Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bonding rabbits

• 05-09-2011 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some rabbit advice! I have a 6 month old boy - Rafa - and have just brought another wee lad into the house - Charlie - who's 8 weeks. They have seperate cages and that, but I am keen to get them integrating soon.

Most online advice is only to introduce them once both are neutered, but neither are yet. Rafa's, erm, bits haven't appeared just yet and Charlie is obviously just too young. As it'll be 3 - 4 months before I can really have both neutered, I don't really want to leave it so long because I think it's important they get used to each other soon rather than just sit in their seperate cages looking at one another.

Does anyone have any tips or experience with this? Anything that anyone can tell me would be much appreciated :-)

Cheers

Kenny

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Are you 100% sure they are both males? Mistakes are easily made so if not sure have an experienced bunny vet tell you but in the mean time keeping them side by side will help they can see and smell each other every day havinthem side by side will help with introductions later on.

You could try to introduce them now in a room that's closed off and be there to supervise but since Rafa is the 6 months now his bits should of well dropped so it might be an idea to see if he's a female first and have him/her spayed/neutered just to avoid any accidents. Or he could just be a late developer.

When I had buns they were together when they were younger and then I had them side by side just before and after neutering, I had them done around the same time so by the time they both recovered introductions were easy then. It all depends on their personalities. If you feel more comfortable holding out then just keep them side by side for now and introduce them after neutering on neuteral territory.

If they eventually share a pen together then clean it out well first and rearrange it so neither one had a claim to it before hand so it's new to both of them.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Thanks for that :-)

We've had a vet look at Rafa and he says he's 100% a boy, but I've had my doubts too. There's a little lump that could be his bits but it's hard to tell, I'm going to bring him back to the vet soon.

Incidentally, Rafa was out while his cage was being cleaned and he went straight over to Charlie and would not take his eyes off him. Poor Charlie was terrified so I moved his cage up where Rafa couldn't see him. Then Rafa immediately pooped and weed where the cage had been, and since he always normally goes in his tray, me thinks he's marking his territory. Should be a joy trying to bond them!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

You could try putting them in the same hutch but with some wire mesh between them. Try that for a few minute first then longer as the days go on. They'll get used to each other without the danger of them fighting!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

If the are both males their will likely be a little fight over dominance though this should settle down pretty quickly especially that you are introducing a younger male, the older one may eventually take on an almost fathering roll.

I definitely agree introducing on neutral territory is key as they wont feel as threatened. Clean out cage to remove any of their scents. In some cases they just wont get along at all, but segregating the cages so they can still hear and see and smell one another should be fine as they wont feel alone.

Ok, so ***UPDATE***

Firstly, I brought Rafa to be neutered and the very same vet who confirmed it was a boy 3 months ago discovers it's a girl! Which kind of explains why she's so moody :-p

Anyway, Rafa was neutered nearly three weeks ago and I've made a few gentle attempts at bonding her with Charlie. I've placed their cages next to each other for a start. When I let either out to play, they often hop over to each other. Charlie will just hop over and have a sniff of her and be on his way. Rafa, on the other hand, goes straight over to Charlie's cage, poops and wees all around it, and constantly jumps on top of it. Charlie seems reasonably unfazed at this, whereas Rafa, being territorial I guess, tries to scratch at Charlie everytime he comes near her house.

On the 2 - 3 occassions I've had them out together, it doesn't go well. They're curious of each other, and I think Charlie likes her. Last time, Charlie started grooming Rafa and seemed really friendly, but same as the other couple of times, soon enough Rafa was lunging at him and I had to separate them. Anyone have any ideas or experience to share?

I'm beginning to think maybe Rafa just doesn't want a friend. She's very independant, never comes near us really and doesn't like to be picked up. She likes to be petted but only when in her cage. Charlie, on the other hand, is practically like a dog and loves human attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Is Charlie neutered?

Hey,

No he hasn't been neutered - he's only 10 weeks so it's too early.

Advertisement