Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind & Waterproof Jacket recommendations

Options
  • 06-10-2014 5:05pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I'm looking for a wind and waterproof jacket goretex or similar and it must have sealed seems. (basically it must meet the requirement for Centurium events and the likes of UTMB/CCC/TDS)

I know of the Salomon Bonatti Waterproof Jacket but curious what else people use or recommend and where did you source yours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I got the Ronhill Tempest this year for the team when we were doing the beast of Ballyhoura. A class bit of kit. http://www.ronhill.com/trail-tempest-jacket-5

Be using it again very soon judging by the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

After the soaking I got during Wicklow way this year I was tempted by both Montane minimus and Columbia Rainstormer

I ended up with a Marmot Essence because it was on sale on sportspursuit the week I was buying. It's a great light waterproof jacket with a good degree of breath-ability.
    Not sure if it meets the specs above.

One observation I do have is the degree of breath-ability is dependent on the layer(s) underneath, high wicking tops tend to breath less - if you know what I mean.
    I have a collection of normal "tech-tees" from races and they don't work well. I have a great Berghaus top that doesn't wick as quickly and the jacket breaths better.
    Might be just me, but worth considering.

Advertisement