Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speeding

• 17-11-2013 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Last night I drove passed a garda traffic Corp van that was parked on the side of a road in park West. I was doing 130 kph or so, I think the speed limit was 50/6kph any ideas what they will do about it? Bought the car the day b4 so it's in the previous owners name atm I assume.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Did the van flash at you? The previous owner will no doubt pass any points or fines onto you, deservedly so, that's mental speed to be doing in that zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Probably 2 points and a fine. Could have got lucky and they were checking speed at the time you passed.

Live and learn. Don't speed on that strip of road again :pac

Edit:Prepare to be verbally assaulted OP!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

willyob wrote: »
    Last night I drove passed a garda traffic Corp van that was parked on the side of a road in park West. I was doing 130 kph or so, I think the speed limit was 50/6kph any ideas what they will do about it? Bought the car the day b4 so it's in the previous owners name atm I assume.

Thanks

You deserve to be put off the road for doing that speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 willyob

Did the van flash at you? The previous owner will no doubt pass any points or fines onto you, deservedly so, that's mental speed to be doing in that zone.

Don't think it flashed me. I expect him to. It was a straight empty road. Not going thru a town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

wind up i'd say

• Advertisement

Days 298 wrote: »
    Probably 2 points and a fine. Could have got lucky and they were checking speed at the time you passed.

Live and learn. Don't speed on that strip of road again :pac

Edit:Prepare to be verbally assaulted OP!!!

The standard is 2 points and 80e fine but thinking more because of the speed? Op?

corktina wrote: »
    wind up i'd say

That came into my mind but I doubt it "/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If they caught you, then most likely mandatory court appearance for careless driving I would imagine. Over double the speed limit isn't a simple speeding fine.

Kensington wrote: »
    If they caught you, then most likely mandatory court appearance for careless driving I would imagine. Over double the speed limit isn't a simple speeding fine.

What would they charge me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,244 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

What would they charge me

About 2,400 volts DC if possible :)

• Advertisement

About 2,400 volts DC if possible :)

Seems fair ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,491 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Where does it say that driving over the speed limit implies driving 'without due care and attention' which is the legal definition of careless driving (S.52)? Most people driving at speed are paying way more attention to their driving than people driving on autopilot at 30-50 kph.

It might be even difficult to make a charge of dangerous driving stick given that we're talking about an industrial estate on a Saturday night. The cops charged a guy down the country a couple of years ago with dangerous driving when they caught him driving way over the limit I think on a stretch of the M4 near Mullingar. The judge said that there was no evidence that anyone was in danger (the road was empty at the time) and no evidence that the driver wasn't exercising proper control of the vehicle so the dangerous driving charge was dismissed. Naturally he got hammered on exceeding the speed limit but that was it.

coylemj wrote: »
    Where does it say that driving over the speed limit implies driving 'without due care and attention' which is the legal definition of careless driving (S.52)? Most people driving at speed are paying way more attention to their driving than people driving on autopilot at 30-50 kph.

It might be even difficult to make a charge of dangerous driving stick given that we're talking about an industrial estate on a Saturday night. The cops charged a guy down the country a couple of years ago with dangerous driving when they caught him driving way over the limit I think on a stretch of the M4 near Mullingar. The judge said that there was no evidence that anyone was in danger (the road was empty at the time) and no evidence that the driver wasn't exercising proper control of the vehicle so the dangerous driving charge was dismissed. Naturally he got hammered on exceeding the speed limit but that was it.

It was half 12 at night :) nobody around except garda van ha. So basically I just have to wait and see what happens? Could I use excuse like I needed toilet or something haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thanks
    If you want to do that speed, find a more appropriate road.

If you want to troll, don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

It was half 12 at night :) nobody around except garda van ha. So basically I just have to wait and see what happens? Could I use excuse like I needed toilet or something haha

yes I expect so, tell the Gard you are full of ...oh. I'm not allowed say that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭SeanW

SeaDaily wrote: »
    You deserve to be put off the road for doing that speed.
    Aye - I'm no angel regards speed nor do I advocate anyone else be either, but 80MPH in an industrial estate is taking the piss.

Can give us a Google Map view of the road in question?

I never said the OP hard and fast definitely would - hence the "I imagine" bit of my post.
    From the OP's post they may not have even been caught and may well get away with nothing.

I'm not going to argue with you the validity of whether doing over double the speed limit constitutes driving without due care and attention, careless or dangerous driving, or that somehow the faster you go the safer you are. That is for the Gardai and, if necessary, the courts to decide upon.

(Conversely, to your example, a pretty well known musician got done for careless driving last year for driving at 170Km/h on the M1, a 120Km/hzone - not even over half the speed limit, never mind double).

whats op?? there is a difference in doubling the speed limit if its 120kph then there is at 50kph. 100 kph is not that fast but 240 kph is. im not trying to say its right to do im just pointing out the difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭SeanW

OP = Original Poster.

cant get a pic of the road if u search on google maps park west ind park, the red arrow thing is on that exact road its called the park west road. its about half mile long nice and wide good road. I like driving fast but I don't do it stupidly. yes it does make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,491 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm not going to argue with you the validity of whether doing over double the speed limit constitutes driving without due care and attention, careless or dangerous driving, or that somehow the faster you go the safer you are. That is for the Gardai and, if necessary, the courts to decide upon.

That's a pretty two-faced response - you're not going to argue with me blah blah blah and then you impute to me an opinion I never expressed viz. the faster you drive, the safer you are.

I'll repeat it and please try to read this slowly and carefully ...... exceeding the speed limit does not in and of itself imply that you are driving 'without due care and attention'.

You can drive without paying proper attention at any speed - under or over the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have never heard of anything further than a simple speeding FPN coming from a camera van. People done for careless/inconsiderate driving while speeding that I'm aware of have all been caught by hand.

That's a pretty two-faced response - you're not going to argue with me blah blah blah and then you impute to me an opinion I never expressed viz. the faster you drive, the safer you are.

I'll repeat it and please try to read this slowly and carefully ...... exceeding the speed limit does not in and of itself imply that you are driving 'without due care and attention'.

You can drive without paying proper attention at any speed - under or over the limit.
    Duly noted, thanks.

nobody there to catch me by hand.. so I might get a summons sent by post no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I have a feeling that Parkwest Road may actually be a private road with public access, similar to certain roads in CityWest. If so, a Garda speed detector may have no legal basis to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭SteM

whats op?? there is a difference in doubling the speed limit if its 120kph then there is at 50kph. 100 kph is not that fast but 240 kph is. im not trying to say its right to do im just pointing out the difference
    SeanW wrote: »
    OP = Original Poster.

Although in this case it should be dOPe imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Victor wrote: »
    If you want to do that speed, find a more appropriate road.

In Germany preferably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

cant get a pic of the road if u search on google maps park west ind park, the red arrow thing is on that exact road its called the park west road. its about half mile long nice and wide good road. I like driving fast but I don't do it stupidly. yes it does make sense.

It seems like you have learned no lessons from this. If you're doing 80mph and someone drunk steps out in front of you then you won't have the time to brake and you're going to run them over.

Will it take you murdering an innocent person before you cop yourself on ? Do you want that on your consciousness for the rest of your life ?

If you want to drive fast then go to a track day in Mondello and stop being so selfish as to put other peoples lives at risk just so you can get your kicks.

Advertisement