Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New brake pads squealing

• 02-01-2014 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Needed new brake pads at last service. They are making a squealing noise when I brake.
    Is this a problem that will settle down or do I need to get them looked at?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

When did you get the new pads exactly?
    New pads can make noise and even smoke a bit before they settle. Or the mech might not have used enough copper grease to stop vibrations.
    I suggest you bed the brakes today and if you still have issue tomorrow, take it back and let them have a look.

Bedding brakes is easiest done on a long country road with no other traffic and no sharp bends.

First you use the brakes normally to get them up to operating temp.
    Then speed up to 100 and step on the brakes firmly to reduce speed to 20, then accelerate back up to 100 and brake firmly down to 20.
    Repeat 8 times but make sure car is always moving, do not come to a full stop.

1. Brakes will get seriously hot from this so after the last firm brake you need to drive around to let them cool. Avoid puddles that might shock the hot metal.
    2. At no point during the whole exercise should you come to a full stop until brakes are cool again.
    3. Before each brake, look in all mirrors to make sure no-one is behind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I would say that no copper grease was used when fitting. If it was, I don't think you'd have any squeal even without the "bedding in" mentioned by Biko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭blackbox

Instructions on brake pads usually say to only brake gently for first 100 km (or was it 100 miles?)

Not sure that this is entirely compatible with Biko's recommendation.

I'd agree that some copper grease in the right place will probably fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

blackbox wrote: »
    Instructions on brake pads usually say to only brake gently for first 100 km (or was it 100 miles?)

Not sure that this is entirely compatible with Biko's recommendation.

I'd agree that some copper grease in the right place will probably fix it.

Must say I agree, Bikos recommendation is somewhat off the mark for your average brake pad

Advertisement