Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland in 2020 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Demonon wrote: »
    What do you predict Ireland will be like in 2020?

Will this recession finally be over?
    This recession, probably.
    Will we be in the middle of another boom?
    Unlikely as the cost of doing everything goes up due to peak oil which by some accounts has already begun but at the very least will have started by 2020.
    Will FF still be in power?
    Probably.
    Will the half a million jobless be back working?
    Possibly, as oil becomes more and more expensive good old fashioned manual labour will become financially viable again.

What industries will be booming/collapsed?
    Will we still be in the euro currency, or even still in the EU?
    We'll more than likely be completely dependant on them.

By 2020 fish stocks will be in very bad shape with peak oil being the only thing that could save them so expect the price of fish to sky rocket too. Cheap food from overseas will become expensive by today's standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

ScumLord wrote: »
    Possibly, as oil becomes more and more expensive good old fashioned manual labour will become financially viable again.

By 2020 fish stocks will be in very bad shape with peak oil being the only thing that could save them so expect the price of fish to sky rocket too. Cheap food from overseas will become expensive by today's standards.

So will Cod Liver Oil become the most expensive commodity on earth?

*buys sonatogen shares*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This:

The ideal Ireland that we would have, the Ireland that we dreamed of, would be the home of a people who valued material wealth only as a basis for right living, of a people who, satisfied with frugal comfort, devoted their leisure to the things of the spirit – a land whose countryside would be bright with cosy homesteads, whose fields and villages would be joyous with the sounds of industry, with the romping of sturdy children, the contest of athletic youths and the laughter of happy maidens, whose firesides would be forums for the wisdom of serene old age.

...finally :D

(because there will be feck all else going on)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Boards.ie Ltd will actually own the country for a brief period of time,
    Then Dev & Co will end up going to Vegas for a weekend where they get so blitzed on cheap vermooth and computer duster that they put the whole lot on black 28 at a table in the Luxor.

Fortunately by 2020 most of Las Vegas is actually run by Bertie Ahern and the reanimated head of Charlie Haughey.
    They decide that the kip just isn't worth owning a second time and give it back to the Irish people.

Also, there will be hoverboards :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

Wazdakka wrote: »
    Also, there will be hoverboards :cool:

Now ye're hovertalking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

we will all have some type of vision

eurovision???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Riddickcule

We will have another economic boom, starting in 2012. Hopefully it will be based on exports and investment and not property and credit.

FF will not be in power for a good while, in the 2012 election there will be a Labour-Fine Gael coalition formed with Gilmore as Taoiseach and Bruton as Minister for Finance.

Hopefully Renewable Energy will be our booming industry by this time.

We will still be in the euro and it is the worlds most important currency by now. We will still be part of the ever growing EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Daily mail readers will be foaming at the mouth as Nigeria begins ascension talks to join the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

we will have found a sustainable renewable resource or will will all be getting ready to die.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Possibly. There's another population bubble on the way that would be maturing around 2020. Among other factors it was the previous population bubble that drove the housing bubble.
    Failing a major screwup they'll still be a large party. I can see more independents and maybe even another party kicking off. left of centre or right, hard to say, but there are enough disgruntled types in all the current parties to maybe split and form a new one.
    With more and more people coming into a constricted job market, I suspect the number will stay pretty stable, but more will be working to offset that. we need to change a few things locally though. Up the skillbase, lower the costs. Places like China and India IMHO have peaked somewhat. The Chinese model is unsustainable in a lot of areas of its industrial output. We need to be in a position to exploit that.
    IMHO The web will change massively. Current freedoms will be a thing of the past. Big biz has a big presence online ATM, but little enough revenue generated compared to that presence. You will pay more for content in the future. Linking willy nilly in defence of your side of the debate, like we do here every day will be harder to do. You will be tracked much more. The reasons given will be for security, but far more importantly it'll mean control of the medium(Forget downloading torrents when your PC has a readily traceable ID. Sure some will circumvent it, like any security, but the days of amateurs doing so en masse will come to an end). It has happened with every industry and social movement before. The web will be no different. We're in the last days of the wild west. Pioneers take the arrows, settlers take the land, business seeks to control the land.

Green energy will be a boom area. More localised, small scale enterprises will have more importance using a big bi conduit to sell their wares. The iTunes/Apps for iPhone model. I think more people will buy into things that last, rather than transitory fashion items. EG Cars. The basic chassis currently lasts longer, much longer than the first owner usually keeps the car. Maybe a basic chassis, but upgradeable over time when fashion dictates. People forget that the Ford model T was billed as the only car you'll ever need. This upgradeablility will be "greener" too. Battery powered cars will be seen as a dead end. Fuel cell cars will come to the fore. Air travel will become expensive again. This will force more localised thinking too. Now techies may say that video conferencing will take over, but its been around for a very long time, yet people still prefer to press flesh, hence the huge amount of biz class flyers.
    Yes and yes, but I think we'll be a cashless economy. If banknotes survive in my lifetime I'll be surprised.
    NAMA will be looked upon as a serious f**k-up.
    I think it already is TBH. IMHO many of those who consider it isnt are still using the same outmoded economic notions that caused the issue in the first place.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tomplaya

Also, there will be hoverboards :cool:[/QUOTE]

in five years time!!----thats the length of time left to the invention of them(check out back to the future 2:p:p).then you will be able to avail of the government sponsored hover to work scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I'll be 50.

A old man .

So I will not give a fcuk about the country anymore.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Woah, the crazies are out in force in this thread.

The GAA becomes the new Gestapo? Someone was high last night...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

2020 we will be selling natural energy on a massive scale to the rest of Europe and so making us the new Airabia of Europe. We will be making so much money that we will have little or no tax, all political and religious decisions will be made by the supreme being John Gormley & HRH Eamon Ryan. Northern Ireland will be annexed and the people there reprogrammed. Ryan Turbidy Will be hosting the Euro Vision for the fourth time in a row. A statue to Gerry Ryan will be attracting thousands after a distraute woman saw it moving its hand towards its mouth. Joe Coleman will have sought planning permission for a monster ark. Ronaldo has just won the Champions League Final with Athlone town

Naw, you can dream on Northern Ireland won't be axed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

The ''recession'' will end in the next year - 2 years, i.e. we will have slight economic growth. But the effects of the recession will last much longer. I predict we will be in a time of slow economic growth, with high unemployment, but noot as high as it is now - maybe 8-10%.

FF will return to power after a series of rainbow coalitions which will collapse over short periods of time over the next few years. They should return to power in around 2015/2016.

Industry will not be as strong, with our economy not as export led as before Many industries will relocate to India as they will have the highly skilled low paid work force that we once had but that we lost around 2000.

We mat exit the Euro currency in about two years time when there will be a sharp rise in interest rates due to central european nations economic recovery. However we will be much slower to exit this recession than ohter countries, and the high interest rates will cripple our recovery. This will lead to our exiting the euro and the severe devaluation of the punt in order to help pay back our borrowings. However we will remain in the EU, unless the EU stops subsidising farmers and does not have a replacement for the CAP when it expires in a few years time.

Can't wait for this thread to be bumped in 10 years!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dirty Frank

Doc should've sorted out his mucking around with the space time continum by now, so I could nip on and check it out. Though I'm suprised Skynet hasn't yet become self aware and initiated the war with the machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

how could ya find a thread from 10 years ago, predicting what 2010 would be like?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Westshíte will still be churning out cover versions
    Robbie Williams will be out
    Ashley Cole will be out
    20 fags will cost €20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

MJ23 wrote: »
    Westshíte will still be churning out cover versions
    Robbie Williams will be out
    Ashley Cole will be out
    20 fags will cost €20

emmett stagg will be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Ireland will resemble the capital wasteland from the game fallout 3, leaving me at a distinct advantage over the rest of you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Race riots
    20% unemployment rate
    Most graduates will have 1st-class degrees
    We'll qualify for Euro 2020 because they will allow 24 teams in
    Still haven't won the Eurovision again
    There will be one head shop left as a museum
    RTE television still showing repeats of Father Ted
    Enda Kenny will still want to be Taoiseach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I dont get this talk of the software industry being our coming saviour.

I mean surely outsourcing the bulk of Software production to China and/or India will prove even easier than outsourcing hardware production ???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    I dont get this talk of the software industry being our coming saviour.

I mean surely outsourcing the bulk of Software production to China and/or India will prove even easier than outsourcing hardware production ???
    Software is more creative than manufacturing. Manufacturing is the easy part, it could be done anywhere by anyone once the development is done. Software needs creative people with the freedom to express themselves and that are part of an equally free and expressive society. When China cuts it's people off from the world they're already at a disadvantage in such a rapidly moving industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Seen this article in the Irish Time few months ago, talks about Ireland in 2030, sounds spot on/feasible.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/innovation/2010/0205/1224263701292.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

I don't know about everyone else but ill be taking my hovercraft to work in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

karlog wrote: »
    I don't know about everyone else but ill be taking my hovercraft to work in 2020.

Roads karlog? Where we are going, we don't need.....Roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Gone. 2012 is coming *mr burns laugh* mahahaha...messing!

Yes assuming so

Id think so

Hell no

Yes

booming

defo wont be in eurovision anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

bonerm wrote: »
    It'll be like whatever England was like 10 years ago.

This is the actual honest-to-God-no-joking real answer.

You could also have phrased it as 'Whatever the USA was like 15 years ago'.

You'll finally be able to deal with businesses outside the hours of 9 and 5 Mon-Fri. It'll be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mysons

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Gone. 2012 is coming *mr burns laugh* mahahaha...messing!

Yes assuming so

Id think so

Hell no

Yes

booming

defo wont be in eurovision anyway

Jesus, you sound like Enda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I'll be 31, not too old I suppose!
    I'm just waiting for another world war.

Advertisement