Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should John Terry be England Capt again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Tough one to call. I think Lampard provided he was fully fit should be given it.
    give it to Downing or Baines if they are playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

as long as that runt Rooney doesn't get it

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

I think he should be..In fairness he's served his punishment.

Whatever about his actions off the field, he is a leader on the pitch. Even the players have come out numerous times and said this.

He has took his punishment but I have to agree with what he said after the Egypt match.
    I felt, "OK, I've been stripped of the captaincy, but don't take the p*** out of me",' said Terry. 'I think they would have given it to one of the stewards ahead of me.

Then again I'm biased........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

To be honest, he's the best man for the job in a footballing sense, but surely the job of captain goes much deeper than just being a leader on the field?

If this happens though it's another blot on Capello's ever worsening England copybook, as IIRC he said as long as he was in charge that Terry wouldn't captain England again. Then again, he hasn't kept his word on anything he's said as England manager thus far so I wouldn't be surprised.

I'd have to say no to this if it was up to me, based on the fact that the job of captain goes much deeper than just being a leader on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Doesn't really matter, being captain doesn't change much, the leaders will stay the same on the pitch and in the dressing room, it's just another thing the English media tend to make far too big a deal about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I don't think England are crying out for him to be honest.
    They have a huge pool of players to choose from and he's not exceptionally better than a lot of centre halves available to England nor is he more charismatic than a lot of their first team players either.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Daily Fail

//Thread.

If Terry was to displace Ferdinand permanently as captain, what sort of message would that send out to the team? It would be treating the captaincy as a joke IMO.

If he wants to make him captain for a couple of games while Ferdinand/Gerrard are injured, it would cause more trouble than it's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Terry is past it, Gerrard and Ferdinand injured. Looking at their squad it leaves Lampard, Cole, Rooney, Barry and Johnson as their most experienced players by far. My money would be on Lampard.. Terry, Cole and Rooney have too much controversy surrounding them to warrant a captaincy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Dotsey wrote: »
    Terry is past it, Gerrard and Ferdinand injured. Looking at their squad it leaves Lampard, Cole, Rooney, Barry and Johnson as their most experienced players by far. My money would be on Lampard.. Terry, Cole and Rooney have too much controversy surrounding them to warrant a captaincy

Chelsea have the best defence in the PL this season, I don't see you can make that assumption, he was the only player putting in solid performances when the rest of the team around him fell to pieces. For me England only have one CB who comes close to him, Ferdinand who has only played something like 4 of the last 15 games and probably won't be around the England scene after the Euro's, Terry will be 33 at the 2014 WC which could still be considered the tail end of a CB's prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Wouldnt personally give it to Lamps or Terry tbh.As a Chelsea fan.Although thats just based on their National games.Dunno what wrong with that lot.Strange ole game international football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

It's a poisoned chalice anyway.. unless you deliver a World Cup or European Championship then the whole English media has you in their crosshairs.

It's like in The Sopranos when Tony "allows" Uncle Junior take control, he acts as a lightning rod for all the attention directed towards them. Terry is better off being free of that burden tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

Im sorry, but who gives a flying ****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Terry shouldn't even be playing, never mind captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

OptaJoe on Twitter says that England lost just 4 games out of 28 that Terry captained, so statistics are in his favor.

But then again who cares about statistics, the bloke is a grade A muppet who needs to learn he can't get away with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Lukker- wrote: »
    Chelsea have the best defence in the PL this season, I don't see you can make that assumption, he was the only player putting in solid performances when the rest of the team around him fell to pieces. For me England only have one CB who comes close to him, Ferdinand who has only played something like 4 of the last 15 games and probably won't be around the England scene after the Euro's, Terry will be 33 at the 2014 WC which could still be considered the tail end of a CB's prime.
    No they don't.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    No they don't.

Have another look at the goals conceded section.
    Here, I made it easier for you.

Goals conceded:

1 Blackpool-58
    2 WBA-54
    3 Aston Villa-50
    4 Wigan Athletic-50
    5 Blackburn-49
    6 West Ham Utd-49
    7 Wolves-49
    8 Newcastle-41
    9 Bolton-40
    10 Birmingham-39
    11 Everton-38
    12 Stoke City-38
    13 Liverpoo-36
    14 Sunderland-35
    15 Tottenham-34
    16 Fulham-31
    17 Man Utd-30
    18 Arsenal-27
    19 Man City-25
    20 Chelsea-24

Yeah, that proves it alright, well done :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Of course he shouldn't be captain. He's meant to be the one bringing the squad together, to be the voice for them if things need to be said to the manager etc.

To sleep with a teammate's bird isn't exactly gonna bring a squad together in unison. If i was part of that squad, i wouldn't give a f*ck what Terry had to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Why is this worthy of a thread????

• Advertisement

Yeah, that proves it alright, well done :rolleyes:

Am...I'm intrigued. is there a better way to determine one of the best defences over the course of the season? I'm sure teams such as Blackpool are dying to hear such reasoning, care to venture?

papagormo wrote: »
    Am...I'm intrigued. is there a better way to determine one of the best defences over the course of the season? I'm sure teams such as Blackpool are dying to hear such reasoning, care to venture?

Not really, but those statistics don't prove the best back four, due to injuries and suspensions, not every team on that list has had there full back four playing all season.

You could also add in other factors which I couldn't be bothered to Too, but that list doesn't prove who has the best back four.

Not really, but those statistics don't prove the best back four, due to injuries and suspensions, not every team on that list has had there full back four playing all season.

You could also add in other factors which I couldn't be bothered to Too, but that list doesn't prove who has the best back four.

Chelsea haven't been immune to injuries or suspensions any less than any other team in the league.
    Alex is long term injured
    and until recently Bosingwa was out of action.

Two pretty big players for our defence normally. So we have had to made the best of the sitauation as much as any other team in the league. We have gone through the "big blip" period aswell bear in mind, and yet we are still sitting 24 goals conceded, the least amount of goals conceded by any team so far this season.
    And that represents the best defence in the league whichever way you look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Never believe anything the Daily Mail tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

How has this even made it to 2 pages ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

mixednuts wrote: »

Priceless! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Terry is the male equivalent of a slag. Would you make the slag the captain of the womens football team !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Not really, but those statistics don't prove the best back four.

It doesn't prove who has the best back 4 on paper but it does prove who has "the best defence in the PL this season" which is exactly the point he made.
    due to injuries and suspensions, not every team on that list has had there full back four playing all season.

I know, Alex is still out for us, Terry was out earlier in the season as was Bosingwa and yet we've still conceded the least, isn't that mad?

In fairness, at this stage you're probably aware you're wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

mixednuts wrote: »

It hasn't :) 40pppftw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

No-one said best back 4. It's best defence, and Chelsea do have the best defence on that evidence. With injuries and suspensions factored in, they still come out on top, or are you under the impression that Chelsea have had their first choice back 4 available all season long :confused:

Advertisement