Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pro tec egr cleaner

• 08-01-2014 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hi there, I have an opel combo 1.3 cdti, running a bit sluggish lately, turns out its the egr valve. I was to told to get pro tec egr cleaner and spray it in the air intake and that, that would do a right job on it! Only thing is I'm a bit confused as to were the air intake is on the engine! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Does it say to use the product when EGR is still in car? Or to remove EGR and then spray?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭JR23

biko wrote: »
    Does it say to use the product when EGR is still in car? Or to remove EGR and then spray?

zoom

MADE IN GERMANY
    Safety data sheet
    PROPERTIES
    Cleans the entire air intake system of diesel engines. This unique product is vaporised and flows through the air intake system, cleaning inlet tracts, valves and combustion chambers, resulting in smoother engine running, improved fuel economy and reduced exhaust emissions.
    APPLICATION FIELDS
    Suitable for all diesel powered engines. Recommended for engines
    with turbo, catalytic converter or particle filter.
    APPLICATION
    Spray into the air intake system whilst the engine is warm and running.
    PACKAGING UNITS
    400ml – Part No. P1911

biko wrote: »

The chap in the shop said the egr stays in place and you just spray it in the air intake. Is there an air intake near the egr valve or is it the one just off the air filter!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

hi JR23 just detach air intake pipe from a section behind mafs..be careful with the amount you use as it will cause the engine to rev extremely high. I just performed the procedure on my 1.9tdi and i thought the engine was gonna blow. Its serious stuff ;)

Thanks polo, will have a go after work, do you think it worked or is just a snake oil!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

JR23 wrote: »
    Thanks polo, will have a go after work, do you think it worked or is just a snake oil!

Today on "My Two Cents": It sounds like a pretty potent solvent from the way the engine is burning it, similar to brews like Redex or BG244K. So I'd suppose it'll clean as well as can be without actually dismantling. As we've seen, be careful spraying anything like that into a diesel - because they don't have an air throttle it'll burn it away like you had the boot down, so use short, controlled squirts.

Thanks jimgoose, seems like dismantling it is a pig of a job, so this is a cheaper alternative, a dealer wanted 100 euro to take it off and clean it and he said that it might solve the problem, he was supposed to ring me back for a price on a new one but never bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

My honest opinion is if the car is reasonably fresh then it will do the job but if the car is a high miler its a waste of money. The egr really has to physcially come out and be cleaned. Youd be amazed at the crud that builds up over a short time and if you saw a dirty egr valve youd realise how useless a spray would be. It would never clean it 100% not even near it. I thought my egr was the problem thats why i used it but unfortunately it turned out to be a turbo problem :( In saying all that i really hope it works for you :)

Hopefully it does the job polo! It's definately the egr,I got the fault code 0400 Only 100,000 km on her so its not too bad, 1.3 opel combo. I'm doing the job on it tomorrow so ill let you know how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

JR23 wrote: »
    Thanks jimgoose, seems like dismantling it is a pig of a job, so this is a cheaper alternative, a dealer wanted 100 euro to take it off and clean it and he said that it might solve the problem, he was supposed to ring me back for a price on a new one but never bothered.

€100 for that job is very very cheap. It is a total and complete pig of a job to the extent that using every expletive in the English vocabulary still wouldn't cover how bad it is. Inlet Manifold off, cooling system drained. Egr valve out. Disconnect a plethora of small bolts and a few pipes from underneath and drop the whole EGR cooler assembly out from below. All done whilst working in the crampest, tightest confines imaginable. To be honest, if that Pro Tec works then it is nothing short of a "get out of jail free" card! :D Let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement