Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CAR QUIRY!!

• 20-08-2011 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hey guys!!

Just looking for bit of help.. Looking to upgrade my car! Travelling about 300km every wkend so looking for
    *something reliable
    *comfortable
    *plenty of space
    *diesel :)
    Also thinking of keeping new car max 1.4- money wise on petrol/diesel.
    Budget 8,500!

Had few ideas but not too sure maybe ford focus/ seat leon/ opel astra! Open to other suggestions or even any tips much appreciated!!

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,512 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from Helpdesk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

SINÉAD D wrote: »
    Hey guys!!
    Budget 8,500!

Had few ideas but not too sure maybe ford focus/ seat leon/ opel astra! Open to other suggestions or even any tips much appreciated!!

Thanks

You might find it hard to get a diesel with a bit of room with a 1.4L engine.

Don't be put off by a 1.9 or 2.0 litre, they will be still very economical.

How about a diesel golf? My brother picked up a 04 MK5 for about half your budget about a month ago.

Focus, as you mentioned would also be a good choice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Mileage suggest petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Corolla has 1.4 diesel option since 2004
    Plenty high spec uk import hatchbacks around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I was about to post the same but looking at Donedeal the prices are on the high side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 SINÉAD D

I have an 05 peugeot 206 so looking towards (pushing it) for an 08 esp with tax now.. Corrola's are very nice but out of my range altogether!

If i went higher engine size wouldn't that cost more on fuel? Im spending 60-70 weekly on 1.1 cant afford too spend much more weekly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Monty.

Hey guys!!

Just looking for bit of help.. Looking to upgrade my car! Travelling about 300km every wkend so looking for
    *something reliable
    *comfortable
    *plenty of space
    *diesel :)
    Budget 8,500!

Thanks

Your mileage suggests a petrol motor would be better value for money

Hmm fitting in the requirement of 1.4 and comfortable and spacious is a bit tricky, they are more or less contradictory. Every car is a compromise.

Would you have many passengers / luggage to carry ?

Perhaps a nice 1.4-1.8 petrol mpv might be your best bet ?

Here's a nice one owner 2007 Ford C-Max 1.6 Zetec with 37,000 miles, they're asking €7,500

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/C-Max/1.6-ZETE/201128203300606/advert?channel=CARS

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

I normally have full car travelling up and down!! This yr could have few less.. It's just too small.. Thought maybe wit diesel being that bit cheaper might be better but ye would no lot more than me :) Not too fond on the look of that ford would prefere focus, but thanks!

Are seat leon/astra/focus any use? i like that kind of style!

I normally have full car travelling up and down!! This yr could have few less.. It's just too small.. Thought maybe wit diesel being that bit cheaper might be better but ye would no lot more than me :) Not too fond on the look of that ford would prefere focus, but thanks!

Are seat leon/astra/focus any use? i like that kind of style!

You'll pay thousands extra for a 08 diesel, they require a bit more maintenance, and are likely to have much more mileage on them. You have to weigh this cost against the cheaper road tax and few more miles per gallon. In my opinion, a 07 1.6 petrol focus would be the best value for money choice of the three you listed. Astra not bad either. Opinions can differ though, take a few for a drive and see what you think.

Would 1.4/ 1.6 be hard on petrol? Any other suggestions for upgrade i just picked those by the look of them dont no much about them to be honest! Thanks for advise so far

• Advertisement

Would 1.4/ 1.6 be hard on petrol? Any other suggestions for upgrade i just picked those by the look of them dont no much about them to be honest! Thanks for advise so far

The 1.4 Focus is best avoided, the engine is not well matched to the car and it will feel very sluggish. The 1.6 petrol will do just as good mileage wise, your talking about 38-40 mpg, and is a far better engine for that car. The secret to petrols is to drive them with a very light foot, especially taking off at junctions and lights etc., or they will drink the juice. Other options would be a Golf or Corolla, but again your talking a few thousand more at least for cars that are not any better. The Model is the important thing these days, rather than make, and the Focus is a very highly rated car, better driving and more spacious than the Golf or Corolla. I'm sure the other folks on here might be able to suggest something else. I really think you should check out the C-Max as well, comfy car, larger boot, your sitting a bit higher up, and your passengers will thank you for the extra room, but it's still not too big or awkward.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Had the 1.6 Focus for 9 years, put 126k miles on it and sold to the brother in law who has put on another 20k on top of that, replaced windows regulator and the discs and pads and thats about it.

Bought the 08 Focus C-Max 1.6 TDCI last october, lovely car and "enough" kick for it to be comfortable.
    Have driven the mothers 1.4 Corolla, just don't like it, awful plain inside, but reliable as a Kerry man against Mayo in Croker! :)

Thanks for that Yop!

Im a student and dont really like the look of the c-max i no thats not an important factor but one of them :) Still looking around and undecided but think focus might be best option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, you will pick up a Kia Ceed 1.4 litre petrol on your budget. Should still have the balance of the long Kia warranty and they are light on fuel too:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201127203201908

Same goes with the Hyundai i30:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201116202111132

Alot of car for your money.

Thanks 116 man love the audi but looking for 2007/2008 those prices well over budget!!
    Thanks bazz26 never even thought of either of those cars might look into the kia- dont no anything about them but with gaurantee cant go wrong if got an 2008 still have possible yr gaurantee still on it!

Appreciate all the help... decisions!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Kia comes with a 7 year warranty from new so a 08 will most likely have over 3 years left on it.

Oh yeah 7 years its sounds good! are they ok of a car never hear much about them?

Renault its a car i wouldn't normally go for, bit like fiat maybe better rep in recent years not that i know too much!

I was looking at VW passat be pushing it a bit on budget they come in 1.4!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

My father had a couple of meganes (Scenics) from 1998 - 2007, and found them fine. I reckon they look cool, and was going to get one, except we got a 1.2 clio in the end which is grand for city driving.

They are undoubtedly comfortable & economical. Size wise, they could be bigger inside, but maybe see what you think. There are plenty available on the market, so you're going to have a good choice, and can drive the price down accordingly.

Reliability wise they have a less than exemplar record:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/renault/megane-hatchback-2002.aspx

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/renault/mk_cit-md_64/

but then again the Volkwagen Passat doesn't either:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/passat-2001/

Your best bet would be to try one or two out, and just make sure all the electrical items work...

Also - a 1.4 passat? Could be a thirsty little yoke with such a small engine driving such a big car? What year are you looking at, as tax is done based on carbon dioxide emissions for 2008 onwards... enter the reg on: https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/menu.do?page=motortaxinforeg to get the rates

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help dardania muchh appreciated!!

Honestly i dont no wat type of car im looking for just keeping my options opened mainly a car with plenty of space, cheap road tax from 2008+ and most important reliabilty!!

Think il take the megane, kia,foocus and leon for test and see from there and hopefully pick myself up a bargain ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Test drive the Kia Ceed or the Pro Ceed if you can get your hands on one, guaranteed to fall in love with it :)

Advertisement