Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf Mk3 1.4 - Starting problem

Options
  • 03-06-2012 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭

I recently got a MK3 Golf 1.4 with an APQ engine.

About 50% of the time it starts and runs fine
    About 50% of the time it starts fine but immediately cuts out.
    It can take a couple of retrys to start it, but it does eventually start up.

I'm going to have a poke around the ignition system and see if anything obvious is amiss.

I bought it with a full service history (although not very comprehensive) so I'll pull the plugs out first and see what state they are in.

Just wondering if anyone ever had similar problems, or aware of any common MK3 problems and can suggest where to begin my search?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AuntieCap

Hi there,
    Did you resolve the issue?
    Regards
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I replaced the Coil, rotor and distributor cap but it was the engine coolant temperature sensor that was at fault.
    Cheap and easy fix in the end.

I also cleaned all the engine electrics and sprayed on Holts damp start.
    So far so good.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 10 elizaharry

Check the crank position sensor, power at the coil, and ecu connections. If spark and fuel ok, then check for slipped timing belt, with camshaft and try unplugging the battery for awhile.

Advertisement