Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish car returning from abroad without motor-tax.

Options
  • 24-08-2011 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭

Assume a situation, that car was driven abroad in March 2011. Tax expired with last day of March, but it wasn't renewed, as it's not needed while being driven abroad.
    Now in beginning of September, owner wants to drive back and tax it from 1st September, declaring it was off public road between 1st April to 31st August.
    Unfortunately, such declaration can not be done online or by post, but owner has to be here in Ireland physically to do it.
    So what he has to do, is to drive a car back to Ireland, straight into Garda station to get a stamp and to motor tax office.
    What if he is stopped on the way between ferry and motortax office?
    Would garda impound a car most likely? Is there any ANPr system on port terminals, or something like that.

It's just very often on this forum if someone is going to buy untaxed car, people advice that he should be grand if garda stop him, as he can explain he just bought the car and will tax it as soon as possible.
    Here's is analogical situation.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd say it really comes down to luck. A friend of mine had a car impounded recently in similar circumstances - it had been off the road (and untaxed) for almost a year, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

just go straight to the gards station and declare it was off the road. He could obviously run into a check point at the docks. I would just get it taxed as soon as possible

IRIsh registered car should be taxed when abroad, can't declare it off the road I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

RoverJames wrote: »
    IRIsh registered car should be taxed when abroad, can't declare it off the road I would think.

I was going through this subject here once, and it seemed that there is no need for tax while car is used abroad.

I don't want to look through all SI's again, but it was something like "every vehicle used on public roads must be taxed".

While in other SI there was a definition of "public road" which was described as "road administrated by national road council" or something like that.
    I'm just writing from memory.

Anyway - conclusion was, that there is not any law in Ireland which would require Irish registered vehicle to be taxed while in traffic abroad.

As well, according to Road traffic Convention from Vienna from 1968, no country can require from any foreign registered vehicle anything other document than registration certificate and proof of roadworthiness test.

just go straight to the gards station and declare it was off the road. He could obviously run into a check point at the docks. I would just get it taxed as soon as possible

Are checkpoints at the docks frequent?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

CiniO wrote: »

More so in Dublin with the Customs/RSA etc etc. The car should be taxed while abroad anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

as frequent as anywhere else, customs more so for obvious reasons but they usually have a guard or 2 with them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Assume a situation, that car was driven abroad in March 2011. Tax expired with last day of March, but it wasn't renewed, as it's not needed while being driven abroad.

Irish regged cars have been clamped in Northern Ireland for having no tax.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63601138

http://www.derryjournal.com/news/local/rage_as_donegal_drivers_targeted_by_car_tax_clampers_1_2142615

DonJose wrote: »

In my opinion - unlawfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭guil

In my opinion - unlawfully.
    will every guard agree with your opinion

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    will every guard agree with your opinion

According to Law, he would have to eventually if case ended up in court.
    Problem here is, that no one wants to go to court abroad.

I'm not sure about NI police.
    But I'm sure about all police over Continent.
    I would bet serious money that there's no chance any police on the Continent would ever ask about Irish motor tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd think you should drive directly to a Garda station to get the form stamped and signed.

If you have your ferry tickets on you showing that you landed in the country in the last hour or two, then any reasonable Garda that stopped you would have to use their discretion and let you continue on.

Advertisement