Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E55 AMG 2.0 on logbook??

Options
  • 04-10-2013 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/03-e55-amg/5722430

Mywheels reports

Registration 03G9466
    Make Mercedes-Benz
    Model E55 AMG 476 BHP A
    Colour SILVER
    Fuel Type PETROL
    Engine Size 5.4L

Is it a fake logbook? Assuming it's legit, how can anyone declare an AMG as 2.0, are the engineers inspecting it not looking at the engine??

I guess I'm wondering who got duped / committed an illegality in the process of changing an AMG to 2.0...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

I don't get how this stuff comes to be.

Like cmon

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Def taxed as 2.0 on motortax.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Def taxed as 2.0 on motortax.ie

Wouldn't a motor engineer or a main dealer have to certify that this had an engine swap carried out. Wouldn't they also have to provide new engine number too. That s what I always believed was required.
    Anyway, for me that would make the car a non runner and I'm sure there are many people like me who wouldn't touch a car with this messing going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Seller is saying they may swap for a 7 seater as that is why they are selling the Merc yet they have 3 other cars for sale also including one where he will swap an A6 for an Integra:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/find/all/for-sale/Ireland/?uid=357434

Sounds like a right chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I don't get how this stuff comes to be.

Like cmon

Super easily and discussed before!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Its completely illegitimate but he still wants legit money for it. On yer bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Might be a member, since the ad is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

What if the engine is changed to a 2.0, inspected and the logbook changed, then the big engine gets put back in? If someone buys it and insures it as real AMG, they can plead ignorance wrt the tax brackets, and I don't think the buyer can be prosecuted for it... Can they?

Or is it a simpler matter of a dodgy inspector, but this would be easily traced back to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Eireann81

I'd say it was imported from the UK and declared as a 2.0 rather than an E55. It was probably done in the days before the NCT had to inspect the car. This would have substantially reduced the VRT bill too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

It was originally registered correctly, probably has the tax book from a wrecked silver 03C class going with it.

mercamg_zpseedc3343.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

original ad:

ziTH4y7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Eireann81 wrote: »
    I'd say it was imported from the UK and declared as a 2.0 rather than an E55. It was probably done in the days before the NCT had to inspect the car. This would have substantially reduced the VRT bill too.

You think Betty in the VRT office can visually tell her V8's from say.. a wheel barrow? Ncts dont even open the bonnet if the VIN is visible on windscreen. Its not their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

Who gives a ****.

I'd do the same for tax purposes only, not insurance. Over 600 euro on a 1.8 is still more than it costs to tax an SL65 AMG in the UK for example.

Its registered as an AMG, revenue aren't stupid. It must've been changed afterwards.
    If it had a log book from a 2.0 it'd be registered as a regular e class.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Its registered as an AMG, revenue aren't stupid. It must've been changed afterwards.

Sure was but when it turns up for nct, does this discrepancy not lead to a showstopper?

mickdw wrote: »
    Sure was but when it turns up for nct, does this discrepancy not lead to a showstopper?

You'd imagine it would in a world where the right hand knows what the left hand is doing.
    Either cars will meet the idle emissions standards.
    NCT should be able to flag cars like this, but it isn't part of their remit AFAIK

Anyway, the car will be on their system as an AMG so unless they're looking for discrepancies between the tax disc and what engine they believe to be fitted then they'd never know.

Checking engine number vs the log book should be part of the test IMO but it isn't always easy to see the engine number.

It'd be a right pain if you'd fail an nct because they can't find the engine number (some renault Scenics or espaces or something have failed because tester couldn't find a chassis number on the frame)

When you think about it, from a stolen parts POV, the engine number should be checked.
    Again, Dunno how practical that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Was there even a 2.0 litre E Class of that vintage? The E200 was a supercharged 1.8 litre, next size up was the E240 which was a 2.6. Smallest diesel was 2.2l. Plot thickens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Waiting for that freaky logbook reporting guy to join thread.... He'll be here soon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

BMJD wrote: »
    Was there even a 2.0 litre E Class of that vintage? The E200 was a supercharged 1.8 litre, next size up was the E240 which was a 2.6. Smallest diesel was 2.2l. Plot thickens.

I think there was an n/a 2.0 version as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I take it this is illegal then yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

MadYaker wrote: »
    I take it this is illegal then yeah?

Of course it is. Tax evasion and pretty obvious at that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

What's this screen from?
    hi5 wrote: »
    mercamg_zpseedc3343.png

Advertisement