Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Revving while stationary, rev counter moving.

Options
  • 08-01-2014 9:22pm
    Site Banned Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hi,

There has been a recent occurrence with my car that I'd appreciate your help/advice with. In the past few days when I'm stopped in traffic, at lights, even with the car in neutral and with my foot off the clutch, I've noticed that the rev counter is moving from about 700rpm to over 1000rpm. It will sometimes shoot up to approx 1800rpm before going back down to 700rpm. The car is fine when moving. As I said, it happens even with the car in neutral and foot off the clutch.

The car is a BMW 3-Series Petrol. Oil and coolant levels are fine and there are no warning lights. Has been an absolute pleasure to own and drive, so I'm peeved that it has started happening two weeks before my NCT!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

Vacuum leak would be my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

Wash out the throttle body.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

3-series? Like an e36, e46 etc? What year?
    Anyway, it's not uncommon.

Check hoses, I'd start with the one from the airbox to throttle body. Remove and inspect (you can check for deposits in the throttle body then too, it should be shiny and clean inside).
    Hoses gets tears and this can cause issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

air leak between airbox and throttle body would be first check

• Registered Users Posts: 9,429 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What's normal idling speed? Dirty idle air control valve?

• Advertisement
Advertisement