Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pádraic Nally: After the Headlines - RTE2 9.30pm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

What a sad story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

They could have edited that Graveyard scene better.

Should have left out the clearly identifiable graves with the fresh wreaths. Probably belong to people who have just died.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

He seemed far too obsessed to get P.Nally to come out and say he was a hero for doing what he did. Or to come out and say what he did was wrong. It is clear to me that Bird feels Nally was wrong.

Sounded a bit like that with the way he finished the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

That headstone probably cost the price of a good car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Were they the frogs teeth hanging on the chain around the tombstone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

He seemed far too obsessed to get P.Nally to come out and say he was a hero for doing what he did. Or to come out and say what he did was wrong. It is clear to me that Bird feels Nally was wrong.

What kinda of answer was Charlie hoping to hear to the question "What would you like to be remembered for?" Id say he was hoping Padraig would say he would like to be remembered for shooting a traveller

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:eek: What's that noise outside......... *Loads shotgun*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

They spare no expense. It's ironic, they have the most obnoxious headstones as if butter wouldn't melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just about to say the same thing myself yet Ward was trying to break into that house?! WTF for? Cos he was a mindless thug thats why

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭InisMor

Jesus, Charlie, hasn't the man been through enough fear without you suggesting someone is going to shoot him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Skid wrote: »
    They could have edited that Graveyard scene better.

Should have left out the clearly identifiable graves with the fresh wreaths. Probably belong to people who have just died.

Yeah, couldn't they have blurred the names??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't really get the whole 'Fair play to him' stance. I feel sorry for him to a certain extent given his fear, but I wouldn't be wholeheartedly in support of what he did. He still killed an unarmed person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I also feel really sorry for him. Fair play he stands his ground, doesn't make out that he wouldn't do it again, but you can see it has emotionally aged him. Seems to be just exhausted - tired of people and their rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭InisMor

They haven't mentioned Ward's criminal record in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

I lived in my own in the country from 22-30yrs- alone, female, in the country ( 15miles from the nearest town/Garda) and fully supported Padraig and still do.
    I undersand his fear. Thankfully I was never faced with this similar situation but would defend myself as best i could if i were faced with the same situation.
    I cannot begin to describe how travellers have tormented and blatantly stolen in broad daylight from my elderly neighbours and local shopkeeper who is 80yrs plus. This happens every couple months....
    I am a teacher and work in a mixed school with students from various backgrounds. We have a number of travellers- based on my ten year teaching experience - ALL resources pumped into this group in Irish society is completly and utterly wasted. In spite of all resources/free books/free uniforms/ SNA/Resource hours for extra english- we are constantly met with stealing/verbal abuse from students and parents/ continuous absences and defiant behaviour......
    We also had a small family shop growing up in the 70/80's.... my parents regularly gave essentials eg bread , milk to well known traveller families who came looking for food.... these families were different - never stole from us......
    Hold Your Head High Padraig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

InisMor wrote: »
    They haven't mentioned Ward's criminal record in this?

Nor his other "issues".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Padraic is no fool to those who alluded to that. He's typical of a bachelor living on his own in rural Ireland. Maybe not 'book smart' but he's no eejit.

What struck me while watching this is how much his life was turned upside down. He was taken out of his environment, put on trial, served jail time and then finally gets to go back home. And none of this was his own doing, it was all brought upon him.

People need to know that if you break into someone's home and they catch you, then you suffer the consequence of your actions. It's your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I hope at the very least that Padraid has gotten himself a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't really get the whole 'Fair play to him' stance. I feel sorry for him to a certain extent given his fear, but I wouldn't be wholeheartedly in support of what he did. He still killed an unarmed person.

I feel sorry for Nally too. He is poorly educated and caught up in the hype created by his neighbours and the media. There is no doubt he was living in fear though and hiding out in his shed. Loneliness was a major cause of his problems I believe and the fact that his farm is isolated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Did Mr Nally have a trained legal professional at hand when he was asked these questions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Yeah I feel sorry for Nally (a bit mentally ill I think) but you can't excuse someone and especially not admire them for killing an unarmed person, beating up, maybe yeah, but going back to finish off no way, criminal record or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Did Mr Nally have a trained legal professional at hand when he was asked these questions?
    why would he? even if he said it was cold blood murder he cant be charged again

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

I thought his answers seemed prepared.
    Though he's probably answered the same questions so often that they seem rehearsed.
    I feel sorry for him.
    Do we know why he was such a target, what ward was coming back for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

I thought his answers seemed prepared.
    Though he's probably answered the same questions so often that they seem rehearsed.
    I feel sorry for him.
    Do we know why he was such a target, what ward was coming back for?

what do you think? Money of course. He was an old man leaving alone.

Ward's motives are clear . He kept coming back and back

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

very interesting programme, great that he stands by his statements and opinions and didnt back down. charlie got on my tits at the end though- was he trying to just get nally to say "he deserved to die and i'd definitely do it again"?? he was kinda baiting him. i hope he lives out his days in peace and at peace with himself. he was tormented by those thiefs and driven to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭gally

Nally had items stolen previously including if I remember correctly,his chainsaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭threeball

Charlie Bird is an obnoxious sh1t stirring twat who had to drag a man through this whole experience again in an attempt to keep himself relevant.

Cleary biased towards the travellers side also, trying to trip Nally up with his line of questioning.

Bird wouldn't last 3 minutes alone in Nallys home on a dark night. How much squeeling did he do when he was in the Amazon where the camera men outnumbered the mosquitos.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Eire.

I lived in my own in the country from 22-30yrs- alone, female, in the country ( 15miles from the nearest town/Garda) and fully supported Padraig and still do.
    I undersand his fear. Thankfully I was never faced with this similar situation but would defend myself as best i could if i were faced with the same situation.
    I cannot begin to describe how travellers have tormented and blatantly stolen in broad daylight from my elderly neighbours and local shopkeeper who is 80yrs plus. This happens every couple months....
    I am a teacher and work in a mixed school with students from various backgrounds. We have a number of travellers- based on my ten year teaching experience - ALL resources pumped into this group in Irish society is completly and utterly wasted. In spite of all resources/free books/free uniforms/ SNA/Resource hours for extra english- we are constantly met with stealing/verbal abuse from students and parents/ continuous absences and defiant behaviour......
    We also had a small family shop growing up in the 70/80's.... my parents regularly gave essentials eg bread , milk to well known traveller families who came looking for food.... these families were different - never stole from us......
    Hold Your Head High Padraig

Lennylou fair play to you! You hit the nail on the head with everything you said there, I wish the do gooders would wake up and realise that the wool is being pulled over their eyes big time. If it was happening in their own back yard they wouldn't be long standing up and shouting about it. but it's so easy to be subjective and say oh i would have done this and you cant do that, at the end of the day this man was protecting what was his, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

leahyl wrote: »
    Jesus his house is manky dirty!

Its his home, he was always happy there.
    And its paid for too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I can see a movie in the making "Nally get your gun"

Advertisement