Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing A Car From England

Options
  • 24-08-2011 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at importing a car from England and I heard that if you buy a car and keep it over there for 6 months and then bring it here you don't have to pay VRT is this true?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

it is true as long as you can provve you were living there and that the car was taxed and insured.you will need prove of living there such as day to day living expenses utility bills and rent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

..and proof you actually left the UK. I had show I had sold my house by bringing in a "final" utility bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

yeah they have got really strict and will ask for bank and salary details.not worth trying it unless you are genuine anymore cause the ask for so much info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

Ah balls thanks anyway, was going to leave it with family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Let them purchase it then when they bring the car over they will have all the proof. Then just transfer the names over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Let them purchase it then when they bring the car over they will have all the proof. Then just transfer the names over.

Sadly you can't
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/coming_to_live_in_ireland/importing_car_into_ireland.html
    NOTE: If you are moving to Ireland and are among those exempt from paying VRT you cannot sell your vehicle for more than 12 months after the vehicle is registered.

Advertisement