Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bye Bye Gay

Options
  • 16-06-2014 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭

So it seems that Uncle Gay is retiring (again!)
    The broadcaster has announced he’s decided to retire from his role with the authority this summer, ahead of his 80th birthday.

But for all you fans out there fear not, he'll still be doing his Lyric FM show apparently.. and no doubt he'll continue to pop up on RTE 1 as well.

Personally I don't know how a chat show host was ever qualified to be head of a Road Safety organisation, but then this is Ireland and he probably needed the money/attention so....

No loss though as far as I'm concerned. Maybe the next guy/girl will realise there's a lot more to Road Safety than banging on about how "Speed KIlls" at every opportunity.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

In his departure has criticised lack of garda enforsement.

The sod should have been exposed for the incompetent fool he is.

Hopefully the attitude will change within RSA towards safety rather than pushing fines and changing signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Good riddance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

A useless olde' fart ...unrelateable, untollerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

visual wrote: »
    In his departure has criticised lack of garda enforsement.

It's a shame he didn't have the balls to do that at the beginning of his regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

good riddance.
    Hopefully someone competent will get the role now, although I have my doubts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Whoever it is couldnt be worse than Byrne. That idiot has made driving in this country a serious chore. Claiming to reduced road deaths when the gob****e refused to realise it was because of the recession. Much less people on the road so obviously less f*cking deaths!:mad:

Country is getting a bit busier again so surprise surprise. Death count is rising with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Delighted to see him gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Ainne Murphy RIP, would be delighted to see these posts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Wish to fu*k he'd retire altogether. How much longer can he hang around on TV and radio? He should have been out of sight 15 years ago and let a younger person have a chance.

Greedy cu*t

good riddance.
    Hopefully someone competent will get the role now, although I have my doubts.

I believe a lot within RSA are political appointees. Gaybo probably the most high profile but there is many others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Good riddance to the annoying c*nt!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I believe a lot within RSA are political appointees. Gaybo probably the most high profile but there is many others.

Side note: It's amazing how many key roles are political appointees - Garda Commissioner/Gardai, DPP, Judges etc

"Democracy" indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

He's really a pontificating old git. The target market of his message were never going to pay heed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    So it seems that Uncle Gay is retiring (again!)
    I'll believe he's gone when they've stuffed his mouth full of garlic, driven a wooden stake through his heart, chopped off his head and burned his body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

popular ain't he!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Bye bye you patronizing ****

Don't worry, he'll piss away his life savings again soon and be back at RTE before you even notice he was gone.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Side note: It's amazing how many key roles are political appointees - Garda Commissioner/Gardai, DPP, Judges etc

"Democracy" indeed

state and semi state is awash with connected fools.

I remember hearing on the board of central bank was a novelist (no other qualifications) at the time of banking collapse.

Gaybo never sat a driving test and no experience of transport, roads or motor industry, beggers believe how he got into RSA at all.

Can only hope who ever replaces him has some clue what drivers need and what will make life saver without dreaming up fines more fines and blaming everything on speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CNTRLR

sure he was a great lad all the same, he has basically destroyed motorbikes for the majority of young people by making it prohibitively expensive to even get a licence, and he tried to do the same with cars and was almost as successful, it is now harder to not only get a licence but also harder to keep a car on the road because of this prick, i for one will dance a midnight tango when he leaves the RSA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Personally I think officialdom hasn't a clue when it comes to road safety.

The reduced road deaths we saw over a number of years - were down to new roads, safer cars and such stuff

Not down to the competence and brilliant planning of our authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Old diesel wrote: »

The reduced road deaths we saw over a number of years - were down to new roads, safer cars and such stuff

Phenomenal amount of back patting going on at the RSA when road deaths fell but stern warning for drivers any time they went up.

The truth as you've said is that the vast majority of the drop is due to new roads, new cars and less journeys due to the recession. This didn't stop the RSA and Gaybo from congratulating themselves on a job well done though.

I usually hate Mondays but this has brought a sense of vigour to my Monday morning. Delighted. Maybe he'll considering maybe passing the driving test now.

Old diesel wrote: »

fully agree and with no new roads planned Gaybo claim to safety success had run its course.

I really feel the driving standard suffered under Gaybo propaganda and the biggest cause of accidents driver error totally ignored.
    Instead all the easy hits like speeding and NCT where heavy fines and penalties but little to do with road deaths. Also made a mess of driving licence and playing with new road signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Phenomenal amount of back patting going on at the RSA when road deaths fell but stern warning for drivers any time they went up.

The truth as you've said is that the vast majority of the drop is due to new roads, new cars and less journeys due to the recession. This didn't stop the RSA and Gaybo from congratulating themselves on a job well done though.

I usually hate Mondays but this has brought a sense of vigour to my Monday morning. Delighted. Maybe he'll considering maybe passing the driving test now.

Yeah, and maybe our current health minister will take up jogging. Amazing who can get what positions.

CNTRLR wrote: »
    harder to keep a car on the road
    How is it harder to keep a car on the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

...... annual NCT for older cars maybe.
    Personally I think that a good thing, not sure if it was Gay's idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

was he paid for this role... thought it was just a voluntary position.

Yeah, and maybe our current health minister will take up jogging.
    Didn't Reilly run the DCM a number of years ago? I remember seeing a picture of him during it and he was purple. I thought he completed it somewhere past the four hour mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Gay would want to get his hands on his Harley Davidson sitting in Vicar Street before NAMA lay their hands on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

fully agree and with no new roads planned Gaybo claim to safety success had run its course.

I really feel the driving standard suffered under Gaybo propaganda and the biggest cause of accidents driver error totally ignored.
    Instead all the easy hits like speeding and NCT where heavy fines and penalties but little to do with road deaths. Also made a mess of driving licence and playing with new road signage.

See that's the thing - the stats showed an improvement - but to me that wasn't been reflected in the standard of driving on the roads.

People still been impatient on overtakes - apparently the need to arrive at a meeting at 9 am - or get little Gretta to dance class for 7 pm - justifies taking risks :rolleyes:

People still not paying full attention to the roads.

People still not giving a toss about their driving

Unfortunately it seems too many people think once you adhere to the speed limit - alls good

Think the traffic corps needs to be beefed up into a PROPER traffic dept - like the Uk guys.

At the moment - we hardly know if they are coming or going - with 1.6 Hyundai and Focus estates - it all gives the impression Garda Mgt/dept of Justice aren't taking things seriously.

A few unmarked Audis and the like is whats wanting - I love the idea of some muppet deciding he NEEDS to be in front of that Audi in front - going for a silly overtake - and then realising the Audi was actually a garda WHEN the garda turns on the blues and twos :D

That's the sort of thing you need to deal with muppet driving

Advertisement