Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Methotrexate have you had any side effects?

• 16-07-2014 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

I've been taking Methotrexate for 7 weeks and I've read a lot of accounts of bad side effects that people have experienced with it. It's still being described by the medics as the Gold Standard, but my own experiences make me think other wise. I'm just interested to know hear about positive or negative effects others have had with it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I have been on methotrexate for 3 years for psoratic arthritis.
    I got bad nausea the day after taking it initially. It eased off slowly after a number of months.
    After the first year, I don't get nausea anymore , unless I take it without food. Also I forgot to take it on holidays for 2 weeks and the first few weeks after that, it was much worse.

I have a liver function test every three months, and my liver function is fine.

The side effects differ so widely that I dont think that there is one right answer.
    Everyone has to make their own decision on whether the relief they get is worth the side effects they experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭morebarn2

I was using Methotrexate a few years ago. I started on the lowest dose, 10mg.,I think. At that dose I had no problems and it was reasonably effective at lowering my pain and inflammation. However, in order to completely deal with the arthritis, the dose is gradually increased. As the dosage increased, my symptoms began to get worse. I finally finished up on 20mg. At that stage I found the nausea to be quite bad. It would start the day after taking my tablets and last for about 4 to 5 days. Also my hair started seriously falling out and thinning!

On the positive side, my arthritis was almost completely under control,and I reckoned it was worth the side effects.

However, the regular blood tests showed that my liver was being pretty badly effected and I was taken of Methotrexate after about 9 months.

My Rheumatologist would still say it is the Gold Standard for most people, and I would know other patients who are successfully using it for 10 or more years. It really does vary hugely from one person to another. I guess I was just unlucky!

I should say that if the tablets cause problems, then sometimes the injection form of Mtx. can be used and it bypasses the digestive system and mostly eliminates the nausea. Also most doctors prescribe Folic Acid, it replenishes your system when you are on a DMARD like Mtx.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kitchenkid

On it several years, at 20mg dosage. Feel pretty nauseous for day or two, but worth it for almost full relief from RA pains.
    reckon i would be suffering a lot more without it. Liver tests every 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I started on 10mg but moved on to the 15mg dose 3 weeks ago. I'm also having Infliximab infusions, which they won't do unless I take the Methotrexate. I've been on folic acid for years and with the exception of Thursdays when I take the Methotrexate I'm on it every day.

I've been having a lot of headaches and my moods are all over the place, I just don't feel like me. My teeth are aching and became sensitive so I changed toothpastes to see if that helps. I get stomach cramps for a few days after the Methotrexate though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

was on 17.5mg but back down to 10 because my liver numbers have been very high. Not too many side effects though, just the nausea.

my one tip is definitely don't drink even a once off! thought i'd get away with it for a wedding. big mistake! ;)

• Advertisement

was on 17.5mg but back down to 10 because my liver numbers have been very high. Not too many side effects though, just the nausea.

my one tip is definitely don't drink even a once off! thought i'd get away with it for a wedding. big mistake! ;)

That was a timely post. I like gin and tonic and was thinking earlier today that I might allow myself 1 of the premixed cans of Gordons once a month, I guess I won't be doing that then:(:D

talk to your doc first. They might be ok with you having one, but then I was warned repeatedly by rheum, derm and GP not to drink. Everyone is different though, so you never know you might be alright ;)

talk to your doc first. They might be ok with you having one, but then I was warned repeatedly by rheum, derm and GP not to drink. Everyone is different though, so you never know you might be alright ;)

None of them mentioned anything at all about not drinking. I'm just going by the information on the leaflet that comes with the Methotrexate.

I know some other people have had drinks while on MTX without any adverse effects. Liver is just bit weaker when on it.

Jaysus I'd love a G&T myself! :D I just remember that I was sick for two weeks after that wedding!

Has anyone else had an increase in headaches since being on the methotrexate? I've noticed that I have a headache a lot of the time, although that might just be stress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭jackhammer

I was on methotrexate for a couple of years. I developed a persistent cough and also some lung scarring. I didn't experience any of the other symptoms listed, but they said it affects different people differently.

I was taken off it and the coughing went, the scars remain though.

Advertisement