere I can get a quick install of wordpress? Ive tried a few sites now and any I have tried I am not getting much joy, its telling me to drop files to my server and databases and all this jargon.
    I take it I have to download this software in order to build a site as I cant seem to do much on the wordpress.com main website?

Wordpress is a web application which uses a database and a HTTP server to serve up pages. To get it working on your own server you will need to setup a database.

Do you have a hosting account?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This is gonna sound mean - but it's for the good of the internet.

OP, yes, you are missing something. That something is the technical nous to use Wordpress safely. Despite what some ads say, there is no such thing as just a quick install. Even if you have a host that does this in one click, you still need to learn to access whether their version is up to date, and whether any plugins that you use are also up to date. Being able for this is the absolute minimum skill level required - and to do anything interesting you will need to do a lot more.

Can I suggest that you either hire someone who does have the chops, or try a simpler product like Blogger.

This is gonna sound mean - but it's for the good of the internet.

OP, yes, you are missing something. That something is the technical nous to use Wordpress safely. Despite what some ads say, there is no such thing as just a quick install. Even if you have a host that does this in one click, you still need to learn to access whether their version is up to date, and whether any plugins that you use are also up to date. Being able for this is the absolute minimum skill level required - and to do anything interesting you will need to do a lot more.

Can I suggest that you either hire someone who does have the chops, or try a simpler product like Blogger.

I know of one host that has a one-click install, auto updates (plugins too) and auto backup. This makes it very easy to manage, almost as easy as the .com version.

Have a look here for some video courses, see if Wordpress is right for you.

https://www.udemy.com/courses/search/?q=wordpress&p=1&price=price-free&view=grid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

Thanks for the replies folks. I was going by recommendations on here to use Wordpress. Im fairly confident I can find my way around it once I get it installed. I will contact the web hosting company first (<Mod snip>).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Good Luck with that! There are there for 'technical issues' not install handholds. They do have an 'apps installer' in their cpanel setup, which will do some of the spade work - but you'll have to get through the bit about the database etc- well documented ion the 'net

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

look wordpress is a application or a program that you download to your computer.
    it come in a zipped file to make it smaller and easier to download.

you then upload it to your webspace (your account with a hosting company)

unzip the file navigate to the installation folder in a web browser (you will have to type in the address)

During the install process you will be asked for details of an ftp account and location of your database server.

All the above stuff is very straight forward, it is the same as getting a new app for your smartphone, for people who are familiar with it.

If you feel it is complicated just give it a try but delete the installation afterwards until you are more sure of what you are doing.

I'm not fishing for business here I'm just saying take baby steps.

sheesh wrote: »
    look wordpress is a application or a program that you download to your computer.
    it come in a zipped file to make it smaller and easier to download.

you then upload it to your webspace (your account with a hosting company)

unzip the file navigate to the installation folder in a web browser (you will have to type in the address)

During the install process you will be asked for details of an ftp account and location of your database server.

All the above stuff is very straight forward, it is the same as getting a new app for your smartphone, for people who are familiar with it.

If you feel it is complicated just give it a try but delete the installation afterwards until you are more sure of what you are doing.

I'm not fishing for business here I'm just saying take baby steps.

Sounds like you need some help with it too. :pac:

Advertisement