Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Qualified welder vs coded welder

• 07-10-2014 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi!

Does anyone know the difference between a qualified welder/fabricator (ie has done fas apprenticeship etc) and coded welder?

My understanding so far is that someone who has not done an apprenticeship can be tested for a code and be certified for that code one the test piece has passed. Is that correct?

Do apprentices not come out with some certified codes are part of their fetac qualification?

If so is there a list available?

If not, whats the point of doing an 4 year apprenticeship?

Finally, are you suppose to get retested in each code every few years/months? Ive been reading on some US sites its every 6 months.

Head is melted. Cant seem to get any straight forward info within Ireland/UK context.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Damienmac

Hi

There is no specific 4 year welding apprenticeship in Ireland. Some of the apprenticeships have welding modules such as metal fabricator, plumbing, plant fitter. The welding codes are the closest thing to being qualified purely in welding. (In this country at least.)

So to answer the question : What's the point in doing a 4 year apprenticeship? To learn all the other skills, not just welding.

I don't know anything about re-tests I'm afraid. I've never heard of anyone having to renew them, that's not to say you don't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

My understanding is this: A welder is qualified to certain weld procedure specification. He carry's out a test coupon following the procedure and its criteria. If the coupon passes he is qualified for that procedure. That weld procedure covers a certain range of materials, thickness and positions and is developed under specific welding codes (EN,ASME ,etc). American have there codes, the europeans have their codes, the brits had codes , piping people have codes, structural people have codes, vessel people have codes...

The qualification last six months .If the welder is recorded as using this procedure in the last six months he doesn't need to requalify. If he hasn't used it in the last 6 months , it expires and he has to requalify if he wants to use that procedure.

The weld procedure come off a PQR ( performance qualification record) which is more detailed than the WSP, is subjected to more testing and I think cover a wider range of thickness and positions.

Basically you qualify the procedure you will follow, then you qualify the welder to the procedure.

Most welding doesn't need any qualification. it only when things are being subjected to high pressures or certain service. Lads welding gates and handrails etc won't be qualified but they will be trained to weld properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jceng

Thanks lads,
    Trying to give myself a crash course in EN1090-2 and the practicalities and requirements of it. Fun stuff!
    J

Advertisement