Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood at the end of stool.

Options
  • 24-09-2011 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I got a new puppy (8 weeks old) yesterday and I've noticed a small amount of blood at the end of it's stool. Is this normal.? Should I take it to the vet:mad: really worried I am.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

It might just be a reaction to something it ate but are all its shots up to date.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

How is the puppy otherwise? Any sign of lethargy? Eating and drinking okay? What food was the pup on, and what food have you put the pup on, or have you stuck with the same food?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

We had it with our older guy when he came here sometimes it happens with a change in environment or stress. Cleared up after a day, just keep an eye on it and if it happens longer than a day I'd be bringing pup to the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 flakey21

Shanao wrote: »
    How is the puppy otherwise? Any sign of lethargy? Eating and drinking okay? What food was the pup on, and what food have you put the pup on, or have you stuck with the same food?

The dog seems fine. I have it on the same food as the breeder had it on. Ricer I think it's called. It has been parvoid. It just needs 1 more shot. Do u reckon I should take it to the vet?

We had it with our older guy when he came here sometimes it happens with a change in environment or stress. Cleared up after a day, just keep an eye on it and if it happens longer than a day I'd be bringing pup to the vet.

Thanks for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

With puppies you need to be very careful when it comes to blood in the poo. I would keep an eye for another day and see what the poos are like.

Have you given the pup anything different to eat? Just make sure the pup is drinling plenty and is in good form. ANy changes in this and its a trip straight to the vet.
    Has the pup been wormed regularly?

andreac wrote: »
    With puppies you need to be very careful when it comes to blood in the poo. I would keep an eye for another day and see what the poos are like.

Have you given the pup anything different to eat? Just make sure the pup is drinling plenty and is in good form. ANy changes in this and its a trip straight to the vet.
    Has the pup been wormed regularly?

I was advised the pup has been recently wormed, I have given it a small amount of boiled chicken to see if it helps other then that I havnt changed it's diet. If it's still the Same tomorrow I will bring it to the vet on Monday.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

flakey21 wrote: »
    The dog seems fine. I have it on the same food as the breeder had it on. Ricer I think it's called. It has been parvoid. It just needs 1 more shot. Do u reckon I should take it to the vet?

Is the only vaccination its had the parvo one? If so, then you need to get the puppy the 8in1 vaccination as soon as possible, and then a booster 3-4 weeks later. The breeder should have had the 8in1 done already, but a lot of them are only bothering to do the parvo one so now you'll have to start the cycle of immunity yourself. If Racer is the food, then the pup needs to come off that too, but that's for a different topic.
    As andreac said, once the pup is eating and drinking fine, then just keep an eye on him, any change at all and to the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Flakey21, sounds like your doing everything just fine with the pup, as has been said just keep an eye on all of the toilet times, the stress of a new home and a new enviroment can easily do this to the puppy!

Advertisement