Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf Mk5 RCD300 problems.. All advice welcome

Options
  • 06-10-2014 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi,

We have a 2006 Golf Mk5 with the RCD300 OEM head unit. After the kids ran amok while my wife was cleaning the car it has stopped working and the screen is blank. While the stereo is on there is an audible beep through the speakers every so often but no other signs of life.

I took the dash apart and had to remove several coins from the stereo..... I've checked the fuses and the ones relating to the stereo (fuse board and back of unit) seem to be OK.

I was looking into buying a new head unit but the intermittent beep is throwing me. Can someone let me know what this might be? I am reluctant to buy a new head unit and wiring kits only to find that the stereo was not the cause of the problem.....

Also, any advice on which wiring kit I need would be greatly appreciated. Is it really necessary to buy the full can-bus enabled cables at 100 bucks to avoid battery drain and other problems?

I've researched this as much as I can online but dont seem to be getting anywhere fast.

Any/All help would be greatly approciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Maybe theres some more coins in the CD slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭dohda

Thanks for the replies

No. There isn't any bluetooth kit fitted and definitly no more coins in the stereo. I took the entire HU out and removed the faceplate so its all good that way.

maybe the HU is goosed which is fair enough. I was hoping the beep (like a pc error code) meant something.

Has anyone any advice on what needs done with replacing one of these with an aftermarket unit? The can-bus setup is a new one to me.

Thank again

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kfog

Check out
    http://www.connects2.co.uk/en-gb/home.aspx

Cables will depend on the aftermarket unit you get and if your car has steering wheel controls

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

dohda wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies

No. There isn't any bluetooth kit fitted and definitly no more coins in the stereo. I took the entire HU out and removed the faceplate so its all good that way.

maybe the HU is goosed which is fair enough. I was hoping the beep (like a pc error code) meant something.

Has anyone any advice on what needs done with replacing one of these with an aftermarket unit? The can-bus setup is a new one to me.

Thank again

If MP3 is written on facia just above the cd slot then you have a serious power supply fault.

Advertisement