Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2007+ S80 2.5T vs 2005+ E60 523/525+

• 15-10-2012 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭

Looking for E60 BMW 5 series, 525s mainly but they are thin on the ground. Most petrols are 523 and the same tax as the more powerful 525s.

From looking at carzone I see a few 2.5T S80 which, while not as pretty as an MSport, seem to have plenty of options specced. Do they have the ST engine, 5 cyl turbo? It must be detuned to 200 bhp so presumably it can be easily remapped to 250+.

Currently for the same year, a dealer S80 is a bit cheaper than a private 525.

Am I a bad person for considering the S80? :o

which would you go for? 17 votes

2007+ Volvo S80 2.5T
    0% 0 votes
    2005+ BMW E60 523/525
    100% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

unexpected result so far, 2-0 for the Volvo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

rocky wrote: »
    Looking for E60 BMW 5 series, 525s mainly but they are thin on the ground. Most petrols are 523 and the same tax as the more powerful 525s.

From looking at carzone I see a few 2.5T S80 which, while not as pretty as an MSport, seem to have plenty of options specced. Do they have the ST engine, 5 cyl turbo? It must be detuned to 200 bhp so presumably it can be easily remapped to 250+.

Currently for the same year, a dealer S80 is a bit cheaper than a private 525.

Am I a bad person for considering the S80? :o

The S80 is very comfortable, but it's not quick. I haven't driven a manual model (if it ever came as manual with that engine) but the auto is surprisingly slow for a 200bhp 5 cylinder turbo. It's not helped by an old skool 4 speed auto box, and it's very heavy on fuel.

Not a car to be "pushed on" like a 5 series, more a car to "waft" along in.

It will also continue to depreciate like a stone covered in lead. Engine is just over 2,500cc so it's taxed as a 2.6.

I thought it had a 6 speed auto, 8.0 seconds to 100 km/h, while not fast, it's not too slow either. The 523 is 9.3 to 100, the 2005-2007 525 is 7.9.

And the Volvo can be remapped (right?)

It's a bummer about the tax, would the urban fuel consumption be less than 20 mpg?

Maybe the S80 should be the car I replace the 525 with ... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Why not buy the 530i (or d)? I dont get the point of the 525i here.

The two cars suggested arent even peers either:

- wafty, FWD with forced induction 5pot
    - sporty (presume MSport setup), RWD with naturally aspirated 6pot.

If you end up in a BMW of this era, ditch the Runflats and spend the money on some High Performance Summer tyres instead. Huge increase in ride quality, grip etc.

Hi Matt, yes I'm looking at 530is too, there just aren't enough (any?) examples I like for the price I'm prepared to pay. There is one private asking 14500, when I mentioned you could get an MSport from dealers for 6k+ less, he stopped communicating. Nice car and all, would I pay double for the privilege?

Why consider the S80? Initially I wasn't but money rules and if I can get an S80
    for 3k cheaper than the 525/530 (again, which are very rare seems to me, and the 523 would be a compromise in my view)..

• Advertisement

Hi Matt, yes I'm looking at 530is too, there just aren't enough (any?) examples I like for the price I'm prepared to pay. There is one private asking 14500, when I mentioned you could get an MSport from dealers for 6k+ less, he stopped communicating. Nice car and all, would I pay double for the privilege?

Why consider the S80? Initially I wasn't but money rules and if I can get an S80
    for 3k cheaper than the 525/530 (again, which are very rare seems to me, and the 523 would be a compromise in my view)..

Then again, on the sliding scale of man maths, if you are even considering upper tax brackets, just do it all the way (tax band stops at 3.0):
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/545-I-E6/6213356044711340/advert?channel=CARS

There have been a couple of 540/545i E60s around, none advertised more than 9k, that one 6k ish. Remove the fake M5 tat, and its a pretty awesome motor. Put some of the 4k you save on asking into a full servicing and new tyres (or spare smaller winter tyre set) and you are laughing.

I would even argue the M62 V8 is a more reliable engine than the Volvo or high revving NA 6pot.
    MPG would be within 10% of the 6pot and possibly better than the Volvo's boosted 5pot.

And it sounds like a V8.

PS: Edit your poll to allow a neither or V8 option. :D

Sure, why not add 10k and get the real deal :)

can't edit the poll...

with the 4.3l engine I'm a bit concerned with insurance costs and thief appeal, especially with the fake kit. I'm not excluding it from the start, but it needs to be something really special...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Drive both, you will either love the Volvo or not

Why so black and white?
    Sure, why not add 10k and get the real deal :)

can't edit the poll...

with the 4.3l engine I'm a bit concerned with insurance costs and thief appeal, especially with the fake kit. I'm not excluding it from the start, but it needs to be something really special...
    Well the ownership costs between an E60 M5 (5.0 V10) and 545 (4.4 V8) are pretty big (MPG, parts etc). Remember the M5 is the M version, the 545i (as much as I promote it) is the car yanks drive about in, its meant to be "normal" and everyday friendly. In Ireland its pretty special however.

What age are you? I never find much difference on Insurance based on engine size in the last 5years (from 2.4 Turbo diesel to 5.6V12 to 4.2 V8). Thats more of a <25year old owner problem.

Theft isnt a (specific) problem as
    a) Remove the M5 badges (Id leave the rest)
    b) Its not an M5, 4 seconds on Cartell / Motorcheck with the reg plate tells them that
    c) Regarding theft for resale, its worth less than the other options which surely means a 2007 525i / S80 is a greater theft risk?

35, 3 years NCB and can get insurance for ~600 fully comp on the 530

Would you leave the quad pipes in place? Don't think I could live with them... Presumably the MSport kit is not original?

• Advertisement

I don't think it's as clear cut, I can see advantages and disadvantages in a car like the S80. I'm not against a couch on wheels, as I'm not against a harder suspension MSport.

I drove an 2006 220cdi Eclass for a week in Germany and can't say I haven't enjoyed it...

35, 3 years NCB and can get insurance for ~600 fully comp on the 530

Would you leave the quad pipes in place? Don't think I could live with them... Presumably the MSport kit is not original?

Aside from the side grilles, badges and pipes, an MSport and M5 look the same anyhow. Id leave the quad pipes, BMW M didnt invent them or have a patent on 4 pipes. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I thought it had a 6 speed auto, 8.0 seconds to 100 km/h, while not fast, it's not too slow either. The 523 is 9.3 to 100, the 2005-2007 525 is 7.9.

And the Volvo can be remapped (right?)

It's a bummer about the tax, would the urban fuel consumption be less than 20 mpg?

Maybe the S80 should be the car I replace the 525 with ... :)

It's been a while since I drove one, but I delivered one of the first F10 520d's down to Wexford and brought back a 2007 2.5T S80 Auto. Fairly sure the S80 was only a 4 speed Auto (but I might be wrong) and it certainly didn't feel like an 8 second car to 60. Wasn't even too impressive for mid range acceleration where a large (ish) displacement, Turbo should come in to it's own.

As for fuel, our boss ended up driving the S80 and just to get out of the office on the last day before Christmas, I went and filled it up for him. Can't remember the tank size, but I do remember that it was showing 440km to empty on the on board computer :eek:

70l tank I think -> 16l/100 km. Meh, only double what I get in the swift :)

Axa wants a call for the 545, but they'll insure me fully comp on a 530 for 535 euro a year. Not bad.

Axa wants a call for the 545, but they'll insure me fully comp on a 530 for 535 euro a year. Not bad.

And a 535d has twin turbos so a 545 is a walk in the park.. :pac:
    Saying that, if your budget stretches to a 535d definitely consider them. Diesel though, I know which Id choose!

no, the 535 euro is the quote, it just so happens it's for an 530i.. .maybe it's a sign and I should get a 535(d) insured for 545 euro? :confused:

No I wouldn't go diesel - although seeing that blue 530d for 7600 on donedeal last week almost made me worship the divil...

Edit: surely those are at least 20 inch alloys on the 545 and not 18s like in the ad?

Advertisement