Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pick Pocket in Bus Queue

Options
  • 16-11-2013 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Was queuing for the bus on D'Olier street on Friday and as usually happens when the bus arrived 2 queues formed; one for cash and one for card. So people were standing close together but nothing major.

Felt my backpack being nudged, so I moved it to my front. Felt my elbow nudged, thought 'ah here it's hardly a panic to get on the bus'. Then felt my arm nudged again- as there was no crush in the queue I thought this was a bit odd/rude and the person behind me was unnecessarily close.

My iphone was in my very shallow pocket and sure enough the guy behind me had his hand at my pocket and immediately pulled it back so I turned around, stood toe to toe with him. He was rather short 5'4 and had a baseball cap pulled right down over his face. I stood there waiting for him look up, next thing he took off!

He was absolutely pretending to queue. Rather clever, I dare say.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Anywhere people are in close proximity to others and some element of jostling is to be expected is fertile territory for pickpockets. Top of the tree is the betting ring at a racecourse because by definition anyone standing there has cash ready to spend and you usually have to elbow people out of the way to get to the bookie with the best odds! Also on the list are bus queues as you've discovered, exiting from major sports events and concerts, busy bars etc.

I know exactly how you felt because as I waited to get off the crowded Dart yesterday to go to the Latvia match, I suddenly remembered that I had my smartphone in a shallow coat pocket so I quickly switched it to an inner pocket, it would have been way too easy to lift it without me knowing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I dont have much easily accessible through pockets. Tends to be something I look at before even buying jeans or coats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Always keep your phone in your front pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭worded

Prague has the best pick pockets in the world.

Travel writers have confirmed it.

There was a documentary / film crew filming with a local business man in the know a iut pick poockets in Prague and during filming he was robbed !

I was drunk in Prague and they tried me but didnt succeed.
    A smart arse taxi driver no less. They are notorious crooks in Prague

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Only time I was ever dipped was by a junkie bitch in Prague. Luckily another lad saw it and grabbed her. Had to stop him from bashing her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Stojkovic wrote: »
    Only time I was ever dipped was by a junkie bitch in Prague. Luckily another lad saw it and grabbed her. Had to stop him from bashing her.
    Moderate your language please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Stojkovic wrote: »
    Only time I was ever dipped was by a (undesirable person) in Prague. Luckily another lad saw it and grabbed her. Had to stop him from bashing her.
    I wouldn't have stopped him ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I keep the price of a Taxi in my shoe when on a Stag.

Worst case scenario you can get back to the Hotel.

An ultra paranoid buddy of mine keeps a decoy wallet with five euros, an expired ATM card and an expired bus pass.

He has this weird thing like a bum bag that goes under his shirt for his valuables.

Also has a 30 euro phone with a prepaid sim.

He only uses them when he's going out drinking.

Nut job ... but he was mugged once and just handed over the decoy wallet and crap phone and they ran off.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Not a nut job, very sensible, I do the same when travelling abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,848 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

bk wrote: »
    Not a nut job, very sensible, I do the same when travelling abroad.
    did the same when living in Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,734 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

When I'm travelling (incluiding when I first came to Ireland) I keep a "day wallet" with enough cash for the stuff that day. Most cash and valuables go into the under-clothing pouch.

Advertisement