Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Steering wheel still shaking after balancing?

Options
  • 16-04-2007 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

I recently had 4 new tyres fitted and balanced on my wifes car but there is still a shake on the steering wheel when driving at approx 75-80 mph.I got it checked again to make sure it was balanced correctly but they were 100%.Any ideas what maybe causing this?The car is a Peugeot 307 HDI 2002 with 100k miles on the clock and I live in meath where the potholes are terrible.Somebody suggested to me that it maybe a worn track rod end?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds like a correct guess. They can get put out of shape hitting a pothole.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

tierodrouge.jpgsteerin%20track%20rod%20end1.jpg

These things^ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yep - sounds like something is worn if the balance is 100% correct. Could also be a ball joint - the one at the bottom of Hal1's picture. But the track rod end is probably a more likely culprit. A worn ball joint tends to make fierce knock over bumps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

what was it like before you got the tyres fitted?

I got 4 new tyres fitted a few yrs ago, no wobble before on older tyres, drove out with new tyres and wobble at 75-80mph

Brought it back and they swore it was correct, but I got them to check again saying it was fine before the new tyres went on.

They checked them all and said one of them was only a fraction out but shouldn't cause the problem I was seeing, but made the adjustment anyway.

Needless to say the wobble disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I've had it with too-soft tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

Lex Luthor wrote:
    what was it like before you got the tyres fitted?

I got 4 new tyres fitted a few yrs ago, no wobble before on older tyres, drove out with new tyres and wobble at 75-80mph

Brought it back and they swore it was correct, but I got them to check again saying it was fine before the new tyres went on.

They checked them all and said one of them was only a fraction out but shouldn't cause the problem I was seeing, but made the adjustment anyway.

Needless to say the wobble disappeared.

Ya it was the same before I got the new tyres so it's more than likely the track rod end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

Before I bring the car my mechanic to check the suspension (Track Rod end) etc, just wondering if the back wheels should be balanced also?they never were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

In the old days they would tell you that you're fine not getting the rear wheels balanced. But you really should, I had a rear wheel out of balance & it caused a strong vibration through the whole car. No shaking steering wheel mind.
    If you neglect to get the rear wheels balanced an out of sorts wheel could cause premature wear on your suspension components like bushings/rubbers etc. Think about it, an out of balance wheel will be constantly pulling in and out working all those components lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

As simple test would be to switch the two front wheels to the rear and put the two rear wheels on the front and test drive the car at the speed range that the problem occurs at.

If the problem disappears, there is obviously a problem with one of the tyres which was originally on the front which is now on the back. Obviously because the dodgy wheel is now not connected to the steering, you won't feel the vibration at the steering wheel. If you had a problem with a ball joint or a track rod end, you would have had this problem before you had the tyres changed, which you have said isn't the case.

If the wheels involved are alloys or a low profile tyre is involved, when switching the wheels, check the inside wall of the wheel for structure damage.

If the wheel itself is damaged (this usually happens on the inside wall with alloys), no amount of balancing will get rid of a vibration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Moanin wrote:
    Before I bring the car my mechanic to check the suspension (Track Rod end) etc, just wondering if the back wheels should be balanced also?they never were.

Sorry, before you take the advice above, get the rear wheels balanced!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rrv8

Check the brake discs for wear as they can through the balance out at high speed.
    Also check to mke sure the hub and inside face of the rim is clean before fitting the wheels again this can through the ballance off , but in your case you say the balance was out before .

Advertisement