Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who do you volunteer for ?

• 20-06-2010 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

So Im staring down the barrel of the Social Welfare office in about 8 weeks time, things are not looking good for employment prospects either and Im thinking of cutting the boredom with volunteering for some organisations ore other.

I'm ooking for other Boardsies who have done likewise to give their opinions on which kinds of volunteering are out there and what they've gained from the experience. I really dont know anyone who has volunteered in Ireland so just looking to get a heads up of how it is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=383
    Volunteering forum.

I'm a scout leader,but we get the summer off,so i'll probably end up doing something different myself for a few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Demonon

I have family who volunteer for DSPCA, unlike other charities they receive next to nothing from the government and are very reliant on volunteers and donations. Maybe one to consider! www.dspca.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I'm not sure if you knew about this one, but This is the Volunteerism forum, you might get a better outlook there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I volunteer to help the local community by raising community spirit.

(edit - the spirit involved may be of the Jack Daniels variety)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Lynnsie

If you go to http://www.volunteer.ie/ and register with your local centre you can see what organisations need volunteers in your locality and volunteer.ie deal with the applications for you. It's really helpful because it saves you dealing with lots of different organisations.

I applied to be an adult literacy tutor with the VEC through the site, I haven't started tutoring yet but have finished the training course and I loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I've volunteered in some way for DSPCA, St. Vincent de Pauls and the Irish Cancer Society in the past.

What cause/s do you wish to volunteer to help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I could do with my grass being cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Civil Defence is where I put my few hours in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Big brother big sister

http://www.bbbsireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

AFAIK if the social find out you're volunteering you may have your dole cut.

I've heard it a few times, although it may just be jazy cnuts lying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

And I put a few hours in each week working in a charity shop in Hackney, as I have done for the past 13 years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I volunteer for Age Action teaching older people how to use the internet. It's very easy to do and the people are lovely. I'm getting a great kick out of the fact that people are e-mailing me now after the 3rd lesson.

See here:
    http://www.ageaction.ie/getting-started.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Tanya Tate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

phasers wrote: »
    AFAIK if the social find out you're volunteering you may have your dole cut.

I've heard it a few times, although it may just be lazy cnuts lying...
    In the UK you can work voluntarily while o
    n the dole. As long as you can prove that you are not getting paid for the work you do and you are still actively seeking employment, to use their euphemism, your benefit shouldnt be affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A jobseeker who engages in voluntary work within the State may continue to be entitled to a jobseekers payment provided that, in engaging in the voluntary work, they continue to satisfy the statutory conditions of being available for and genuinely seeking work.

Examples of voluntary work in which jobseekers may engage include:

* helping the sick, elderly or persons with a disability
    * assisting youth clubs, church groups, sports groups, cultural organisations, local resident associations

The groups involved may be nationally organised groups or local voluntary or community groups.

Link; http://www.volunteer.ie/Social-Welfare-Requirements,104.html

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mick_jt

Join the Ra..... sure it will get you out of the house....meet new people and all that!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭pitkan

RATM wrote: »
    So Im staring down the barrel of the Social Welfare office in about 8 weeks time, things are not looking good for employment prospects either and Im thinking of cutting the boredom with volunteering for some organisations ore other.

I'm ooking for other Boardsies who have done likewise to give their opinions on which kinds of volunteering are out there and what they've gained from the experience. I really dont know anyone who has volunteered in Ireland so just looking to get a heads up of how it is.

Ratm, I am sorry to hear of you loosing your job but it used to be a condition of receiving social welfare that you always had to be available for work, so if you went (with the best intentions ) volunteering it may be viewed that you were not available and be cut off. Dont take my word for it but certainly ask around first.

Seriously, I wouldn't have thought that unpaid voluntary work would affect your SW entitlements. You're still available for work.

I have been on several interview boards and I'm always impressed when someone has volunteering on their CV. To me it shows great "get up & go" and initiative.

one of the best interviews I ever conducted was with an unemployed person. I asked him what he was doing during his 8 months of seeming inactivity.

Well the answer was amazing. He was doing so much stuff, volunteering and researching this new job.

Glad to say he got the job and I hope he's happy now. He certainly was pretty impressive, and it was all genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Holy crap, did nobody read what I posted earlier?!!

"A jobseeker who engages in voluntary work within the State may continue to be entitled to a jobseekers payment provided that, in engaging in the voluntary work, they continue to satisfy the statutory conditions of being available for and genuinely seeking work."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Warrior011

I volunteer with the order of malta ambulance corps providing first aid at different events. I've also been involved in several fund raisers with the Irish Cancer Society.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

i've volunteered with an organization that offers support services to people coming to terms with their sexuality. i know that for most of us "coming to terms with our sexuality" is usually a good time, but for some it can be quite daunting and isolating, and some families have a hard time dealing with it.
    but moving to the other side of the country in a few weeks so will be looking for a new org to volunteer with -possibly a rape crisis centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I volunteer for Age Action teaching older people how to use the internet. It's very easy to do and the people are lovely. I'm getting a great kick out of the fact that people are e-mailing me now after the 3rd lesson.

See here:
    http://www.ageaction.ie/getting-started.htm

I'm doing exactly the same thing for Age Action. Teaching older people is very rewarding as you are opening up a whole new communication method for them and it impresses their younger family members.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭patrickrushe

Hi,

I volunteer with a small unit of St. John Ambulance Brigade in Ballinteer/Dundrum.

Every year, hundreds of people are dying needlessly or suffering life-long disability because people don't know basic first aid. CPR is proven to be the difference between life and death. Even something as simple as knowing how to put someone in the recovery position could save a life.

Our vision is simple; everyone should have immediate access to first aid no matter where they are or what they are doing at the onset of illness or injury. To this end, we train the public in first aid and we also provide first aid at events; everything from Croke Park with 80,000 people to small community events with less than 100.

In Ballinteer/Dundrum, we desperately need volunteers. Please PM me if you are interested. We are always looking for bright and enthusiastic people.

If you want to learn a bit more about our organisation:
    St John Ambulance Brigade of Ireland - First Aid Courses and Event Cover

Otherwise, look at one of the following organisations who do the same thing:
    Order of Malta
    Civil Defense
    Irish Red Cross

Even if you don't want to volunteer, still try to attend a course.

Regards,
    Pat Rushe

(As an aside: Personally, I think first aid should be taught to every child in every school in every year of their education for a couple of hours, and should be a prerequisite to having a driving license (as is the case in a lot of European countries).

Our A&E departments are overrun, and part of the problem is that people don't know how to differentiate between something a GP can handle, and something that requires emergency care. So there is an economic and social benefit to training the populace in first aid. Also, when big events are on, having trained first aiders on-site can prevent local hospitals being put under even more pressure. I simply can't understand why a couple of hours from the academic year cannot be devoted to this life skill... Even a basic Cardiac First Responder course, which only takes a couple of hours, would give people the skills to deal with the most serious of incidents.. Rant over.. ;);) ).

Holy crap, did nobody read what I posted earlier?!!

"A jobseeker who engages in voluntary work within the State may continue to be entitled to a jobseekers payment provided that, in engaging in the voluntary work, they continue to satisfy the statutory conditions of being available for and genuinely seeking work."

No.........................:o

Advertisement