Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

04 Fiesta - Bonnet stuck

Options
  • 23-08-2011 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭

The missus was getting a light bulb changed yesterday by a well known car parts outlet yesterday (she had to do some night driving y'day and unfortunately I couldn't get away from work)

When the guy went to close the bonnet, he basically did it arseways and shoved the little black pulley thing (with the arrow on it) back in rather than letting it revert back in automatically itself.

Anyway, can't open the bonnet now. When I pull the lever inside the car, nothing happens.

2 questions -
    1) Is this something that I can fix myself? Or is it a costly mechanic visit?
    2) Is there any point going back to the shop & kicking up a fuss about yer man's total incompetence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Can you push down on the bonnet while someone pulls the latch? That will probably free it depending on what way he did it. Is it fully closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Bring it back and get the fella who changed the bulb to sort it, im sure there is not much to it so he will probably have it sorted in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Plug wrote: »
    Can you push down on the bonnet while someone pulls the latch? That will probably free it depending on what way he did it. Is it fully closed?

Yep...it's fully closed alright.

Will try your suggestion later on...cheers

Yeah sometimes get can get a bit stuck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

The cable has come off the handle?

Have a look maybe when he pushed it the "nipple" slipped out the holder.. like on a push bike.

Happens to the throttle cable on my strimmer all the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

I spent 3 hours last weekend opening my brothers 98 fiesta's bonnet open. The mechanism had completly siezed, and the only way I got it open was by breaking the grill to get access to the latch. I then used loads of WD40 and a large screwdriver to level it open.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Plug wrote: »

Tried this last night and it worked sweet as a nut.

Thanks a mill for
    a) stopping me making a complete tool of myself in the well known retail outlet and
    b) stopping me making a complete tool of myself at a garage

No problem. Try spray a bit of grease or WD40 into the latch. Maybe it will free it up a bit.

Advertisement