Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLC with touch screen interface.

Options
  • 20-10-2014 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi All,

I'm building a small automation project, I need a PLC with ten outputs and 10 inputs, it is a very simple programme I need to build, I would use an Allen Bradley micro 810 but this only has four outputs and seven inputs, also I need a HMI that is compatible with the PLC that is touch screen. The project is to drive ten motors automatically at different times from the PLC and I just want to be able to turn the motors on and off at the HMI as well as hardwired switches on the panel and maybe added features like red light on HMI when motor trips or record running hours.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is for educational purposes it can be basic but must do the above.

Thanks, Galtech.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Would an Arduino do the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 galtech

Hi Dermighty,

Looks like I'll be using an allenbradley plc, I'm using logix 5000 software, any familiarity with this software??

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

Thats an expensive project,
    Have a look at IFM website they do small touch screen controllers with I/O onboard quite cheap. 10 I/O push it on these but you may be able to buy an expansion module.
    Programming software is free as far as I'm aware.

http://www.ifm.com/ifmus/web/news/pnews_8qsn2d.html

Similar to above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Does it have to be the 810? The 820 offers 20 I/O points.

For HMI, look at PanelView Component. Or - better value can be found on Automationdirect or Red Lion.

Re Logix5000 - I use it a lot. Ask away with questions.

Hi Dave2pvd,

This is a work project so I was under a bit of pressure to get it working on auto so I moved forward and used two micro 810s(left over from old jobs) since I put up this post last and it's working great. But I want to put this forward as a course project and to do that I would need a HMI/visual interface to communicate with the PLC. I at least want to be able to turn outputs on and off from the HMI but ideally it would be nice to record running hours of outputs and show if an output (motor) has tripped.
    I have parked the Compact Logix PLC for the moment (is this the same as studio 5000 software, you say Logix same thing?) as I had awful trouble trying to get the software, we had an old version on a laptop but it wasn't compatible now sales guys trying to sell me software for €2,200 and have absolutely no training/experience with it. I reckon this will go back unless manager finds another use.
    Does the 820 use the same software as 810 (connected components)?, I am quite familiar here but how hard/expensive would it be to connect HMI?
    This automation direct crowd, I have been on to one of their reps and they recommended a click PLC and weintek HMI, I like the look of these and software is free and guy seems to know what he's on about unlike the crowd that sold us the Compact Logix.
    Apologies for long winded mail, but what do you suggest I do?

Thanks, Galtech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

galtech wrote: »
    Hi Dave2pvd,

This is a work project so I was under a bit of pressure to get it working on auto so I moved forward and used two micro 810s(left over from old jobs) since I put up this post last and it's working great. But I want to put this forward as a course project and to do that I would need a HMI/visual interface to communicate with the PLC. I at least want to be able to turn outputs on and off from the HMI but ideally it would be nice to record running hours of outputs and show if an output (motor) has tripped.
    I have parked the Compact Logix PLC for the moment (is this the same as studio 5000 software, you say Logix same thing?) as I had awful trouble trying to get the software, we had an old version on a laptop but it wasn't compatible now sales guys trying to sell me software for €2,200 and have absolutely no training/experience with it. I reckon this will go back unless manager finds another use.
    Does the 820 use the same software as 810 (connected components)?, I am quite familiar here but how hard/expensive would it be to connect HMI?
    This automation direct crowd, I have been on to one of their reps and they recommended a click PLC and weintek HMI, I like the look of these and software is free and guy seems to know what he's on about unlike the crowd that sold us the Compact Logix.
    Apologies for long winded mail, but what do you suggest I do?

Thanks, Galtech.

galtech, while the 2 PLC approach sounds a bit unconventional, it seems like you've made it work for what is a relatively simple application. However, now you want to connect and HMI to both units. I think you may have run into a roadblock! The 810 is nothing but a smart relay. It's very limited in what it can do.

For a quick overview of what the 810 Series (810, 820, 830,..) can do, have a look here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3K_BigUXJ1MHsXuwkSGDkohhnsH3EPi1
    Also, do some research on A-B's site: http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Programmable-Controllers/Micro810 They're not short of info, as you'll see.

CompactLogix is fairly powerful. Too much processor for what you need, I'd say. This partially explains the cost of the software and support package. Incidentally, the Logix5000 (yes, Studio) has become pretty good software. In my opinion it is light years ahead of a certain German company's.

It sounds like you need the 820. It can handle your I/O count and connect to a PanelView Component HMI. Same software are the 810 (which is free, right?).

AutomationDirect is certainly an option too. However, it seems like you are already fairly well learned in A-B, so it might be best to stick with it.

What about safety? Are the motors large enough that they need to be shut down if a door is opened or an E-Stop pressed? This could up your I/O count.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Have you considered the Unitronics V560

http://www.unitronics.com/plc-hmi/plc-vision-enhanced/v560-

Thanks guys for your replys, will have to leave it run on two plcs for a while. Think I'm going with the click plc with weintech HMI.

Advertisement