Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much will it cost me?

Options
  • 20-09-2014 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Right guys,

Just looking for a quick estimate before I get the car serviced next week.

VW Passat 1.9 tdi

1. Full service

2. 4 New tyres

3. 3 bulbs

4. Front brake pads

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

1. Define 'full' service - there's a specific service schedule tied to the mileage and age of the vehicle. Oil/oil filter/air filter/fuel filter will be about €100 in parts and less than 2 hours work. Timing belt is going to be €400-600 for parts and labour depending on where you go. Ask your mechanic about lockdown tools for the TDI if they look at you like you've two heads, find another mechanic.

2. Anything less than €250 for 4 tyres means you're getting ditchfinders. Expect to spend €320-350 for a decent set.

3. Should be complimentary if you're getting the other listed items done.

4. €50-60 IIRC for pads, half an hour to fit them. Joker in the pack here is whether or not the disks need changing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

VW Passat 1.9 tdi

1. Full service
    Oil and filters etc 80 euro guess
    2. 4 New tyres
    Depends on size and what you want. Bout 300-400 for decent 18s
    3. 3 bulbs
    10/20 euro for h7 type bulb. If they are xenon it could be much more
    4. Front brake pads
    40/50
    Cheers
    Depends a lot on what you want.

Never thought about the timing belt etc.
    There's so much you could get done. Bleeding brake lines. Radiator flush and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Full inspection service to include oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter and cabin filter approx €200. Brake fluid also should be changed every 2 years, allow €30-40 extra for that.

Tyres price will depend on the size. 205/55 16 would be anywhere from €65-95 each depending if you want good or cheap.

Front pads about €90.

bazery wrote: »
    2. 4 New tyres
    Depends on size and what you want. Bout 300-400 for decent 18s

Where can you get decent 18 inch tyres for €75 each?? You are firmly in ditch finder territory at that price!

Camskill no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

bazery wrote: »
    Camskill no?

Garages dont buy from Camskill. Even if they did you still need to take fitting into account.

djimi wrote: »
    Garages dont buy from Camskill. Even if they did you still need to take fitting into account.
    True. True.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Tyres price will depend on the size. 205/55 16 would be anywhere from €65-95 each depending if you want

How much should one pay for 215 55 16 extra load as fitted to current passat. Michelin or Bridgestone for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Right guys,

VW Passat 1.9 tdi

1. Full service

2. 4 New tyres

3. 3 bulbs

4. Front brake pads

Cheers

Just bring it to a main dealer and pay their ransom, believe what they say that it also needs, a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, I j..... and come back here to moan about their prices and expect replies that you should have used an indy or serviced it yourself

:pac:

mickdw wrote: »
    How much should one pay for 215 55 16 extra load as fitted to current passat. Michelin or Bridgestone for example?

Very expensive. Bridgestone in that size would be around €160 each.

Some of those Passats also came with 205/55 16 fitted so we always recommend people change from 215 back to 205 if all 4 tyres need changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Very expensive. Bridgestone in that size would be around €160 each.

Some of those Passats also came with 205/55 16 fitted so we always recommend people change from 215 back to 205 if all 4 tyres need changing.
    That's what I did on my Passat when I had it. The only payoff I could see was a slightly harder ride but that's being very picky.

I was also advised to do it by the tyre shop I use.

I'll be shopping for 2 225/50/17's soon, any idea what I'd be paying GD? I never realised you guys do them. They need to be non-directional tyres as they wear badly on the inside edge and I want to be able to flip them round on the rim.

Advertisement