Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon wifi dropping

Options
  • 23-08-2013 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭

When trying to stream from my mac or Ipad via Twonky to my TV the wifi signal drops and I lose connection. Anyone else getting this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Hi Naasrd

I've had issues with the wifi dropping in and out and also with coverage. I've since put a netgear router plugged into an ethernet port on the back of the unit which has increased my wireless speed from 60mbits(horizon) to 90mbits (Netgear).

Also I did stabilise the wireless connection by setting the frequency to 20mhz rather than 20/40mhz. So go into your router at 192.168.192.1 (I think) and in the wireless settings make the change to see if that stabilises.

Nialler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

nialler wrote: »
    Hi Naasrd

I've had issues with the wifi dropping in and out and also with coverage. I've since put a netgear router plugged into an ethernet port on the back of the unit which has increased my wireless speed from 60mbits(horizon) to 90mbits (Netgear).

Also I did stabilise the wireless connection by setting the frequency to 20mhz rather than 20/40mhz. So go into your router at 192.168.192.1 (I think) and in the wireless settings make the change to see if that stabilises.

Nialler

Thanks Nialler, I'll give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Hi Naasrd

Nialler

How are you getting 60-90mb wireless? I can only get 20-24mb wireless on a 150mb Horizon connection? The UPC tech support say the best to hope for is 30mb wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Tango One

omerin wrote: »
    How are you getting 60-90mb wireless? I can only get 20-24mb wireless on a 150mb Horizon connection? The UPC tech support say the best to hope for is 30mb wireless

I managed this most of the time nothing special about my wireless setup. I'm on 100Mb package btw
    2928189950.png

Omerin I'm getting 27mbit or more off my phone and more off the ipad. What wireless card is in your laptop is it a .a/.g (56mbits), all of the stuff in my house is min .n (theoretical 300mbits) with my laptop .ac (gigabit)?

N

• Advertisement

Nialler it is USB - Netgear N600 Dual Band. Located upstairs. Every time I call UPC they say most you can expect wireless is 30mb. I have a laptop 802.11b/g/n that also has 2 signal bars and slow loading pages.
    I keep getting Timed out online gaming, any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Omerin I'm getting 27mbit or more off my phone and more off the ipad. What wireless card is in your laptop is it a .a/.g (56mbits), all of the stuff in my house is min .n (theoretical 300mbits) with my laptop .ac (gigabit)?

N

You can only get 300Mbps (even theoretically) with 40MHz channels turned on. Otherwise, you're down to a theoretical max of 150Mbps straight away.

The 5GHz band is disabled on the Horizon, which is a major pain straight away. You can turn on 40MHz channels in the 2.4GHz band, but the Horizon box seems to have a fairly aggressive "good neighbour" feature. i.e. if it detects any interference it'll automatically turn off 40MHz channels to prevent more interference.

Short version: you're not getting getting into the theoretical top-band of 300Mbps unless you live in the middle of nowhere with no interference. As in, you know, the places you can't get Horizon in the first place.

Omerin

Ok I just got 76.58/9.9 from the Netgear N300 hooked up to my Horizon Box, don't listen to the UPC helpdesk ask to go higher to an engineer.

There's also a lot of factors involved, had a look at the N600 that could be easily hid under the TV, mine is sitting out on the subwoofer beside the TV so no blockages. DVDs, thick walls etc will slow the signal or speed down.

When you say USB and it's located upstairs, is the Horizon box and router upstairs and what's the USB bit? USB on these routers is for network storage or music.

Generally have a wifi access point as high as you can in every room and unblocked.

N

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Omerin

Ok I just got 76.58/9.9 from the Netgear N300 hooked up to my Horizon Box, don't listen to the UPC helpdesk ask to go higher to an engineer.

There's also a lot of factors involved, had a look at the N600 that could be easily hid under the TV, mine is sitting out on the subwoofer beside the TV so no blockages. DVDs, thick walls etc will slow the signal or speed down.

When you say USB and it's located upstairs, is the Horizon box and router upstairs and what's the USB bit? USB on these routers is for network storage or music.

Generally have a wifi access point as high as you can in every room and unblocked.

N

He probably using this
    NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter
    WNDA3100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

omerin wrote: »
    Nialler it is USB - Netgear N600 Dual Band. Located upstairs. Every time I call UPC they say most you can expect wireless is 30mb. I have a laptop 802.11b/g/n that also has 2 signal bars and slow loading pages.
    I keep getting Timed out online gaming, any suggestions?

Hi Omerin
    do you have
    NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter
    WNDA3100

Do you have The NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router WNDR3700 wireless router as well if you do you can still use it

You can use another wireless Router to get better wireless speed and signal
    Set up a separate wireless router in access point mode

You then have a better wireless signal especially apple devices
    Netgear
    Buffalo
    Belkin
    Asus
    Most models of these Wireless Routers have this mode that can be used and can solve problems if devices not getting a good wireless signal in your home
    Some don't but most do
    If you need help doing this let me know if you have a separate wireless router

Also are you using any wireless G devices in your home
    All Devices need to be Wireless N to get max speed
    If a Wireless G device is been used all N devices will drop to G speed

Do you have a PlayStation 3 and use wireless connection

Check all devices that use your broadband connection and see what wireless type it is as find out if any are Wireless B/G/N
    Is there any Wireless Dect Phones using 2.4 mhz in use
    or baby monitors in use

Note iPhone 4 and other apple devices have problems keeping connection with horizon mostly when streaming video
    using another wireless router as access point solves this and will keep the connection no drop outs

• Advertisement

Thanks all for the replies.

NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter - this is correct, is connected to my PC upstairs, horizon box downstairs. Just a Horizon box, no connected routers and these poor speeds and time outs from multiplayer games I have since I got it - a few days ago. Also no other things connected to bb. Signal is at 2 bars most of the time sometimes 4. When you change channel it starts at 4 and drops to 2.

OK Omerin, personally I couldn't stabilise the Horizon box and had sh1t coverage, I stuck a netgear N300 router on it, basically ethernet cable to wan port on router and the router did the rest, great coverage now, 36mb on the top floor (attic) and no drops. With gaming though I'd never use wireless, the latency is crap, I know it's not ideal but if you want decent ping times you're better off being wired, getting 12ms wired to the horizon box vs 24-46 over wireless.

N

You could try homeplugs too. In real world usage even N wireless doesn't match a "500Mbps" (ignore that, really 100Mbps) pair of homeplug adaptors. In my experience anyway. Rocksolid connection, better latency, better (and more consistent) throughput. YMMV depending on your electrical setup though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

Phew - I thought it was just me. I've had the Horizon box for over a week and the WiFi was incredibly frustrating. I'd go from full strength to a disconnection to half-power. The channels, power, security settings were set to the same.

Anyhow, I turned off the Horizon wireless and connected my old Linksys box to the ethernet port of the unit, volia! A stable connection.

UPC need to sort this out ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

jayok wrote: »
    Phew - I thought it was just me. I've had the Horizon box for over a week and the WiFi was incredibly frustrating. I'd go from full strength to a disconnection to half-power. The channels, power, security settings were set to the same.

Anyhow, I turned off the Horizon wireless and connected my old Linksys box to the ethernet port of the unit, volia! A stable connection.

UPC need to sort this out ASAP.

UPC haven't..........

How did you turn off the Horison wireless?

You can log on to the Horizon Box itself, by going to the internal IP address of the box
    (e.g. http://192.168.1.1)

Username is admin and password is admin

Click the Wireless Tab

and then change the Basic Settings of the 2.4GHz Wireless to Disabled.

Click Save.

To be honest I'm not sure if UPC will ever 'fix' the box's Wifi reception. For a start, it is a little odd that my other N router (which gives excellent speeds & coverage) has 3 antennae, while the Horizon box (with slow speeds and poor coverage) doesn't have any external antenna. Is there some reason why the Horizon box shouldn't need any?

Plus the 5GHz band is disabled on the Horizon box, which limits the channels available and (in many real-world cases) prevents wide-channels being turned on thus effectively halving the potential bandwidth. Perhaps the Horizon box isn't capable of simultaneous dual band, in which case it makes sense to disable the 5GHz band.

They can't fix the lack of antenna and they've showed no sign of enabling 5GHz mode (unless I've missed something) so nothing's like to change. Best to buy a good N (or AC) router and never look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

who_me wrote: »
    To be honest I'm not sure if UPC will ever 'fix' the box's Wifi reception. For a start, it is a little odd that my other N router (which gives excellent speeds & coverage) has 3 antennae, while the Horizon box (with slow speeds and poor coverage) doesn't have any external antenna. Is there some reason why the Horizon box shouldn't need any?

Plus the 5GHz band is disabled on the Horizon box, which limits the channels available and (in many real-world cases) prevents wide-channels being turned on thus effectively halving the potential bandwidth. Perhaps the Horizon box isn't capable of simultaneous dual band, in which case it makes sense to disable the 5GHz band.

They can't fix the lack of antenna and they've showed no sign of enabling 5GHz mode (unless I've missed something) so nothing's like to change. Best to buy a good N (or AC) router and never look back.

Agreed, the boxes are dud

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭SteM

Agree that the Wifi on the Horizon boxes is awful. Wifi on mine packed up on Saturday. Phoned them Sunday and jumped through hoops with them over the phone. Eventually they suggested me keeping the Horizon box for TV and shipping me a separate modem. It arrived yesterday morning, has been up and running since then and the Wifi signal from it is much more stable. May end up handing the Horizon box back and going with Freesat for TV to be honest, I find the Horizon box incredibly frustrating to use. For a new box I find the software design to be very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

who_me wrote: »

The range on 5Ghz will be less than on 2.4ghz its a shorter wave that has less chance of getting through barriers.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    The range on 5Ghz will be less than on 2.4ghz its a shorter wave that has less chance of getting through barriers.

True - which is why I'd only buy a router if it supported simultaneous dual-band, so you can connect to the 5GHz network for best speed or 2.4GHz network for best range depending on where you are and what you're doing.

If the Horizon box can't support simultaneous dual-band, I guess it makes sense for 5GHz to be completely disabled. They'd only be getting complaints about the range being even worse, and older devices not being able to connect at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I was having lots of trouble with the wifi range from the horizon box. To get around it I connected my old wireless router to the horizon box and it worked grand until yesterday. Since then I have no internet connection when connected to my router via wifi. Tried all the usual resets etc. to no avail..
    Any suggestions for me?

Your router need to be on the same subnet at the Horizon box, but not on the same IP. By default the Horizon box is on 192.168.1.1, make sure that the wireless router isn't on the same address. Also, it might be a wireless router, but you don't plug the cable from the Horizon box onto the internet of the router, just straight into the LAN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

We just got horizon a week or two ago and the wifi since has been awfull, i cant even play youtube videos properly. They just stop and never buffer. Before we switched to horizon i could get wifi everywhere around the house on my pc laptop and my phone and now i barely get 3 bars on my pc in the front of the house and cant get it at all on my phone if im in my office room. And im literally like 10-12 feet from the box.

Its fecking abysmal ! Never had these issues before we switched.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

I'm also getting wifi drop on Apple devices when using Horizon TV as the wifi router.

It makes netflix a pain to watch using any Apple device.

Considering an Apple Airport Extreme to solve the problem.... but why shold I be down €200 when UPC can'r deliver a good service. The Samsung hardware looks good but WIFI sucks.

Crap range
    Regular drops
    Single band (2.4G)

Time to complain.

Advertisement