Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sh*t the No Campaigners Say

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32753085
    What the neighbours are being told -- the No campaigners at the end of the clip are "interesting" - esp what they would do if the Yes side wins -- one would pray quietly and in fairness is dignified, the other invokes Sodom and Gomorrah :(

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

Got called a heterophobe at my front door by a no campaign for voting yes. As a straight woman I found this highly amusing

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Posted a picture of myself wearing a Yes Equality badge on my Facebook the other night. One of my friends asked why I was voting yes, so I explained that I think everyone should be allowed to marry the person they love. Among the responses from this same woman was this:

"... changing the rights of a child is hidden in this scam of equility and I will not be so uneducated to trust the government in their latest hidden agenda vote."

She also insulted me, and several of my friends, along with basically calling me stupid for voting yes. I thought about taking the picture down and removing her comments but why should I? I'm proud to be voting yes and I won't let someone else's insults change my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Some people shouldn't be allowed to think since they obviously cant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭gravehold

hdowney wrote: »
    Some people shouldn't be allowed to think since they obviously cant

Was that said by a yes campaigner?

• Advertisement

I have actually heard it said (in slightly different words) by both sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Got called a heterophobe at my front door by a no campaign for voting yes. As a straight woman I found this highly amusing

A friend of mine was called a homocide years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Posted a picture of myself wearing a Yes Equality badge on my Facebook the other night. One of my friends asked why I was voting yes, so I explained that I think everyone should be allowed to marry the person they love. Among the responses from this same woman was this:

"... changing the rights of a child is hidden in this scam of equility and I will not be so uneducated to trust the government in their latest hidden agenda vote."

She also insulted me, and several of my friends, along with basically calling me stupid for voting yes. I thought about taking the picture down and removing her comments but why should I? I'm proud to be voting yes and I won't let someone else's insults change my mind.

One of your ex-friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

galljga1 wrote:
    One of your ex-friends?
    Yes, I should have use that term loosely tbh. 'Friend' in the Facebook sense of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

surpy wrote: »
    There's a chap on Facebook currently arguing about "mens rights". He's currently fixated on how women can use mens toilets but if here went into the ladies there would be uproar...

Almost Feel sorry for how deluded some people are

Ah yes, the Butthurt Dweller contingent of the No vote. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Demonique

eviltwin wrote: »
    The American crazy who says SSM will lead to abortion

So they think gay people will abort the accidental pregnancies they catch from boinking people of the same sex?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Demonique

Not quite an Irish campaigner, but...

"If you think there's no connection between gay marriage in America and the earthquake in Nepal, you obviously don't know the way that god thinks. Consider it him warning us." ~ Michele Bachmann

I've heard similar from no people about the mural on George's Street being washed away.

I've always wondered what would happen if someone was struck by lightning at an anti-LGBT or anti-abortion rally? Would they take it as a sign from god that he thinks they're a bunch of ****faces?
    Breda O'Brien banging on about how the Yes campaign is being funded.

She can ... because they are all open about their funding and have registered as Third Parties with the SIPO.

While her own "charity" is notoriously secretive about it's funding and refuses to register as a Third Party.

However ...

http://bocktherobber.com/2013/06/what-exactly-is-the-iona-institute/

Her own charity? You mean Feminists for Life (oxymoron, you can't be a feminist if you're anti-abortion) or the Ipoona Institute?

^It's almost certainly both.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

David Quinn's comments today are getting towards the insane

1: People will get married for a joke or as a "friendship pact". Considering 95% of people of suitable age are already capable of getting married, why is this not happening already if its so certain to happen with the other 5%?
    2: Something incomprehensible about family trees.

Its almost as if he's run out of ideas, thankfully only one more news cycle to hear from them...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Last night's Prime Time debate brought that one up. The lawyer dude (mates, apparently, with William Binchy) mentioned a case in New Zealand about two guys getting married as a joke. I'm incredulous that that's how the no side choose to spend their 50% equal coverage time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

surpy wrote: »
    There's a chap on Facebook currently arguing about "mens rights". He's currently fixated on how women can use mens toilets but if here went into the ladies there would be uproar...

Almost Feel sorry for how deluded some people are

good lord, some people are just pure head melts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Aard wrote: »
    Last night's Prime Time debate brought that one up. The lawyer dude (mates, apparently, with William Binchy) mentioned a case in New Zealand about two guys getting married as a joke. I'm incredulous that that's how the no side choose to spend their 50% equal coverage time.

New Zealand has simplistic divorce laws, costing about €150 if uncontested. We don't.
    New Zealand requires 3 to 5 days notice of a marriage. We require a lot longer.

The hoops to jump through in getting married and divorced here are sufficient to ensure that nobody is going to do it for a joke. However, it was entirely possible for the NZ case to have happened with mixed-sex marriages already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Aard wrote: »

It's not really that surprising. The no campaign has been all about misdirection and bringing up irrelevant topics. They're hoping that by pointing out the nonsense extremes people might recoil to their side.

Back on topic - it seems that someone thinks that we shouldn't be having the referendum because the implications for birth certs may not have been fully worked out (nevermind that it's a surrogacy not a same sex marriage issue).

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭tomato1234

Everyone! Free taxis to your polling stations! No excuses!

http://blog.uber.com/dublin-votes?fb_ref=Default

Guy on Facebook shared a link to 'what's next' if the vote is passed. An article about two men in Pennsylvania who wanted to get married to sort their affairs but couldn't cos it was illegal at the time. So apparently one adopted the other. Then a court ruled that the law against ssm was unconstitutional. So now they want to nullify the adoption and get married like they originally planned.

Basically he (fb twat) was saying the gays will all go out and marry their adopted children if we pass the referendum! !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

It just highlights the lengths people will go to to protect their family in the absence of ssm.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

And it also highlights the daft mindsets of some people. Some of what I've heard over the course of this referendum really doesn't say much for decent common sense.

Another hit from the "Butthurt Dwellers for No" campaign: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95580138

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

A group of European politicians are claiming there's some sort of government and police conspiracy and people are being intimated into voting yes. The multinationals are in on it too, I can only assume the evil plan goes a bit like:

1. Achieve marriage equality
    2. ????
    3. PROFIT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

Lawliet wrote: »
    A group of European politicians are claiming there's some sort of government and police conspiracy and people are being intimated into voting yes. The multinationals are in on it too, I can only assume the evil plan goes a bit like:

2. ????
    3. PROFIT!!!

An increase in public's happiness will surely mean more money spent. God we've all fallen for it!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭circadian

Lawliet wrote: »

2. ????
    3. PROFIT!!!

"It's a trap!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭circadian

Ash885 wrote: »
    Everything and anything posted on Keith Mills twitter. I don't follow him but when I need a good laugh I skim through some of his "thoughts" ^^ if some new gems crop up I'll post them on here.

Had a look for the first time.

I thought it was a parody account at first.

I have now been told by a no mong on fb that the vote has EVERYTHING to do with religion and NOTHING to do with politics.

A VOTE. To CHANGE the CONSTITUTION. Has NOTHING to do with politics!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

hdowney wrote: »
    I have now been told by a no mong on fb that the vote has EVERYTHING to do with religion and NOTHING to do with politics.
    A mong? Nice - says more about you than it does about him. Ironic that you choose language in an Equality debate that demeans people with intellectual disabilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Right folks Mong is an offensive term. Don't use it again.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement