Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books

Options
  • 26-09-2010 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

What are your favourite "How to" fishing books, and what style of fishing do they describe?

Which books would you say are a "must read" for the beginner angler?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Last years thread Favourite Fishing Books has a big selection of recommendations from forumites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

coolwings wrote: »
    Last years thread Favourite Fishing Books has a big selection of recommendations from forumites.
    Thanks Coolwings, didnt see that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

RYCN
    there is a book I read recently called The heroic life of the Atlantic Salmon I think the authors name is Peter Shelton.
    while its not about fishing techniques its a fantastic read if your interested in salmon fishing I highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

for anyone thinking of taking up fly fishing for trout, there is a great book out there called the Complete Fly fishers Handbook. well worth a look.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Fly-Fishers-Handbook-Malcolm-Greenhalgh/dp/0751304999

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

for anyone thinking of taking up fly fishing for trout, there is a great book out there called the Complete Fly fishers Handbook. well worth a look.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Fly-Fishers-Handbook-Malcolm-Greenhalgh/dp/0751304999

That looks interesting. Is it a general introduction to fly fishing? The title suggests a general introduction but the description on that link suggests that it's focused on fly life/entomology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Got this last week and plan to have a read over the weekend.

41KK1UjNC6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

aidanf wrote: »
    That looks interesting. Is it a general introduction to fly fishing? The title suggests a general introduction but the description on that link suggests that it's focused on fly life/entomology.

I would not describe it as a general introduction, or a 'how to fly fish book'. its written for anglers who have gone past "the learning to cast phase" its quite detailed in terms of fish food and yes there is a lot about entomology in it...but sure isn't that what fly fishing is about.........there are sections on fly tying and materials too.

Got this last week and plan to have a read over the weekend.

41KK1UjNC6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

thats a good book too........

Advertisement