Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2.5l BMW Efficient Dynamics - common problems?

Options
  • 17-09-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at 07/08 5 series with this engine (or up to 3.0), are there any common problems with these? Hopefully not on the same scale as the diesel timing chain...

I was originally looking at 3 series but there are not many over 2 litre and petrol...

M-Sport, auto, leather, ISOFix (is this common on the 5 series?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Noone knows what petrol is in Ireland anymore... with all the diesel lovin... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

rocky wrote: »
    I'm looking at 07/08 5 series with this engine (or up to 3.0), are there any common problems with these? Hopefully not on the same scale as the diesel timing chain...

I was originally looking at 3 series but there are not many over 2 litre and petrol...

M-Sport, auto, leather, ISOFix (is this common on the 5 series?)

Injectors and coil packs. Avoid at all costs.

Only the 520d is affected by the timing chain problem after September 2007 and that is until the current car came out in 2010, E60 525d/530d and 535ds have a different engine and therefore do NOT have the timing chain problem. If you want a petrol, get the pre-faclifted model, there are a few early 07s that won't have the dreaded Efficient Dynamics nonsense.

How much for the injectors or coil pack repair, and how often would I expect it happen? I like the facelifted models much more...

Is it all ED petrols that are affected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Petrol ED engines eat coil packs fairly regularly. Cant remember what I paid for the last set.

How much for the injectors or coil pack repair, and how often would I expect it happen? I like the facelifted models much more...

Is it all ED petrols that are affected?

All six cylinder petrol E60s anyway, the V8s don't suffer this problem but they have a problem with some o-ring leaking and it costs over €7,000 to repair, although admittedly it's very rare for it to happen.

To be honest, I would go for a six cylinder diesel if you want an LCI E60, ideally a 530d, that's more than quick enough for Irish roads and a 535d will be more of a thief magnet not to mention have another turbo to potentially go wrong!

• Advertisement

6k km a year, I wouldn't go for diesel.

Pre ED then, no major faults?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭ongarite

I have a 2.5L ED E60. I've had no problems with injectors or coil packs in the year I have owned the car.

^what year? and have you any other problems?

impressive list of problems here, a search for N52 yields no results:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/bmw/5-series-e60-2003/?section=bad

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The pre ED engines were sold upto the middle of 2008, the engine code began with M whereas the ED engines begins with N.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

6k km a year, I wouldn't go for diesel.

+1, i'd love to only have that mileage so I could go back to petrol.

Diesel is the fuel of satan

• Advertisement

^what year? and have you any other problems?
    07 LCI model with N53 2.5L ED engine. No problems with the car bar normal servicing parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Jaysus that honest John link is scary! Think I'll be hanging on to my pre ED 325i. Have had no issues at all in almost 5 yrs of ownership. (touch wood!)

bazz26 wrote: »
    The pre ED engines were sold upto the middle of 2008, the engine code began with M whereas the ED engines begins with N.

I thought 2005-2007 the engine code was N52, M5x was for E39 and pre-05 E60 (wiki :o)
    ongarite wrote: »
    07 LCI model with N53 2.5L ED engine. No problems with the car bar normal servicing parts.

I'm reading about injector and HPFP recalls, are the replaced parts still prone to failure??

I thought 2005-2007 the engine code was N52, M5x was for E39 and pre-05 E60 (wiki :o)

I think your right, I was thinking of the diesel engines.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think your right, I was thinking of the diesel engines.

E60 525d/530d/535d are M57 as well, pre and post Efficient Dynamics. The sixes only switched to the N57 when the F10 model came out, and by 2010 the timing chain problem was *apparently* sorted. The N57 has been revised since then as well.

The 523i/525i/530i E60s used the N52 engine from 2005-March 2007, and they're not ED models either. The N52 has a problem with valve lifters making an annoying noise, but it doesn't seem to affect the overall reliability of them, they're a very solid engine apart from that.

Looks like non-ED is the way to go then, even though I quite liked the new gear shifter when compared to previous one.

Anyone know if the replacement injectors and coil packs are still failing on the post 07 E60s?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'm not sure if the issue affects the auto versions - we've only ever had issues with Manual Petrol ED BMW's. Stop/Start didn't come in to the Auto's until fairly recently and the 3 Series Auto's we had seemed to run OK.

The ED 523i Manual that we had, had at least 14 coils replaced and was still running like a bag of spanners when it was sold. The car that replaced it (same model, year newer) has been better, but still not trouble free.

Thanks ROR.

@ongarite, is yours an auto?

Thanks ROR.

@ongarite, is yours an auto?
    Yeah its an auto.

If you are looking at E60s with the N53 engines a check of service history with BMW should tell you if the coils/injectors were replaced before. Also you will be able to hear from the engine if there are problems (noisy injectors, misfiring)

R.O.R wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the issue affects the auto versions - we've only ever had issues with Manual Petrol ED BMW's. Stop/Start didn't come in to the Auto's until fairly recently and the 3 Series Auto's we had seemed to run OK.

Six cylinder BMWs didn't have start/stop until very recently though - the only E60 manual that ever had it was the (four cylinder) 520d.

• Advertisement

This one looks interesting, it's local to me but jesus it's expensive when Sarsfield (:eek:) have a 2008 one for 550 less:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/525-525I/201230209303906/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/523I-SE-/30213477094481030/advert?channel=CARS

The one in Galway is sold for 15k... right, 1.5k over asking :rolleyes:

Probably traded in and the allowance was 15k...

This one looks interesting, it's local to me but jesus it's expensive when Sarsfield (:eek:) have a 2008 one for 550 less:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/525-525I/201230209303906/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/523I-SE-/30213477094481030/advert?channel=CARS

The first one is a 3.0 litre M Sport, the second one is a 2.5 litre SE. M Sports are more desirable and has nearly half the mileage of the SE from the garage.

It's a 525, even worse, 3 liter tax for 525 performance.

plus, 2007 vs 2008 with cheaper tax...

It's a 525, even worse, 3 liter tax for 525 performance.

plus, 2007 vs 2008 with cheaper tax...

I'd rather a well cared for 2007 on high tax than a well knackered 2008 with cheaper tax. Motor tax rate is not the most important figure here.

You'd be off your tree to reckon that 2008 one at 129k miles compares favourably to the M sport 2007 model tbh.

The point is moot, the 2007 one was sold for 15k (:rolleyes:), but for the sake of argument, low miles is not the most important figure either...

Let's say both have the same options, except the MSport having the MSport specific visual options + harder suspension + larger wheels (more expensive tyres). If the SE has Electric seats, I'd almost prefer it to the MSport. Plus the add specifies full main dealer service history which if it checks out is preferable to a private sale...

Tax while not the most important figure is 668 compared to 1400, adding to that the fact the 2007 is more expensive to buy...

Of course, the sweet spot for me would be a 525, so I'll wait for one... :)

The E60 is pretty ugly in SE spec - it really needs the M Sport for the looks. Also the spec in the M Sports tend to be higher than SEs, plus they'll handle better because of the lower suspension.

The only thing I'd do is get rid of the run flats for standard tyres - it will make it a LOT more comfortable.

Agree it's not a beauty, but the facelift (here I go again...) looks ok in SE I think. I don't much care how a car looks, as long as I'm happy with the interior(where I'll be spending the time) and the engine/drivetrain...

• Advertisement

Ha! how about this

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/545-I-E6/6213356044711340/advert?channel=CARS
    THIS IS QUICKER THAN ANY OTHER M5 FULLY CHIPPED !!!!

Advertisement