Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking after sisters budgie

Options
  • 24-09-2011 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Hi, my sister is away for a couple of weeks and I'm looking after her budgie, we've had a budgie before and it was very friendly and outgoing so to speak, it was a bit like a dog, it was always happy to see you and you could handle him no problem and he would fly about and land on your head when you called him, he was a very friendly bird and enjoyed the company and it was plain to see, if you opened his cage he would pop out for a fly about and plop on your shoulder and say hello. My sisters however is terrified of people, you could leave his cage open and he would never come out, if you try to handle him he will be very defensive and nip at you, if you take him out of the cage he is in a state of panic and if you hold him he just lets out alarm calls. I took him out of the cage for an hour or so and tried to get him used to contact but he was obviously very upset. Is it possible to turn this behaviour around through repeated contact or am i just upsetting him and should let him be ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Hi

I keep budgies and to tame them, you really have to handle them and get them used to being picked up, held etc when they are very young. This is the reason that it is recommended you get a young budgie if you want to get it hand tame.

I would recommend you do not try to force the budgie to become tame as they are fairly delicate and they can become stressed very easy with fatal consequences. You could however continue to open the cage and allow the budgie to come out if he chooses.

Advertisement