Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband provision to primary schools in Ireland

Options
  • 19-09-2014 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

big question here...

anyone got any estimates on how much it would cost to provide a minimum of 10Mb uncontended Ethernet to every Primary School in the State ?

there are approx 3165 Primary Schools

thanks

[sorry for so many questions recently, i'm all take, take, take
    but stick with me, the information is going to good use]

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

anyone got any estimates on how much it would cost to provide a minimum of 10Mb uncontended Ethernet to every Primary School in the State ?

There's no reasonable way to estimate that. For starters, a huge percentage of those schools are rural, many of them very rural, and delivering Ethernet services isn't currently practical. Even where schools are near fibre, the cost of a metro Ethernet service is highly variable depending on location.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 wicklow_hills

i'm with you there, and perhaps it's a waste of time as it's unlikely to happen in rural schools anyhow, until rural TDs start to realise the implications

but lets take our hypothetical dataset, we're using the 102 primary schools in Wicklow

if we maps these schools to the nearest node, we could come up with a rough cost ?

i'd have thought (perhaps wrongly) we'd be able to come up with a model to cost the more urban locations (Bray, Wicklow town, Arklow, etc) and from that have a stab at a figure for the most rural, and put the other 50% somewhere in the middle

we could sense check the numbers against the post-primary roll out, and maybe the planned Garda station rollout?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Are all the secondary schools genuinely done yet, without Satellite or Mobile?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

watty wrote: »
    Are all the secondary schools genuinely done yet, without Satellite or Mobile?

As far as I know, yes. I've seen several secondary schools around Mayo with licensed point-to-point antennas on them. Satellite and mobile weren't considered as the contract was for for 100M uncontended to each school.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 wicklow_hills

my understanding is that all post primary are done, approx 50% are point to point

• Advertisement
Advertisement