Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a behaviourist in Cork please.

Options
  • 24-09-2011 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,
    doesn`t want to open a new topic, so I just reopened this.

Can somebody recommend a good dog behaviourist in Cork City or the surrounding area who does home visits? Seems like the dog issues of my rescue are more severe and much more pressing then i thought.

I just came from a walk and am still shaking. My retriever attacked a small westie today and it was a fight to get im off the poor small guy. We were lucky the westie wasn`t hurt physically (and the dog owner concerned but understanding).

Of course I immediately got him a muzzle and changed the Flexy to a normal leash.

I want to tackle the issue as fast as possible now with professional help. I`ve read here people mentioned the cork dog listener and Bev Truss as an option. Any experience with the Dog Listener? Bev seems to be highly recommended but i don`t know if she is still doing home consultations so far away.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Maybe she could try bringing him for walks when there's no other dogs around? I find early in the morning tends to be a good time, or along by canals.

If the dog doesn't like socializing with strange dogs, that's fine- making him confront them will probably not help, and will stress everyone out. If you know someone who has an unflappable, submissive, playful dog you might be able to introduce them in a controlled way in a neutral environment (not on either dog's territory)? Or practice walking him when he can see other dogs but they're far away enough that they're not a threat, and distract him?

I find that a confident manner, keeping myself between the other dog and my dog, and in extreme cases picking the dog up and walking away, works well enough provided you walk at less-crowded times and places. A terrier does need walks, and they enjoy them so much.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Kattra wrote: »
    Hi,
    doesn`t want to open a new topic, so I just reopened this.

Split this into a new thread as its a separate issue to the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kattra

Thank you Adrenalinjunkie!
    I just didn`t want to spam the board as the other user was searching a behaviourist in the same area. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I think the lady who did my doggy training is also a behaviourist. I know she does house visits.

If you PM me, I can find her no.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'd recommend the Dog Listener.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

theres a guy whos quite good in carrigaine / crosshaven.
    PM me and I'll send you on his details

Advertisement