Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts about GMIT

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Keelman91

Hey all!, i'l be starting in gmit cluain mhuire soon enough for art and design,having a bit of a prob with a gaff though,looking for an old house r watevs,not fussy,once its cheap and not a tooatal kip,anyone in the same boat give me an ole message :) sooound :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Keelman91 wrote: »
    Hey all!, i'l be starting in gmit cluain mhuire soon enough for art and design,having a bit of a prob with a gaff though,looking for an old house r watevs,not fussy,once its cheap and not a tooatal kip,anyone in the same boat give me an ole message :) sooound :D

I hadn't expected to go to GMIT so when I got the offer (5 years ago), panicked about accommodation. There are plenty of digs nearby. Check Daft. I got an ensuite room in the student accommodation, Glasan, which is right accross the road from GMIT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Wingawongawoo

Monife wrote: »
    I hadn't expected to go to GMIT so when I got the offer (5 years ago), panicked about accommodation. There are plenty of digs nearby. Check Daft. I got an ensuite room in the student accommodation, Glasan, which is right accross the road from GMIT.

Just in case yer man is not from Galway, it's worth pointing out that Glasan is across the road from the Dublin Road campus, and about a 20-30min walk from the Cluain Mhuire campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GalwaYGaLX1X

hated gmit with a passion, the lecturers are terrible, facilities are terrible, well the canteen is ok i suppose, gym is a rip off for what it it, its cold, rooms are tiny except for lecture halls, galway night life has gone seriously down hill in the past year! i left gmit and am now going to tallaght because it is way better! gmit graduates go nowhere i know over 15 people from 21-30 who completed business hons degree and the furthest two of them got was working in a petrol station...behind the till!!! my bother went to nuig same course already has a job in an accountancy firm!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

I have both a B.Eng and M.Eng from GMIT and also have a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Keelman91

Monife wrote: »
    Yeah thats cool,i know the score with where the campuses are in relation to accoms anyway,looking to share a house or something, have already done 2 years in cork and safe to say,.i dont think student halls are for me :D ,thanks anyway,il keep on searching,il get something in the end sure! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

hated gmit with a passion, the lecturers are terrible, facilities are terrible, well the canteen is ok i suppose, gym is a rip off for what it it, its cold, rooms are tiny except for lecture halls, galway night life has gone seriously down hill in the past year! i left gmit and am now going to tallaght because it is way better! gmit graduates go nowhere i know over 15 people from 21-30 who completed business hons degree and the furthest two of them got was working in a petrol station...behind the till!!! my bother went to nuig same course already has a job in an accountancy firm!!

Mind ya head at night in 'Talla' lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

gmit graduates go nowhere i know over 15 people from 21-30 who completed business hons degree and the furthest two of them got was working in a petrol station...behind the till!!! my bother went to nuig same course already has a job in an accountancy firm!!

This is Ireland in 2011, most graduates can't get jobs, let alone jobs in their chosen field. Also, using your brother as one example of an NUI graduate who got a job is a bit tenuous to say the least. I say this as a graduate of both GMIT and NUI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Did anybody get the welcome pack yet from GMIT? Accepted the CAO offer for the Business course and heard nothing back yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ratzy

Thinking of renting in gort na glaise on sandy road. Is it too far from gmit? is their a bus service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Did anybody get the welcome pack yet from GMIT? Accepted the CAO offer for the Business course and heard nothing back yet.

Nope i haven't got anything back off them yet either. In the next week i'd be expecting it.

ratzy wrote: »
    Thinking of renting in gort na glaise on sandy road. Is it too far from gmit? is their a bus service?

I lived there when I was in first year and thought it was a pain in the arse. The bus services in Galway are appalling and I got soaked walking in so many mornings cause it rains a LOT there. Renmore is a pretty good spot to live for GMIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ratzy

I lived there when I was in first year and thought it was a pain in the arse. The bus services in Galway are appalling and I got soaked walking in so many mornings cause it rains a LOT there. Renmore is a pretty good spot to live for GMIT.

How long does it take to walk? Where is the nearest bus stop?

^^ Maybe 25 minutes or so, it's been almost six years so I could stand to be corrected on that. There's a bus stop pretty close to Sandy Road, but seriously, you can't rely on public transport in Galway, it's unbelievably bad.

Renmore, Lurgan Park or Ballybane are probably better options. Renmore is pretty perfect, it's a nice area with a beach and plenty of parks, it's close to GMIT but it's still only about twenty minutes away from town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

mink_man wrote: »
    early in the morning might be hard to get parking but around 1 or 2 o clock is fine, you can always down near lurgan park, guaranteed space and lots of cars park there.

Don't park in local estates like Renmore or Lurgan park, new yellow lines everywhere,and the Community wardens and Guards ticket cars regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

How early would you have to park to get a good space?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 U2sir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 samoro

well honestly i have a my four degree from GMIT in science and i thought it was an excellant college....with a very high standard. I applied to NUS singapore ranked in top 30 in world and hong kong university also highly ranked and got accepted to both with my degree. I decided to go to malaysia UM which is ranked higher than all the universities in Ireland except trinity. Globally irelands education is very well thought of....but its a typically irish mentally to think one parish is better than the next!!...look at the big picture. Oh yes i also got a job straight out of GMIt with boston scientific the second world leader in medical device manufacturer...your degree is stepping stone...the one of many....this sillyness of comparsion is just stupid. all the honours degrees are at the same level 8 HETC

Advertisement