Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours dog-report neglect?

Options
  • 15-08-2011 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Just moved into a new house at the start of the month and the neighbours 2 doors down have a dog that barks and whines nearly all day all night. At first it was just really really annoying and wakes us up during the night and early in the morning.
    Now we have noticed that the dog is outside all day and night never gets any attention or brought for walks, doesn't have much of a shelter and we realise that that is why its whining and barking so much. One night last week it was rainy very heavy and the dog was outside whining for hours we had to move to front room to sleep and even there we could still hear it, and feel really bad for the dog.
    We want to report them for neglect but here's the problem. We just moved in so I'm sure they would know it was us. The family is part of the travelling community and I'm not saying anything bad about travellers as I have done a lot of outreach work with them in other communities, but I also know how they can be and am genuinely scared of what might happen if we do report them.
    I'm due my first baby in Jan and worry that if we don't do anything about the situation that the barking and whining will keep me form the little sleep I will be getting then and make things a lot harder for my family. I feel really stuck as the noise is affecting us and the way the dog is being treated is not good.
    What can we do? Moving out is not an option.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

This is an easy one. Report them immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Yes, Ring the DSPCA. I've done it once. My neighbours dog was living in inches of mud and never got any attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

agree would defo report them. unfortunate thing is if the dog is taken they will nore than likely just get a new one:mad: and itll be same story over again

If you live in an estate with loads of houses they wont know who reported them as it could have been anyone. If you havent said it to any neighbours yet dont and just report them, the DSPCA will be discrete and not say where the complaint came from. if you tell them your concerns they might say they were in the area a few times and heard the dog themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

. if you tell them your concerns they might say they were in the area a few times and heard the dog themselves?

This is a good idea as I really am worried about what would happen. It's very hard as I really want to report them and help the dog but really am terrified. I think it has to do with being pregnant and just don't want any hassle or trouble. I can tell from the upkeep of their front and back yard and things I have overheard over the fence that they are not the nicest people. I am convinced they would know it was us I'm sure this has been going on awhile and maybe nobody has complained so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    This is a good idea as I really am worried about what would happen. It's very hard as I really want to report them and help the dog but really am terrified. I think it has to do with being pregnant and just don't want any hassle or trouble. I can tell from the upkeep of their front and back yard and things I have overheard over the fence that they are not the nicest people. I am convinced they would know it was us I'm sure this has been going on awhile and maybe nobody has complained so far.

Any SPCA will never reveal a complainant. They have a long list of excuses like "I was driving by". Your other option would be to complain about the noise nuisance to the Council.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Yup I'd ring up and make a complaint.

I rang up about someone on my road before, the DSPCA didn't even ask my name or a contact number (Which I was rather surprised at) they took the address and the issue and someone actually called out that day to the house in question. Even if it makes the owners think twice about neglecting their dogs. And there will be records of complaints should they get many for the one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Playing Devil's Advicate here:

What issues would you report them on? As the OP said, the dog has some shelter. It may be well fed and have water available. It may be a pup adapting to a new home and a new life as an outdoor dog?

If it has shelter, food and water and is cared for, even slightly, the SPCA cannot do much.

The whining and barking could be dealt with using the Courts and Noise Pollution Acts but this rarely results in much.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭rafaetha

Hobbitfeet, if nothing else works I suggest that you buy a sound conditioner. I bought one myself as the neighbours in my block are rather noisy and like to slam doors repeatedly during late hours of the night.

Basically it's a white noise machine that "creates a consistent, smooth sound of rushing air".
    You can find one on Amazon for about £40 or £50. Here's a link to the one I bought a couple months ago.

The white noise sound might be able to mask the neighbour dog's barking and help you sleep. ANother benefit is that this kind of noise is said to calm babies, so I'd say it's a good investment as you're pregnant. If you don't like it you can always return it but let me say it can take a few days until you get used to it.

Good luck! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

RosieJoe wrote: »

What issues would you report them on? As the OP said, the dog has some shelter. It may be well fed and have water available. It may be a pup adapting to a new home and a new life as an outdoor dog?

If it has shelter, food and water and is cared for, even slightly, the SPCA cannot do much.

The whining and barking could be dealt with using the Courts and Noise Pollution Acts but this rarely results in much.

Even if the SPCA can't prosecute a visit from them may well improve the conditions that the dog is in. It also puts the owners on warning that the dog is being monitored. There is this illusion that nothing can be done when, in reality, the laws do exist. If in the opinion of an expert, in other words a vet, the conditions are causing the animal to suffer then that constitutes cruelty.

The same law applied in the UK until recently & it never stopped them prosecuting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

RosieJoe wrote: »

There is a small shed at the back of their garden but the dog never goes in there even in the rain it is sitting at the back door whining so maybe the roofs not good and its just as wet in there not sure. Its not a pup for sure can tell from looking at her. My partner thinks by the look of her they are using the dog just for breeding and selling on pups although he always thinks the worst :)
    She doesn't bark so much barks when we make noise in our garden or a cat on the wall these kinds of things. But the whining is a lot more frequent especially at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

We had a similar problem before..I nearly went off my head. I couldn't even sit outside in the garden with the noise the dog made never mind sleep. The poor thing was left alone for hours and hours. He only had a tiny shed with a little window in really hot weather. He'd bark for hours.

It turned out my neighbour on my other side actually reported them. I was mortified as i was always hissing 'be quiet!!!' out the bedroom window at the dog so I was sure they'd think it was me. They emigrated shortly after leaving the dog with a relative.

A workmate of mine had the same problem with two dogs next door to her...she got this device that made a sound only dogs can hear. I don't know how it works but it seems to upset them some way because it worked for her..she'd hang out the window and press it every time they'd bark.

I don't know how people can listen to their own dogs barking, my heart would be broke worrying that they're lonely or frightened never mind keeping the whole street awake at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jamesm5744

Snip--Have a few days off from the forum for that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

jamesm5744 wrote: »
    Its time the PC brigade stopper skipping around the traveller issue, most of them are wife beating scum and should only be allowed to keep animals when they are proven worthy.
    Are you for real lad? any proof to back up that statement???? I no alot of travellers that are nice people and dont beat their wifes:rolleyes: sure these ones are trating the dog bad but just as many settled people treat their animals badly and beat their wifes

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Are you for real lad? any proof to back up that statement???? I no alot of travellers that are nice people and dont beat their wifes:rolleyes: sure these ones are trating the dog bad but just as many settled people treat their animals badly and beat their wifes

User has been banned so probably wont respond.

Advertisement