Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

johnson engines

Options
  • 28-09-2010 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

does anyone know if johnson outboard engines are still being manufactured? are they still available?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

AFAIK yes, I have a fairly new one myself, only 4 years old but never used til I bought it 2 years ago. May be badged as Evinrude now since I think they are the same company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Zzippy wrote: »
    AFAIK yes, I have a fairly new one myself, only 4 years old but never used til I bought it 2 years ago. May be badged as Evinrude now since I think they are the same company.

thanks i have a johnson myself and was thinking of trading it in for next year its about 10 years old and never gave a second of trouble (mind you i get it serviced every year) they were great engines....Evinrude made by the same people....i did not know that, are they as good as the johnson?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

They discontinued their existing 2-strokes completely, and then ditched their 4-stroke development program completely to follow their ETEC lower emission 2-stroke technology instead.
    That ETEC fuel injection is amazing, beats 4-stroke for fuel consumption, less emissions than 4-str, and they are "normal" 2-stroke weights to lift and carry.
    Each year the new ETEC engines become available in the next 2 smaller sizes, this year it was 15-10HP. But this caused a situation where Johnson/Evinrude/Bombardier made no engines at all below 60HP for a year, then none below 40HP for one year, the following year none below 25HP.

In the meantime used Johnsons are as scarce as hens teeth.

coolwings wrote: »
    They discontinued their existing 2-strokes completely, and then ditched their 4-stroke development program completely to follow their ETEC lower emission 2-stroke technology instead.
    That ETEC fuel injection is amazing, beats 4-stroke for fuel consumption, less emissions than 4-str, and they are "normal" 2-stroke weights to lift and carry.
    Each year the new ETEC engines become available in the next 2 smaller sizes, this year it was 15-10HP. But this caused a situation where Johnson/Evinrude/Bombardier made no engines at all below 60HP for a year, then none below 40HP for one year, the following year none below 25HP.

thanks very much for that..... i knew they stopped the two stroke alright. (Mine is a 2 stroke and over the years i have had a good few of them and i cant praise johnsons enough) The ETEC thing sounds very interesting...from your post it seems that the production is a bit erratic (i might be reading you wrong there) do you know if they are currently making any more 10hp ones? or are they concentrating on larger HPs?

the weight thing is an issue some four strokes are way too heavy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

coolwings wrote: »

Great info, sounds interesting too re the new technology. Johnson 2 strokes have a great rep alright, I was lucky enough to get one of the last 2-str 9.9hp models and its an absolute pleasure to use. Get it serviced regularly.
    Couple of years time I hope to get a sea boat and will be looking at those new ETEC engines then :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

I couldn't help but post this, I've stooped to a new low :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxVH5sKUlPg

I couldn't help but post this, I've stooped to a new low :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxVH5sKUlPg

now david thats very very bold............that ad must be the guts of 40 years old....i am glad i didn't see it or i would have never bought one...........:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Hehehehehe
    My fav part, "You your kids and your Johnson"...
    I'm ashamed.

I found yet another ad from Johnson. This crap isn't even worthy of "after hours". I swear this is the last one, then I'll leave you alone to talk about your big o'l Johnsons. ;):D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boWCgJq_Jb0&feature=related

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

David ... tut tut I'm surprised at you!!! ... and also wondering how I never came across those ads before! ;)

The ETEC thing sounds very interesting...from your post it seems that the production is a bit erratic (i might be reading you wrong there) do you know if they are currently making any more 10hp ones? or are they concentrating on larger HPs?

the weight thing is an issue some four strokes are way too heavy.

Well they are all Evinrudes now. They split it into Johnson for the 4-strokes and Evinruide for the ETEC 2-strokes. Then within 2 years they discontinued the 4-strokes completely. (Still making parts) But that was the end of new Johnson engines, unless they rebadge the ETECs, not difficult since it was always so before.
    So it was not really erratic production, but stopped production, a change of ownership of Johnson and Evinrude to BRP, a radical change of technological direction to "clean" technology, and a whole new range beginning with the biggest, and cascading down.
    Each year the ETECs rollout in smaller sizes, and the 25-35s are available, a 300HP ETEC was just shown at Southampton Boat Show last week. I would expect the 10-15HP will be the next lower sizes to appear - but not this year it seems.

The 4-strokes rule the roost at the moment, but if you look at the big end, where ETEC is mixing it with 4-strokes the advantages show up most. Where weight counts ETEC runs away with it completely.
    In the small angling engine market, weight was always a big decision maker. Anglers have to carry it to and from the boat, and occasionally lift over a fence or gate in the process. It's a pity there are no 4-10HP ETECs out yet.

• Advertisement

thanks for that info :)

Advertisement