Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon - Full 200 megs coming but computer only showing 80?

Options
  • 27-02-2014 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hey there

So I just moved to a new place in Patrick Street and got the UPC Horizon 200 mb bundle.

The computer was only showing a download speed of 80something megs, but the UPC technician was just in and the tests show that the actual box is getting full speed, he even tried it with my ethernet cable and his laptop showed 206 mbs.

Seems like there's something weird going on with my windows 8.1, maybe?
    Anyone has any clues on what it might be, if something similar happened to anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

probably down to your Ethernet card not being a gigabit Ethernet connection. If its 100 baseT then 80 is about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

Yep, think that's what it is. Didn't even occur to me!
    (or to the technician)
    Cheers, will look out for a cheap gigabit Ethernet card, then.
    probably down to your Ethernet card not being a gigabit Ethernet connection. If its 100 baseT then 80 is about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭moonship

I had exactly the same situation and i think its up to win 8.1 settings. Technician few times showed me 200mb on his laptop and on my desktop max 80 by cable. And its not because of the ethernet cable as when i connect through vpn (uk server) i am getting 205mb!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Hey there

So I just moved to a new place in Patrick Street and got the UPC Horizon 200 mb bundle.

The computer was only showing a download speed of 80something megs, but the UPC technician was just in and the tests show that the actual box is getting full speed, he even tried it with my ethernet cable and his laptop showed 206 mbs.

Seems like there's something weird going on with my windows 8.1, maybe?
    Anyone has any clues on what it might be, if something similar happened to anyone else?

Im getting the same im told my computer is 10/100 can you check yours and see if its 10/1000 (or something like that, id really like toknow whats going on i think they are lying to us.

moonship wrote: »
    I had exactly the same situation and i think its up to win 8.1 settings. Technician few times showed me 200mb on his laptop and on my desktop max 80 by cable. And its not because of the ethernet cable as when i connect through vpn (uk server) i am getting 205mb!!!

how do you do that?

• Advertisement

Goto 'network and sharing center'
    then 'Change adapter settings' on the left
    Double click on your network connection, usually labelled ethernet or similar
    On the screen that comes up it shows speed, if this reads 100 then you probably dont have an gigabit ethernet card or its set to 100 megs.

If you click the 'Details' button it will tell you the type of controller in the discription field. Its easy to google this and see what sppeds its capable of.

here is my specs after i followed your steps, and also the internet speed done on IE. pretty **** really. no UPC engineer can tell me why my computer is not going to the 100 my computer says it can. do you know why this is?? wlrtp3.png has it anything to do with my computer being busy? as you can see im transferring stuff on my main computer to my hdd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

tonyheaney wrote: »
    here is my specs after i followed your steps, and also the internet speed done on IE. pretty **** really. no UPC engineer can tell me why my computer is not going to the 100 my computer says it can. do you know why this is?? wlrtp3.png has it anything to do with my computer being busy? as you can see im transferring stuff on my main computer to my hdd.

You must have a Gigabit Ethernet Lan card in your PC to get above 100Mb
    Gigabit Ethernet = 1000Mb

With 100Mb Fast Ethernet Card the max it can reach is about 80Mb and
    only when its not been used by any programs that are using your internet and also when not transferring files
    Your PC has a 10/100Mb Ethernet Card
    You speed will be at 40Mb-80Mb and only if no other internet devices are using your broadband and you are not using UTorrent
    You need to upgrade your PC Network Card to a Gigabit Ethernet Card to get above 80Mb

Speed Test
    PC your using to test the broadband speed
    Remember disable UTorrent when doing a Speed test
    Don't have any Files uploading or been transferred that are using any program that using your broadband
    Don't have any other wired or wireless devices in use when do a speed test

The average speed with normal use you will get with a 10/100Mb Ethernet lan connection is 40-80 max
    If your have torrent program in use this will reduce your speed a lot

Your PC doing a Broadband Speed Test
    You only have 10/100Mb Ethernet Card
    I see you have UTorrent in use if that is downloading and seeding it will affect your speed test in a big way
    You also have Dropbox in use that will also affect your speed if its uploading files
    You have lot of programs running that use your broadband
    Your transferring Large files
    That is why you only got 29.33Mb Speed test result

Lot of customers would have not noticed this problem when broadband speed from UPC was only 50Mb package
    When speeds went to 100Mb and above they the notice they will only get Wired Broadband speeds of 40-80
    and even lower depending on what programs/devices running are using the lan connection
    with 10/100Mb Ethernet Card

To use 100Mb 120Mb 200Mb and above you must have a Gigabit Ethernet
    10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Card in your PC or Laptop

Wireless Guide
    You also must have a Wireless N usb adapter or built in Wireless N Card
    Also with Wireless N most only have a max of 150Mb but in reality you will only get 40Mb to 70Mb speed
    depending on wireless signal and distance from the wireless router
    Wireless Max Speeds in theory
    Wireless B 11 Mbps (2.4GHz)
    Wireless G 54 Mbps (2.4GHz)
    Wireless N 150Mbs (2.4Hhz)
    Wireless N (2.4GHz and 5 GHz)
    150Mbps typical for network adapters, 300Mbps, 450Mbps, and 600Mbps speeds when bonding channels with some routers
    Wireless 802.11ac 1300 Mbps (5 GHz)

Wireless Real world speeds you will get are

Wireless B =2Mb to max 5Mb
    Wireless G =20Mb average
    Wireless N =40-50 Mbps typical speeds
    Sometimes you will get 70Mbs - 80Mbps under optimal conditions high signal no interference

Specifying a channel, and using 40MHz channels can help achieve 70-80Mbps with some newer routers channel bonding 2.4Ghz 20/40
    Some times its best to disable 40Mhz and only use Channels 1/6/11 with cheaper routers (UPC Routers fall into this area)
    UPC Horizon its best to disable 40Mhz setting and choose only 20Mhz setting
    Channel 11 usually is the best choice
    Some expensive newer 5 Ghz Routers will achieve above 100Mb

Wireless 802.11ac 70-100 Mbps and above with more expensive routers

You can also use a better more expensive Wireless Router of your own as a Wireless Access Point
    which can give you better wireless signal in your home if it can be set up as a wireless access point
    most modern wireless routers have this option

Note Speed will be affected if signal is low as in distance from the router or has interference from walls
    and other wireless equipment like baby monitors or DECT cordless phones
    and microwave ovens in use or near large metal objects like a fridge
    Changing the location of your router even by a small amount can give you better results
    Move the router to a different area and test the signal and speed to find the best location
    A few inches of a move can make a difference
    If most of your wireless equipment is upstairs and router is downstairs you will see signal problems and also if the other way
    Router upstairs and wireless devices downstairs
    Location of your router will be the deciding factor for best performance

Note
    iPhone 4 wireless n 2.4Ghz has 20Mb average speed
    iPhone 5S wireless n 2.4ghz has average 40-45 speed
    Even though the iPhone is wireless N its the a limitation of the iPhone not your Router that give you these speeds

Note even if your PC is using Wireless N if another device connected is only wireless G and using the internet
    all wireless devices connected will become wireless G speed
    PlayStation 3 is Wireless G Speed so when it in use by wireless connection
    Your PC or Laptop with a wireless N becomes wireless G speed unless
    you have a Dual Router with 2.4Ghz/5Ghz
    (2 Separate SSID Connections 1 for 2.4Ghz and other for 5Ghz)

5Ghz is wireless N only
    2.4Ghz is b/g/n wireless unless you set it to wireless n only
    Note best performance with Playstation 3 is a wired connection to a Gigabit Ethernet Lan connection

Also Remember the more devices using your broadband at the same time this will reduce the speed you will get on a device
    Example
    UPC Broadband 120Mb
    1 PC
    2 Laptop
    3 iPhone
    4 PS3
    5 Xbox
    6)TV with internet access
    7) Blu-ray player with internet access
    8) Sky HD Box (On Demand in use)
    9) UPC Horizon Box (On Demand in use)
    Any device connected by wired or wireless and is using your internet connection that's been used

UPC 120Mb is shared with all devices not 120Mb to each device
    If your using any torrent software this will affect your speeds when testing and affect other devices
    If your PC or Laptop is uploading files or transferring files or downloading files this will affect your speeds results and devices
    If your streaming video if will affect speed on devices
    If your playing online games (PS3 OR XBOX) it will affect speed on devices
    If any programs running that use the internet including those in the background in your taskbar
    Don't have a lot of programs in use that use the internet if your not using them
    Lot of programs run in the background at start up and lot are not needed in reality and they very often use up your internet
    UTorrent don't have this to load with windows at start up only launch when you need it and shutdown UTorrent when finished using

When you do a speed test it should be only tested with 1 PC connected to the internet with all other internet devices not in use and no programs transferring or uploading or streaming any files
    Always best to be connected by cat6e cable to a Gigabit Ethernet Lan connection

^^incredible post, that should be stickied on its own

Just to answer questions how to check your ethernet card speed- check out :

vpxcoh.jpg

Speed and duplex should be set to Auto negotiation. Anyway If you dont have option 1 Gbps full duplex then you dont have gigabit card.

As in my previous post, on win 8.1 without connecting through vpn i am not getting more than 80-100 mb on my Gigabit card wired.

Also i would suggest using speedtest.net instead upc speed checker.

As a proof of speeds:

vithout vpn:
    3342539900.png

a minute later through vpn:
    3342544491.png

• Advertisement

paulboland wrote: »
    You must have a Gigabit Ethernet Lan card in your PC to get above 100Mb
    Gigabit Ethernet = 1000Mb

With 100Mb Fast Ethernet Card the max it can reach is about 80Mb and
    only when its not been used by any programs that are using your internet and also when not transferring files
    Your PC has a 10/100Mb Ethernet Card
    You speed will be at 40Mb-80Mb and only if no other internet devices are using your broadband and you are not using UTorrent
    You need to upgrade your PC Network Card to a Gigabit Ethernet Card to get above 80Mb

Speed Test
    PC your using to test the broadband speed
    Remember disable UTorrent when doing a Speed test
    Don't have any Files uploading or been transferred that are using any program that using your broadband
    Don't have any other wired or wireless devices in use when do a speed test

The average speed with normal use you will get with a 10/100Mb Ethernet lan connection is 40-80 max
    If your have torrent program in use this will reduce your speed a lot

Your PC doing a Broadband Speed Test
    You only have 10/100Mb Ethernet Card
    I see you have UTorrent in use if that is downloading and seeding it will affect your speed test in a big way
    You also have Dropbox in use that will also affect your speed if its uploading files
    You have lot of programs running that use your broadband
    Your transferring Large files
    That is why you only got 29.33Mb Speed test result

Lot of customers would have not noticed this problem when broadband speed from UPC was only 50Mb package
    When speeds went to 100Mb and above they the notice they will only get Wired Broadband speeds of 40-80
    and even lower depending on what programs/devices running are using the lan connection
    with 10/100Mb Ethernet Card

To use 100Mb 120Mb 200Mb and above you must have a Gigabit Ethernet
    10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Card in your PC or Laptop

Wireless Guide
    You also must have a Wireless N usb adapter or built in Wireless N Card
    Also with Wireless N most only have a max of 150Mb but in reality you will only get 40Mb to 70Mb speed
    depending on wireless signal and distance from the wireless router
    Wireless Max Speeds in theory
    Wireless B 11 Mbps (2.4GHz)
    Wireless G 54 Mbps (2.4GHz)
    Wireless N 150Mbs (2.4Hhz)
    Wireless N (2.4GHz and 5 GHz)
    150Mbps typical for network adapters, 300Mbps, 450Mbps, and 600Mbps speeds when bonding channels with some routers
    Wireless 802.11ac 1300 Mbps (5 GHz)

Wireless Real world speeds you will get are

Wireless B =2Mb to max 5Mb
    Wireless G =20Mb average
    Wireless N =40-50 Mbps typical speeds
    Sometimes you will get 70Mbs - 80Mbps under optimal conditions high signal no interference

Specifying a channel, and using 40MHz channels can help achieve 70-80Mbps with some newer routers channel bonding 2.4Ghz 20/40
    Some times its best to disable 40Mhz and only use Channels 1/6/11 with cheaper routers (UPC Routers fall into this area)
    UPC Horizon its best to disable 40Mhz setting and choose only 20Mhz setting
    Channel 11 usually is the best choice
    Some expensive newer 5 Ghz Routers will achieve above 100Mb

Wireless 802.11ac 70-100 Mbps and above with more expensive routers

You can also use a better more expensive Wireless Router of your own as a Wireless Access Point
    which can give you better wireless signal in your home if it can be set up as a wireless access point
    most modern wireless routers have this option

Note Speed will be affected if signal is low as in distance from the router or has interference from walls
    and other wireless equipment like baby monitors or DECT cordless phones
    and microwave ovens in use or near large metal objects like a fridge
    Changing the location of your router even by a small amount can give you better results
    Move the router to a different area and test the signal and speed to find the best location
    A few inches of a move can make a difference
    If most of your wireless equipment is upstairs and router is downstairs you will see signal problems and also if the other way
    Router upstairs and wireless devices downstairs
    Location of your router will be the deciding factor for best performance

Note
    iPhone 4 wireless n 2.4Ghz has 20Mb average speed
    iPhone 5S wireless n 2.4ghz has average 40-45 speed
    Even though the iPhone is wireless N its the a limitation of the iPhone not your Router that give you these speeds

Note even if your PC is using Wireless N if another device connected is only wireless G and using the internet
    all wireless devices connected will become wireless G speed
    PlayStation 3 is Wireless G Speed so when it in use by wireless connection
    Your PC or Laptop with a wireless N becomes wireless G speed unless
    you have a Dual Router with 2.4Ghz/5Ghz
    (2 Separate SSID Connections 1 for 2.4Ghz and other for 5Ghz)

5Ghz is wireless N only
    2.4Ghz is b/g/n wireless unless you set it to wireless n only
    Note best performance with Playstation 3 is a wired connection to a Gigabit Ethernet Lan connection

Also Remember the more devices using your broadband at the same time this will reduce the speed you will get on a device
    Example
    UPC Broadband 120Mb
    1 PC
    2 Laptop
    3 iPhone
    4 PS3
    5 Xbox
    6)TV with internet access
    7) Blu-ray player with internet access
    8) Sky HD Box (On Demand in use)
    9) UPC Horizon Box (On Demand in use)
    Any device connected by wired or wireless and is using your internet connection that's been used

UPC 120Mb is shared with all devices not 120Mb to each device
    If your using any torrent software this will affect your speeds when testing and affect other devices
    If your PC or Laptop is uploading files or transferring files or downloading files this will affect your speeds results and devices
    If your streaming video if will affect speed on devices
    If your playing online games (PS3 OR XBOX) it will affect speed on devices
    If any programs running that use the internet including those in the background in your taskbar
    Don't have a lot of programs in use that use the internet if your not using them
    Lot of programs run in the background at start up and lot are not needed in reality and they very often use up your internet
    UTorrent don't have this to load with windows at start up only launch when you need it and shutdown UTorrent when finished using

When you do a speed test it should be only tested with 1 PC connected to the internet with all other internet devices not in use and no programs transferring or uploading or streaming any files
    Always best to be connected by cat6e cable to a Gigabit Ethernet Lan connection

thanks for all the info great to see someone who knows what's going on. I did another speed test but i closed down everything that accessed the internet (i closed down drop-box did the speed test and opened up so i could take a screen shot) my internet is still very bad. UPC just told me to live with it or buy a new computer. any future advice welcomed. 2m2e7g5.png

moonship wrote: »
    Just to answer questions how to check your ethernet card speed- check out attachement. Speed and duplex should be set to Auto negotiation. Anyway If you dont have option 1 Gbps full duplex then you dont have gigabit card.

As in my previous post, on win 8.1 without connecting through vpn i am not getting more than 80-100 mb on my Gigabit card wired.

Also i would suggest using speedtest.net instead upc speed checker.

As a proof of speeds:

vithout vpn:
    3342539900.png

a minute later through vpn:
    3342544491.png

how do i get this vpn?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Your not speed testing to the same server so you can't compare speed test results. Connecting through a VPN can't speed up the physical connection. Do a speedtest to the same London server using no VPN and you'll get the same results.

you need to purchase such a service eg. privateinternetaccess.com

anyway, do the speed test on speedtest com and paste here, for comparision with upc

Your not speed testing to the same server so you can't compare speed test results. Connecting through a VPN can't speed up the physical connection. Do a speedtest to the same London server using no VPN and you'll get the same results.

so how come i am getting higher download speeds through vpn than without? downloads not speedtests

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Are you talking about torrents? VPNs can be useful for torrents if UPC throttle them. For regular downloads from a normal server it won't make any difference.

VPNs slow down connections and pings, not speed them up.

Now comparision of upc speed test:

through vpn through london, faster results!

24y4luf.jpg

direct upc

2885z4l.jpg

Sure is weird, i agree with nonoperational completly on this. Still, youre getting good speeds so there really is no problem here.

@ tony, UPC are right, you need a better network card or new pc to use all your internet speed.

Are you talking about torrents? VPNs can be useful for torrents if UPC throttle them. For regular downloads from a normal server it won't make any difference.

VPNs slow down connections and pings, not speed them up.

not torrents. do you have similar problem with upc like op?
    so why are you commenting? vpn in general may slow down connection but if you have fast vpn like 200mb or more it will not.

as you can see on my speed tests i am getting faster connection to upc server through fast london server than direct from dublin?

conclusion? not magic, just something with win 8.1 as i dont have similar issues on old laptop with win xp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

tonyheaney wrote: »
    thanks for all the info great to see someone who knows what's going on. I did another speed test but i closed down everything that accessed the internet (i closed down drop-box did the speed test and opened up so i could take a screen shot) my internet is still very bad. UPC just told me to live with it or buy a new computer. any future advice welcomed. 2m2e7g5.png

Can you check what type of Ethernet Cable your using
    CAT 5
    CAT 5e
    CAT 6
    CAT 6e

It will be written on the Cable what type it is
    Example Cat.5e Patch Cable

How old the Ethernet Cable
    What is the length of the cable your using
    Have you tested using a different cable
    Try with a new Cable Cat 5e to see if any improvement there very cheap to buy
    Run your PC in Safe Mode with networking to see what speed your getting
    Also check for nvidia nforce 10/100 mbps ethernet driver updates

Is it a Laptop or a PC you have if so what make and model I can check for you if there are any updates or known problems with your computer
    What Operating System you using
    Example Windows 7 and what service pack is it using

It still best if you can update your network card most Laptop or PC can have there Network Cards updated to a Gigabit Ethernet Card
    Also a good idea to buy a Gigabit Ethernet Switch
    If you do upgrade to Gigabit Ethernet Card use Cat 6e Cable

Also what UPC Router you using
    Did UPC Update your Router to latest one
    Is it the UPC Cisco 2425 or 3925 modem or Thomson Router Model: TWG870
    Do you have the Horizon Box
    Is your Modem the UPC Scientific Atlanta EPC2203 if it this modem it has limit of just over 30Mb speed

If your PC or Laptop very old if you can afford it might be time to upgrade

Test with a different Cable Cat 5e

• Advertisement

paulboland wrote: »
    Can you check what type of Ethernet Cable your using
    CAT 5
    CAT 5e
    CAT 6
    CAT 6e

It will be written on the Cable what type it is
    Example Cat.5e Patch Cable

How old the Ethernet Cable
    What is the length of the cable your using
    Have you tested using a different cable
    Try with a new Cable Cat 5e to see if any improvement there very cheap to buy
    Run your PC in Safe Mode with networking to see what speed your getting
    Also check for nvidia nforce 10/100 mbps ethernet driver updates

Is it a Laptop or a PC you have if so what make and model I can check for you if there are any updates or known problems with your computer
    What Operating System you using
    Example Windows 7 and what service pack is it using

It still best if you can update your network card most Laptop or PC can have there Network Cards updated to a Gigabit Ethernet Card
    Also a good idea to buy a Gigabit Ethernet Switch
    If you do upgrade to Gigabit Ethernet Card use Cat 6e Cable

Also what UPC Router you using
    Did UPC Update your Router to latest one
    Is it the UPC Cisco 2425 or 3925 modem or Thomson Router Model: TWG870
    Do you have the Horizon Box
    Is your Modem the UPC Scientific Atlanta EPC2203 if it this modem it has limit of just over 30Mb speed

If your PC or Laptop very old if you can afford it might be time to upgrade

Test with a different Cable Cat 5e

the one they game me is a yellow one here is the wording on it: 2j5x7yv.jpg this is attached to a Thomson Router Model: TWG870: e12frd.jpg before i had these i had the Cisco router and the following Gray cable: vp89on.jpg both are CAT 5e but the Thomson has better range... just. perhaps 120 cm i think could be out a bit dont know how how old it is though.

its a desktop windows 7 4 years this June. here are the specs: 6qi7he.png

I have a horizon box but because the box and my tower are to far from one another i had the horizon wifi switched off and the Thomson Router Model: TWG870 installed. (the Cisco was replaced for this)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Balinov

Hi, Anyone experiencing issues like mine?

home setup:
    PS3 on wired network (cat5e)
    LG LM640TS on wired network (cat5e)
    HTC One M8 (n/ac wifi)
    Nexus 7 2012 N for sure, not sure about the AC
    Sgsiii n
    2013 Latitude, centrino N wifi adapter
    Zyxel NSA325 v1 (latest FW) GB ethernet

Samsung STB set up on channel 11 (that's the recommended, but tried all from 1-13). I was only able to connect at N using the Latitude E6430's Centrion Based N wifi adapter when I've set up the network the very first time. Whatever I tried, all wifi enabled devices are only connectcing at G, even 1meter away off the STB.

On the LG smarttv I can set up the network as wifi or wired. 100% sure it's set up as wired. Not too sure if the XMBC on the PS3 allows to disable wifi (I know ps3 slim only supports G, not N), but it's connected via cable, so this shouldn't be the issue.

What drives me nuts is I'm only getting thru the web if B only, G only, B/G/N mixed or G/N mixed is selected. None of the mixed modes allows my devices to connect as N network. The weirdest thing is when I'm switching to N only on the admin screen not a single device can connect via wifi. Had to plug in the laptop to get back to it via the cat5e cable.

I suspect either I'm missing a bog standard and dead straightforward feature/switch/settings or the box itself is not capable of handling N, even it's settings/menu does allow user to select it.

Also, I've read dutch forums (they have the same samsung upc hd box there) and they say 5ghz mode is disabled via firmware, even though the hardware (think it does have a Marwell IC) is very well capable of the 5Ghz mode.

the 4x GB port is also a Marwell driven GB port, yet i had times when the LG smarttv/ps3 were both sturggling to playback a half-uo 3d/1080p release via cable and DLNA (NAS has the Twonky DLNA server running)

Any suggestion, experience, resolution would be more than welcomed. (I have a SamKnows whitebox, but no point to put the original FW of TPlink back as I think that's a G only model)

Cheers
    Balinov

Advertisement