Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football All Stars 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

How did McBrearty get a nomination :eek:

Think McGee should get POTY for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Paul Murphy nominated in the full back line too means that Andy Mallon is more than likely going to miss out.

Yes, an apt - and indeed more eloquent description than I would be able to muster - for this, was provided by ciarriaithuaidh.
    More f*ck-acting from Allstar selectors.

Makes a mockery of the whole thing. Would love to have seen Andy Mallon get a second and richly deserved All Star before he bows out. As I stated elsewhere, he'll be denied an individual honour because of the deficiencies of the team he played on.

A joke! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

keane2097 wrote: »
    "More likely to produce something else as well for his team" is as bizarre a rationale for awarding an All Star as you will see :confused:

The year is over, he either produced the something else or he didn't.
    He did. Plenty.

Walsh is a fine player who never lets his side down but theres only 3 half forwards selected so naturally they re going to pick players who have done something memorable over the year, which is correct imo.

It will probably be Flynn, Murphy and Connolly. If so the most unlucky player to miss out is Ryan McHugh- he was motm in Ulster final and AI semi, scored 2-2 from play in that game and his flick to the net for the 2nd was a moment of pure genius.

Thought Walsh was very unlucky last year given how good he was in Munster final and AI semi(assuming he didnt get one:))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Blackjack

i personally think Cillian O Connors is being over stated. he had a good year - a few flashes here and there, but i dont think he was in the best 6 forwards - the vast majority of his scores were frees and penalties.

Yeah, he must be ****e. Top scorer in the championship 2 years running. And sure scores from frees and Penalties don't count on the scoreboard either.

Can you say anything positive about players for other counties (Mayo and Dublin in Particular) or do you just like to play down the fact that players outside of Kerry are sometimes better?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The Kevin McM nomination is completely non-nonsensical

I would love to know what games the nomination team were watching?

What chance did they just throw him onto the team because they had heard of him?

---

FWIW (very little)

Here's how I see it going:

Goalkeepers: Paul Durcan (Donegal),

Full backs: Fionn Fitzgerald (Kerry), Keith Higgins (Mayo) Neil McGee (Donegal)

Half-backs: Aidan O’Mahony (Kerry), Peter Crowley (Kerry), Frank McGlynn (Donegal)

Midfield: David Moran (Kerry), Séamus O’Shea (Mayo).

Half-forwards: Paul Flynn (Dublin), Michael Murphy (Donegal), Donnchadh Walsh (Kerry)

Full-forwards: Kieran Donaghy (Kerry), Cillian O’Connor (Mayo), James O’Donoghue (Kerry),

Player of the Year Nominations: James O’Donoghue (Kerry)

Young Player of the Year Nominations: Ryan McHugh (Donegal)

---

Here's how I would pick it though:
    Goalkeepers: Paul Durcan (Donegal)

Full backs: Fionn Fitzgerald (Kerry), Keith Higgins (Mayo), Neil McGee (Donegal)

Half-backs: Peter Crowley (Kerry), Frank McGlynn (Donegal), Lee Keegan (Mayo).

Midfield: Odhrán MacNiallais (Donegal), David Moran (Kerry), Séamus O’Shea (Mayo). (I honestly can't decide between SOS and OMN. Moran is a cert.

Half-forwards: Paul Flynn (Dublin), Michael Murphy (Donegal), Donnchadh Walsh (Kerry)

Full-forwards:Cillian O’Connor (Mayo), James O’Donoghue (Kerry), Conor McManus (Monaghan) :P

Player of the Year Nominations: Neil McGee (Donegal).
    Young Player of the Year Nominations: Ryan McHugh (Donegal)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nicepoint

^^^^^ Two man FF line ? Where is Paul Murphy ? Not sure about Fionn, not far off but a no for me. And some of your other selections are questionable also.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NBTD

I would think the three nominees for POTY will each get one. Conversely, I think Ryan McHugh has been nominated as YPOTY as he will not get an All Star. My best guess at how they will go:

P Durcan
    P Murphy, E McGee, K Higgins
    P Crowley, F McGlynn, C Boyle
    D Moran, N Gallagher
    D Connolly, M Murphy, P Flynn
    J O'Donoghue, K Donaghy, C O'Connor

POTY JO'D
    YPOTY R McHugh

Unlucky to miss out: A Mallon, R McHugh, A O'Shea, R Beggan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

i personally think Cillian O Connors is being over stated. he had a good year - a few flashes here and there, but i dont think he was in the best 6 forwards - the vast majority of his scores were frees and penalties.

So you think Connolly went missing against Donegal and that if he was from any other county he would not even get a nomination?
    And you think O'Connor is overrated?
    No offence but I seriously doubt your ability to judge players based on those two statements!
    Connolly has been superb all year for Dublin, he has matured a lot this year. That said I agree with those who say he is not really deserving of a nomination for POTY but he certainly deserves his nomination for an All-Star.
    O'Connor was absolutely immense for Mayo in their two games against Kerry. I have no doubt whatsoever that his clash of heads with O'Shea cost Mayo the replay. He is a superb player and for me I would have had O'Connor named as one of the three nominations for POTY.

nicepoint wrote: »
    ^^^^^ Two man FF line ? Where is Paul Murphy ? Not sure about Fionn, not far off but a no for me. And some of your other selections are questionable also.

It was 3am. Obviously overlooked at that stage.
    I shall edit post haste.

As for them being questionable choices; they're my choices. Of course you'll question them but that's how the year was for me.

---

So Conor McManus then... Ha ha... I think I'd get a rash or pigs would fly if I gave "Rats" any credit. Let's not change a habit of a lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I think it's clear from the posts that it's almost all Kerry people that think that Donnacha Walsh should get an All-Star. And the majority of the rest of the country don’t agree with that.
    There seems to be a thought in Kerry that because he works hard and covers a lot of ground, that he finally deserves an All-star. And that his poor scoring return should not be an issue, notwithstanding that he is a forward. Whereas, outside Kerry he’s perceived as a workhorse - good player but nothing special and often seems anonymous in games due to the lack of doing the spectacular.

My thought is that he has a role in the Kerry team, has worked hard, is very fit, links backs and forwards and picks up breaks. However, to get an All-Star, in my opinion a player needs to have produced something a bit special throughout the year. I don’t just mean 1 or 2 moments of brilliance in a year should deserve an All-Star. But I don’t think Donnacha Walsh portrays All-Star qualities. But if there was an award for “works hard for the team, without ever being spectacular”, then he would be top of the list. Whereas Flynn and Connolly can produce that bit of individual brilliance, as well as playing consistently good that edges them to the All-Star.

• Advertisement

It was 3am. Obviously overlooked at that stage.
    I shall edit post haste.

As for them being questionable choices; they're my choices. Of course you'll question them but that's how the year was for me.

What happened in the matches was the same for everybody. It’s not like the game was being played and you were watching different passages of play than the supporter beside you.
    The issue is that you were either not paying attention to what was happening or you’re throwing in a couple of individuals onto your team as a wind-up. Giving Lee Keegan and Seamus O’Shea all-stars is ridiculas. In many instances, differences in personal choices are relevant. But nominations like that are just going beyond credibility. I don’t think it a case of personal choice to state that Colm Boyle and Neil Gallagher had a much better season in their respective positions than the aforementioned.

What happened in the matches was the same for everybody. It’s not like the game was being played and you were watching different passages of play than the supporter beside you.
    The issue is that you were either not paying attention to what was happening or you’re throwing in a couple of individuals onto your team as a wind-up. Giving Lee Keegan and Seamus O’Shea all-stars is ridiculas. In many instances, differences in personal choices are relevant. But nominations like that are just going beyond credibility. I don’t think it a case of personal choice to state that Colm Boyle and Neil Gallagher had a much better season in their respective positions than the aforementioned.

Ah come off it.

I never understand the guff levelled out by some when they don't agree with someone else's opinion.

If everyone had the same opinion on the same games and players we surely wouldn't have the unedifying spectacle of Pat Spillane talking ****e about the very same matchedbthat you or I watch.

Yes, I spent an age at 3am posting how I thought the All Stars would be picked and of my opinion of what I would pick just so I could wind up a few people on the internet. Calm toi.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

NBTD wrote: »
    I would think the three nominees for POTY will each get one. Conversely, I think Ryan McHugh has been nominated as YPOTY as he will not get an All Star. My best guess at how they will go:

P Durcan
    D Moran, N Gallagher

POTY JO'D
    YPOTY R McHugh

Spot on!:)

NBTD wrote: »

P Durcan
    D Moran, N Gallagher

POTY JO'D
    YPOTY R McHugh

This will be it alright I think. I would also include Shane Walsh in the unlucky to miss out list, he's had a super year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I think it's clear from the posts that it's almost all Kerry people that think that Donnacha Walsh should get an All-Star. And the majority of the rest of the country don’t agree with that.
    There seems to be a thought in Kerry that because he works hard and covers a lot of ground, that he finally deserves an All-star. And that his poor scoring return should not be an issue, notwithstanding that he is a forward. Whereas, outside Kerry he’s perceived as a workhorse - good player but nothing special and often seems anonymous in games due to the lack of doing the spectacular.

My thought is that he has a role in the Kerry team, has worked hard, is very fit, links backs and forwards and picks up breaks. However, to get an All-Star, in my opinion a player needs to have produced something a bit special throughout the year. I don’t just mean 1 or 2 moments of brilliance in a year should deserve an All-Star. But I don’t think Donnacha Walsh portrays All-Star qualities. But if there was an award for “works hard for the team, without ever being spectacular”, then he would be top of the list. Whereas Flynn and Connolly can produce that bit of individual brilliance, as well as playing consistently good that edges them to the All-Star.

You use the word throughout as in constantly, All Irelands are won by players that are not just brillant but also these payers need so called workhorses as well. Maybe if Mayo ahd a few DW's instead of Aidan O'Se's type players then they too might win Sam Maguires. The failure of most teams is not having these type of unselfish link players. The Cillian O'Connors abd the John O'Donoghues need to be given the ball into there hands. I am involved at under age and I find that really skilled players often need some one else to hand them the ball.

All Stars IMO are to acknowledge the players that contributed most to there team. If you argued on skill or ball carry ability you begiving the likes of Aidan O'Se an all star. However he fail to make an team that asks for honesty in there players. What I mean by this is players that are willing to scarfice them selves for there teams. Football is a team sport because of his unwillingness to train to optimum fitness IMO he is not a team player. Walsh is such a player I do not think he will win an AS but for his honesty and scarfice for the team he deserves one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

DoctaDee wrote: »
    If he was from any other county he wouldn't be waiting 7 years for one either...

he didnt get them, because he didnt deserve them.

his year this year, has been totally overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭GBXI

You use the word throughout as in constantly, All Irelands are won by players that are not just brillant but also these payers need so called workhorses as well. Maybe if Mayo ahd a few DW's instead of Aidan O'Se's type players then they too might win Sam Maguires. The failure of most teams is not having these type of unselfish link players. The Cillian O'Connors abd the John O'Donoghues need to be given the ball into there hands. I am involved at under age and I find that really skilled players often need some one else to hand them the ball.

All Stars IMO are to acknowledge the players that contributed most to there team. If you argued on skill or ball carry ability you begiving the likes of Aidan O'Se an all star. However he fail to make an team that asks for honesty in there players. What I mean by this is players that are willing to scarfice them selves for there teams. Football is a team sport because of his unwillingness to train to optimum fitness IMO he is not a team player. Walsh is such a player I do not think he will win an AS but for his honesty and scarfice for the team he deserves one.

You talk some amount of sh1te about Aidan O'Shea. He is one of Mayo's most hard-working and crucial players. Actually I wish to Christ he'd stop being such a team player and start using his undoubted ability to take scores. Your ignorance is highlighted when you say Mayo could do with more Donncha Walsh's - Mayo being one of the most intense, hard-working teams of the last 4 years, they do not carry one passenger. And give me Kevin McLoughlin any day over Donncha Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    So you think Connolly went missing against Donegal and that if he was from any other county he would not even get a nomination?
    And you think O'Connor is overrated?
    No offence but I seriously doubt your ability to judge players based on those two statements!
    Connolly has been superb all year for Dublin, he has matured a lot this year. That said I agree with those who say he is not really deserving of a nomination for POTY but he certainly deserves his nomination for an All-Star.
    O'Connor was absolutely immense for Mayo in their two games against Kerry. I have no doubt whatsoever that his clash of heads with O'Shea cost Mayo the replay. He is a superb player and for me I would have had O'Connor named as one of the three nominations for POTY.

Don't agree he went missing in the semi but the bit in bold isn't correct. Connolly, despite being in a team that was flying, was distinctly average in the Leinster championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I think that Connolly's overrated but he deserves his all star. I think he gets more attention because of his slick style of play (e.g. outside of the foot passes, swift turns of speed etc.), he doesn't contribute enough imo for the talent he has. One of the most talented in the Country yes, but not the most effective. That said I thought he was phenomenal against Donegal, if he can repeat that type of performance then there's no doubt he'll win a POTY in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

he didnt get them, because he didnt deserve them.

his year this year, has been totally overrated.

Look I'll say from the outset I don't give a shiny about the All Stars, but this whole concept of deserving one is completely out of all context. There's as many instances of charity cases as deserving players. The whole pretext of the All Stars seems to be to reward the winners.

Kerrys AI win doesn't need to be reinforced by having 8-10 All Stars, if you're saying Walsh is more deserving of an All Star than Connolly - I think you're mistaken

Good post. I think one of the problems with the disparity in what players should be picked for the All-stars is – what criteria are required to be an All-star? I don’t think they are defined. Therefore, it throws up problems when you have players with varying types of attributes fighting for the same all-star position e.g. Flynn, Connolly, Walsh debate. I’d love to know how they are actually picked. Do the
    assessors review statistics e.g. successful hand passes, foot passes, fetches, scores etc. Or do they take a general approach – just pick the best 15 players based on their recollections and hype in the media?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

GBXI wrote: »
    You talk some amount of sh1te about Aidan O'Shea. He is one of Mayo's most hard-working and crucial players. Actually I wish to Christ he'd stop being such a team player and start using his undoubted ability to take scores. Your ignorance is highlighted when you say Mayo could do with more Donncha Walsh's - Mayo being one of the most intense, hard-working teams of the last 4 years, they do not carry one passenger. And give me Kevin McLoughlin any day over Donncha Walsh.

I first saw AOS against Cork whem he was about 20 yaers of age. I taught he had great potential. However his inability to reach full fitness kills his team. Darragh O'Se was no saint however this was more in the latter days of his career.

It takes more than any one thing to win AI's. it takes skill, team work, fitness, ability to read and tak a game by the scruff of the neck etc. I was in CP last year to watch Mayo V Dublin. I considered Mayo a team of inviduals. Inviduals do not win AI's.

AOS inability to last complete games when he is at the height if his career indicated taht he is not completely fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

You have the bones of a valid point, but last year Walsh was immense in every game and made mincemeat of Jack McCaffrey in the semi final. Should have got one last year, but..gun to my head, not this year. Didn't do enough in Mayo replay and final for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭GBXI

I first saw AOS against Cork whem he was about 20 yaers of age. I taught he had great potential. However his inability to reach full fitness kills his team. Darragh O'Se was no saint however this was more in the latter days of his career.

It takes more than any one thing to win AI's. it takes skill, team work, fitness, ability to read and tak a game by the scruff of the neck etc. I was in CP last year to watch Mayo V Dublin. I considered Mayo a team of inviduals. Inviduals do not win AI's.

AOS inability to last complete games when he is at the height if his career indicated taht he is not completely fit

Another added to the ignore list...

If you were in Croke Park for Mayo's 2 matches prior to that you would have seen 2 great team performances, especially dethroning the all-Ireland champions in style - a game in which Aidan O'Shea was back in his own full back line fetching the leather from the high heavens in the last 5 minutes of the game.

FYI - Aidan O'Shea is only 24 - not what I would call at the height of one's career for a midfielder/centre-forward. The experience that he would get in a midfield/centre-forward role in the next few years will continuously mould him into a better player in terms of cuteness on the ball, the important runs to make, pacing oneself through a game, when to offload the ball etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Connolly's intercounty season

Laois 1-1
    Wexford 0-2
    Meath 0-1
    Monaghan 1-2 (1f)
    Donegal 0-5(1f)

He scored 2-11 in 5 games with 2-9 of it coming from play.

However I also had a look at the number of shots he took in the various games [from the dontfoul blog]

Against Laois he took 4 shots, 3 against Wexford, 3 from Meath , 5 against Monaghan, and 7 against Donegal.

[These are just shots from play]

So basically he took 22 shots and got 10 scores. [a 45% strike rate]

When up factor in the quality of the opposition and how comfortable Dublin were for long stretches of games that's not really POTY form imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

if Connolly was from any other county, he wouldnt get an all star.
    Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Connolly's intercounty season

Laois 1-1
    Wexford 0-2
    Meath 0-1
    Monaghan 1-2 (1f)
    Donegal 0-5(1f)

He scored 2-11 in 5 games with 2-9 of it coming from play.

However I also had a look at the number of shots he took in the various games [from the dontfoul blog]

Against Laois he took 4 shots, 3 against Wexford, 3 from Meath , 5 against Monaghan, and 7 against Donegal.

[These are just shots from play]

So basically he took 22 shots and got 10 scores. [a 45% strike rate]

When up factor in the quality of the opposition and how comfortable Dublin were for long stretches of games that's not really POTY form imo.

I try to ignore short comments like Homerjay's which have a bias against one county over another, but since it was posted, I've had the comment rattling around the back of my head. I don't believe it's true. Connolly's performance in the All Ireland Club Final was from all accounts beyond brilliant. It is certainly true that DC didn't set the world alight in his performances in the Leinster Championship as outlined in the facts provided by Boom_Boom. However, in the quarterfinal against Monaghan he was excellent, and the performance he gave against Donegal, despite his teammates losing the head, was beyond reproach. He was brilliant that day.

If a Roscommon (for example) clubman played as DC played (i.e.brilliantly) in the AI Club Final and his team won, and then subsequently played,but didn't star,in a winning Connacht championship, and subsequently did as DC did, and played well in a winning q/f and brilliantly in a losing s/f, then that notional guy would certainly be in the running for an all star. The selection committee plus the fans and keyboard warriors like ourselves would all be looking for a way of including him on the team.

The facts are that DC gave two masterclasses in top class football this year. How many other players could lay claim to that feat? Star - yes. Moran - yes. Murphy ? Flynn ? Walsh ? All three of those players played consistently throughout the championship but none gave two masterclasses. Murphy is particularly effective,and was excellent in the q/f, but his s/f and final performances weren't in the top three for his team.

My basic point is that DC deserves an all star. Whether he deserves POTY is another question and not one I'd care to argue for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But are All Stars not supposed to be based purely on the Championship ?

Very hard to make a case for Mark Lynch's nomination then so ?

No they are not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The big problem with the All Stars is that there doesn't seem to be any agreed criteria for the selection.

It seems outrageous to me that club form would be included because it gives such an advantage to (1.) players from senior clubs and (2.) players from where the selectors are based.

Colm O'Rourke picked Connolly as his POTY on the basis of games he saw Connolly play for Vincent's, yet no one asked him what he thought of James O'Donoghue's performances for Legion.

keane2097 wrote: »
    The big problem with the All Stars is that there doesn't seem to be any agreed criteria for the selection.

The whole thing seems to be very much a case of opinion as far as I can see. Other than it being a list of the players who performed well during the year the rest seems to be subjective. I don't think there is any defined criteria in terms of whether club, league or championship form counts, whether the quality of the team around you counts, or any other selection criteria. The only constant I can see down the years is that the two All Ireland finalists will be well represented and the league winners (if not one of the two AI finalists) will get at least a number of nominations.
    As you say keane, club form would be next to impossible to include as only high profile games would be evaluated, but we simply don't know if the club final was used in the argument for Connolly or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

I don't know whether club games are included or not, but I would suggest that a performance in the All Ireland Club final, despite being limited to senior clubs, should be included in the reckoning for both all star and POTY. Comparing how JOD played for Legion or Ciaran Kilkenny for Castleknock, while slightly unfair on those lads, is as unfair as comparing Donaghy with the Wicklow corner forward.

Club games should have zero influence in Allstar selections. It's a different level of football entirely at which County players will always stand out.

League has a slight influence on selection, which is fine..hence Mark Lynch and Brian Hurley getting nominated, but the main criteria is and should always be, championship performance...and based on performance in the championship overall (as I've stated numerous times already) Connolly cannot be called POTY. His performance in the semi final is up there with best of the year and if he gets an Allstar (even if it's at the expense of Donnacha Walsh) then I'm not going to argue.

Past30Now wrote: »
    I don't know whether club games are included or not, but I would suggest that a performance in the All Ireland Club final, despite being limited to senior clubs, should be included in the reckoning for both all star and POTY.

A serious problem with this is that while Connolly's performance in the All-Ireland club finals was stand-out he was surely helped by the fact that Castlebar pretty much gave him freedom of the park in terms of marking.

It's one thing to impress when you have a top intercounty defender tracking your every move ; a whole different kettle of fish when it's a fairly ordinary club defender who makes a very poor effort in terms of tracking your movement, allowing you to drop deep out the field and pick up the ball in acres of time and space.

League has a slight influence on selection, which is fine..hence Mark Lynch and Brian Hurley getting nominated, but the main criteria is and should always be, championship performance...and based on performance in the championship overall (as I've stated numerous times already) Connolly cannot be called POTY. His performance in the semi final is up there with best of the year and if he gets an Allstar (even if it's at the expense of Donnacha Walsh) then I'm not going to argue.

A serious problem with the league is that it's really impossible to view anything close to a serious chunk of it. Players in Division 1 have a serious advantage over Division 2 players, while Division 3 and 4 players can forget about it being used to help their case.

.................and based on performance in the championship overall (as I've stated numerous times already) Connolly cannot be called POTY. His performance in the semi final is up there with best of the year and if he gets an Allstar (even if it's at the expense of Donnacha Walsh) then I'm not going to argue.

As a hard nosed Dub, I'd have great difficulty in arguing DC's claim to POTY nomination let alone the award, in some respects I feel David Morans contribution to Kerry while likely to be recognised with an All Star should also have been nominated for POTY.

On the other hand I'd argue at length that DC is the best footballer in Ireland and that alone should get him his 1st All Star.

As a hard nosed Dub, I'd have great difficulty in arguing DC's claim to POTY nomination let alone the award, in some respects I feel David Morans contribution to Kerry while likely to be recognised with an All Star should also have been nominated for POTY.

On the other hand I'd argue at length that DC is the best footballer in Ireland and that alone should get him his 1st All Star.

If Connolly performs at peak potential, I couldn't argue the toss with you...until he produces that form consistently though, he can't be put on the highest pedestal. For players of the highest level of ability like him (who play on a top 3 team), you are judged on your performance in AI finals. He hasn't hit the heights in that respect yet..but I'm sure that will change in the next few years.

No idea why you say he should get an Allstar for just being potentially the best player in the game either. If this were the case, Gooch would have a dozen Allstars.

I don't see what all the argument here is about. As far as I can see the vast majority of posters agree that Connolly probably doesn't deserve to be nominated for POTY but does deserve his nomination for an All Star. Is there anyone (apart from homerjay) suggesting that he does not deserve to even be nominated for an All Star this year?

.......No idea why you say he should get an Allstar for just being potentially the best player in the game either. If this were the case, Gooch would have a dozen Allstars.

See this is where your argument becomes a little leaky - its for that very reason that the Gooch has the number of All Stars he does have (8?) ... how else would we explain the fact of his inclusion in the 2010 team to the exclusion of the complete Cork forward line when he played only 3 games in Munster, then came a cropper against Down in QF ?

• Advertisement

See this is where your argument becomes a little leaky - its for that very reason that the Gooch has the number of All Stars he does have (8?) ... how else would we explain the fact of his inclusion in the 2010 team to the exclusion of the complete Cork forward line when he played only 3 games in Munster, then came a cropper against Down in QF ?

Eh, no..in 2010 Gooch was outstanding in every single game..we beat Cork in a replay in Cork that year don't forget. He had 3 men on him most of the game in the 1/4 final v Down and still got 0-6 or thereabouts. He has earned every single one of his allstars..unlike a few others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

As a Dub, I love to see our lads hoovering up every single award and plaudit going. But even I have to admit that it is not fair to include a stand out club performance in the FOTY voting. It was just one game, it was in Croke Park and it was televized. How many club games from Donegal and Mayo and Kerry etc etc, that took place Oct-Dec, have the voters seen? Not too many I'd wager. It's an unfair contest to offer up one game as a reason for DC to get it, and to ignore the dozens and dozens of other top notch performances from all over the country, that didn't get the same coverage as the AI club final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

ProudDUB wrote: »
    As a Dub, I love to see our lads hoovering up every single award and plaudit going. But even I have to admit that it is not fair to include a stand out club performance in the FOTY voting. It was just one game, it was in Croke Park and it was televized. How many club games from Donegal and Mayo and Kerry etc etc, that took place Oct-Dec, have the voters seen? Not too many I'd wager. It's an unfair contest to offer up one game as a reason for DC to get it, and to ignore the dozens and dozens of other top notch performances from all over the country, that didn't get the same coverage as the AI club final.

It was the AI club championship final, its not as if it was an early round in Dublin. The Kerry, Mayo and Donegal championship is seen just as much on TG4 as the Dublin one. It is FOTY, every GAA match played should be considered (within reason). He was immense in the final so I see no reason why it should not count.

For me, however, he wasnt good enough for the rest of the year to warrant a place in the All Stars let alone be nominated for FOTY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

bren2001 wrote: »
    It was the AI club championship final, its not as if it was an early round in Dublin. The Kerry, Mayo and Donegal championship is seen just as much on TG4 as the Dublin one. It is FOTY, every GAA match played should be considered (within reason). He was immense in the final so I see no reason why it should not count.

For me, however, he wasnt good enough for the rest of the year to warrant a place in the All Stars let alone be nominated for FOTY.

TG4 show a couple of games a week & highlight of others. They certainly don't show every single game of every single round from every single county. Until they do & people/voters get to see them, then it is unfair to have a players performance in club games be judged.

Even if club performances are factored in, then Mossy Quinn should get all the kudos for his club performances & not Diarmuid Connlly. I was at all the Vincents games from October to St Patricks Day. Mossy was the difference & the Man of The Match in every single game, except for the actual final in Croker. DC stepped up brilliantly in the final, but Vincents wouldn't have made it out of Dublin, never mind Leinster, but for Mossy Quinn.

None of the FOTY voters were traipsing down to Tullamore & Portlaoise in November & December & standing in the cold and the rain to watch games then, so Mossy doesn't get spoken about for FOTY - just as other outstanding club players all over the country, don't get spoken about for FOTY either. When they do, then by all means, open up club performance as criteria for FOTY. But right now, it's not fair to do so imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

Hello Gaa men and women, if you like hurling you might enjoy this. I just uploaded a video on to YouTube with a little song I wrote and recorded with the help of a friend here across the water, it's called "up for the match - Kilkenny hurling song" it's a bit of a giggle, we are not musicians, but hope it gets a few laughs! I wrote it after the drawn game, I could probably put another verse about the replay on now but anyway enjoy and pass it on if you like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

1. Paul Durcan
    2. Keith Higgins
    3. Neil McGee
    4. Aidan O'Mahony
    5. Paul Murphy
    6. Peter Crowley
    7. Colm Boyle
    8. David Moran
    9. Anthony Maher
    10. Diarmuid Connolly
    11. Ryan McHugh
    12. Donnachadh Walsh
    13. Cillian O' Connor
    14. Kieran Donaghy
    15. James O' Donoghue

8 Kerry
    3 Donegal
    3 Mayo
    1 Dublin

So that would be my team... a few close calls. Very hard to pick them this year to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

All Stars football team out,largely predictable

Paul Durcan
    Keith Higgins
    Neil McGee
    Paul Murphy
    Colm Boyle
    Peter Crowley
    James McCarthy
    David Moran
    Niall Gallagher
    Paul Flynn
    Michael Murphy
    Diarmuid Connolly
    James O Donoghue
    Kieran Donaghy
    Cillian O Connor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

seligehgit wrote: »
    All Stars football team out,largely predictable

Paul Durcan
    Keith Higgins
    Neil McGee
    Paul Murphy
    Colm Boyle
    Peter Crowley
    James McCarthy
    David Moran
    Niall Gallagher
    Paul Flynn
    Michael Murphy
    Diarmuid Connolly
    James O Donoghue
    Kieran Donaghy
    Cillian O Connor

James McCarthy???

Did they misspell Aidan O'Mahoney?

McCarthy is a brilliant footballer, and would start on any team in Ireland, but Mahoney had about as good a year as a defensive player can have, nullifying the threat of some of the top players in Ireland. All of this at the back end of his career!

At a time in the Mayo replay when 22,23 and 24 year olds, in their prime were gone off with cramp, O'Mahoney was still there playing his heart out until his legs gave out.

In the closing moments of the All Ireland Final it was O'Mahoney bursting out of defence with the ball leaving guys in his wake.

He has his other All Stars and All Ireland medals to keep him happy, but I think whatever about the Donaghy, Murphy, Connolly selections, this was the worst call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Wouldn't have had McCarthy in the 15 at all. Had a very average year

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Wouldn't have had McCarthy in the 15 at all. Had a very average year

Very strange decision indeed, but he obviously warmed someones pant! :D

Advertisement