Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taking note of my reg

Options
  • 21-09-2014 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Was parked in a small street off o'connell street in Dublin last night. Went back to the car around 11pm and just as I was about to drive off a dodgy looking guy stopped next to my car. He was on a phone call and he read out my registration plate to the person he was on the phone to. Then suddenly walked off.
    What on earth could he have been doing?? My car is fairly nice (IMO). Should I be concerned?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

Cloning?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

yellow76 wrote: »
    Cloning?

I'm pretty sure that only happens from classified ads.

:pac: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Perhaps a number plate spotter with it being Friday night and all...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You thought he was 'dodgy looking' which probably means you gave him a dirty look, his response was to get your dander up by calling out your registration number to someone (possibly nobody) on his mobile. Sounds like he achieved the desired effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

If you were to rob a car for use in criminal activities you'd probably want to hide it in plain site, similar make, color etc with plates parked legally isn't going to attract much attention

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭legomanx51v

coylemj wrote: »
    You thought he was 'dodgy looking' which probably means you gave him a dirty look, his response was to get your dander up by calling out your registration number to someone (possibly nobody) on his mobile. Sounds like he achieved the desired effect.
    No I thought he was dodgy looking because he stopped walking just to read my plate out loud and then walked off quick again. No eye contact was made. I was on the phone myself at the time so was a little distracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

What kind of car is it? Maybe he wanted to run the reg through motorcheck or something and see what variant it is? I know that's what I do if I see a car I find different, but I save it on my phone, not blabbing it out loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

No I thought he was dodgy looking because he stopped walking just to read my plate out loud and then walked off quick again. No eye contact was made. I was on the phone myself at the time so was a little distracted.

Maybe he was just out of his mind.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭legomanx51v

It's a bmw and not debadged. So can't see why really.
    I was getting paranoid thinking they'd put a tracker on it while I was away and were following up on it to rob it or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Sounds stupid but I'd recognise most of my mates regs and cars, and my eyes would catch an usual reg on a particular car. He could have just been an enthusiast if you car is a rare model and wanted to check i.e. TDI with RS4 badges etc, or waiting for someone who happened to have the same car as you and called out the reg to check. Theres a million innocent reasons to call someone's reg out.

What is your exact make and model?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Was parked in a small street off o'connell street in Dublin last night. Went back to the car around 11pm and just as I was about to drive off a dodgy looking guy stopped next to my car. He was on a phone call and he read out my registration plate to the person he was on the phone to. Then suddenly walked off.
    What on earth could he have been doing?? My car is fairly nice (IMO). Should I be concerned?

What you encountered there is a wanker :D ignore it and drive on ( literally )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Was it legal to park there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Undercover cop doing a reg check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Car spotter...not enough trains nowadays.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

visual wrote: »
    Undercover cop doing a reg check

Not a very good one if thats the case :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Parked blocking a lane or rear entrance. Could be just a nosey neighbour that took a dislike to your parking there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I'm assuming it's an M - 2 door or a 4 door?

Advertisement