Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disused infrastrure

Options
  • 13-03-2014 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭

I had a rare train trip today; interesting to spot some of the now disused infrastructure.

Where does the spur just south of Athy, that swings off to the right as you're travelling south go?

Also, Heuston, platform 10. What's that for? How do you get to it and is it ever used?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I had a rare train trip today; interesting to spot some of the now disused infrastructure.

Where does the spur just south of Athy, that swings off to the right as you're travelling south go?

Also, Heuston, platform 10. What's that for? How do you get to it and is it ever used?

The spur at Athy is the remnants of the line that served the Wolfhill Colliery and latterly the Tegral factory.

Platform 10 is never used these days. It can be accessed by heading in past the car park and alongside the old Guinness sidings. I think it's generally locked up these days so probably not worth a trip up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

That Athy Branch was mad busy with goods trains when I was a kid. When was the last movement?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Platform 10 was in use during the upgrading of Heuston yard. See if you can spot platform 10 and a half :).

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    That Athy Branch was mad busy with goods trains when I was a kid. When was the last movement?
    It last saw cement traffic in 2005, the exact date unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

Cement to Athy finished this week 2005.
    I got a shot of 189 & 187 by chance on the last week of service on 18-March-2005.

http://www.metrovick.com/Pages/GMs/gm_pages/189_01.html
    Eiretrains wrote: »
    It last saw cement traffic in 2005, the exact date unknown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Sorry for going slightly off-topic. In pre-DART days there was s small overgrown spur just south of Lansdowne Rd on the northbound line. Anyone know what it was used for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Sorry for going slightly off-topic. In pre-DART days there was s small overgrown spur just south of Lansdowne Rd on the northbound line. Anyone know what it was used for?

Sounds like the remains of the branch line that ran into the RDS

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

Sounds like the remains of the branch line that ran into the RDS

That's right, there's an interesting thread about it here :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056439701

Advertisement