Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i can see AVB being announced as liverpool manager this week , maybe then we can look to the future and put this rafa talk to rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Jan Gorski-Mescir ‏@Fydsy
    Fans made their feelings known by heckling Ian Ayre at an Aintree race meeting, chanting the name of previous Reds boss Rafael Benitez #MEN
    Retweeted by Jim Boardman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Do people seriously think reina should be replaced by Doni, or is it a continuation of the Doni jokes?

Reina had an average seaason by his own standards but he's a class act and will come back stronger.

EDIT - I need to go to Specsavers !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

i can see AVB being announced as liverpool manager this week , maybe then we can look to the future and put this rafa talk to rest

If so, then I won't complain. I rate Villas Boas higher than Martinez (still think Rafa is a better coach/manager) .

With all talk of the manager situation, we have a much bigger problem looming in the background, the stadium. If its not resolved by the end of the summer I have a suspicion that FSG may sell the club

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Suso and Sterling better be involved more next season.

How Suso never even got a run-out in a Carling Cup tie was nothing short of criminal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

GK: Reina (Doni)
    LB: Jose Enrique (new signing)
    CB: Agger (Coates)
    CB: Skrtel (Carragher)
    RB: Johnson (Kelly)
    CM: (new signing)(Gerrard),(Adam)
    CM: Lucas (new signing),(Spearing)
    CM: Henderson (Shelvey)
    LW: Suarez (Bellamy)
    CF: Carroll (New signing)
    RW: New signing (Downing)

Is the way I would look at things.

I think the first team showed this season that it will take more than two signings in order to start making some large strides forward.

We need a striker who can score on a regular basis, and we may even need a second quality CM/AM to come in as well.

So a striker who can score, a quality wide man, an AM, along with a CM who can switch between the CDM and CM roles would be the main gaps in our first team that need filling in my eyes. The likes of Carroll and Henderson can become squad back up if they stay at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

telekon wrote: »
    Suso and Sterling better be involved more next season.

How Suso never even got a run-out in a Carling Cup tie was nothing short of criminal...

Rewind a couple of years people were saying the same about pacekho thinking he was the next great thing yet 3 managers thought differently and hasn't set the world alight yet .
    Fact is managers see these people day in day out they are far better judges than those of us at home looking in from the outside

Rewind a couple of years people were saying the same about pacekho thinking he was the next great thing yet 3 managers thought differently and hasn't set the world alight yet .
    Fact is managers see these people day in day out they are far better judges than those of us at home looking in from the outside

Sterling does look promising tbh, needs to bulk up.

I agree with your post though.

Kess73 wrote: »
    I think the first team showed this season that it will take more than two signings in order to start making some large strides forward.

We need a striker who can score on a regular basis, and we may even need a second quality CM/AM to come in as well.

So a striker who can score, a quality wide man, an AM, along with a CM who can switch between the CDM and CM roles would be the main gaps in our first team that need filling in my eyes. The likes of Carroll and Henderson can become squad back up if they stay at the club.

2 straight into the first team players (CM/AM, RM)
    2 first team back up (CM/DM, ST)
    1 first team back up (LB)

Spearing, Downing, Henderson, Shelvey all as backup with Sterling coming up from the reserves.

Carroll and this new striker fighting for the position. Provided Carroll continues his run of form/confidence.

Morzadec wrote: »
    I think I must be in the minority in wanting Spearing to stay.

He shouldn't play nearly the amount of games as he did last season, but to have him in the Carling Cup, perhaps some Europa League games and as a general backup I think he should stay.

Our squad is going to be further stretched being in Europe next year and the likes of Spearing will be needed. He's a very low cost player as I'd imagine his wages are very low and he wouldn't fetch more than a couple of million or so.

Unless we can get in a free transfer on similar or lower wages then I think we should hang on to him. He'll be useful and is a decent squad player to have.

Good post.

Spearing is a decent squad player who would have played in probably a handfull of games had Lucas not being injured.

I hope he stays. No point in signing another DM for a big fee.

If we can get an upgrade for Spearing on the same money who's happy to play 2nd fiddle to Lucas fair enough.

Provided Lucas is fully fit come August, it's not a position that needs too much attention imo.

Other areas of the pitch are ahead of it in terms of priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Spearing, Downing, Henderson, Shelvey all as backup with Sterling coming up from the reserves.

Carroll and this new striker fighting for the position. Provided Carroll continues his run of form/confidence.

And if Flanagan can be considered 3rd choice RB, then I don't see why Robinson can't be considered for the LB role. Injuries have hampered his season, but you can see he has talent about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

43rd post! Yeehaw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Provided Lucas is fully fit come August, it's not a position that needs too much attention imo.

Other areas of the pitch are ahead of it in terms of priority.

And what happens if Lucas gets injured again? Back to the same problem...

aaronh007 wrote: »
    And if Flanagan can be considered 3rd choice RB, then I don't see why Robinson can't be considered for the LB role. Injuries have hampered his season, but you can see he has talent about him.

I'm thinking we need competition for that area. Enrique could get very relaxed in that position, similar to what happened to Rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Spearing should be no where near Liveprool 1st team , Championship player at best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭thebullkf

AVB to be new manager by tomorrow/Wednesday :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

G.K. wrote: »

QFT! There has to be more than Jay Spearing, Charlie Adam isn't that type of player nor is Gerrard. Got to get someone in as a dedicated DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I think the problem there was nobody saw Lucas being out for the season - his injury record has been quite good up until this point - can't remember the last time he was out for a sustained period.

Were it to happen again, we'd have to invest in January - I do think this was one mistake Kenny made - we shouldn't have been happy to leave Spearing playing there for a full season and moves should have been made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

You could say that about every player though. At the end of the day you'll never get 22 players who are all as good as each other. Also Spearing wasn't really the problem this year, it was more the dross that was beside him. If we add another good midfielder to start with Lucas then he'll be fine alongside Spearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I'm thinking we need competition for that area. Enrique could get very relaxed in that position, similar to what happened to Rise.

He already has become 'relaxed' imo. A serious drop in performance level after January in comparison to the first few months of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

It would be good if we could sign a left-back who was very attack minded, like a wing back more so, to offer a contrasting style to Enrique and also possibly to add cover to the Winger position.

Someone like N'Zogbia (not suggesting N'Zogbia but just someone like him). Celtic have a decent left-wing back don't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

6979605480_ac58031e69_o.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So, Manager aside.... what players do we want to see coming to us this summer?

Elm seems to be playing the wait and see card...

Sterling added a huge amount of pace and threat every time he was introduced yet Kenny stuck with non-wingers such as Kuyt, Maxi and Henderson in that position where play was slow and predictable.

Suso in the reserves has been a class act. His vision, pass accuracy and long range shooting is very impressive and deserved at least a run out.

Comparisons with Pacheco are wide of the mark as he was average at best playing for the reserves.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    He already has become 'relaxed' imo. A serious drop in performance level after January in comparison to the first few months of the season.

Yup. He started to struggle after, I think it was when he faced Valencia, who ran rings around him. From then on he was poor enough.

His random shooting its also incredibly infuriating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Vicxas wrote: »
    So, Manager aside.... what players do we want to see coming to us this summer?

Elm seems to be playing the wait and see card...
    The one position we've needed sorting since pre-Beintez imo is RW

Ideally I'd love to see us sign Adam Johnson - I think with proper game time he'd flourish, but I doubt we'll (a) go for him (b) even if we went for him, we probably wouldn't get him due to City trying to make a buck back considering how much they've spent and also there's the wages to think of.

We need an out and out winger on the right to cause problems - If Lucas is fit, then put Johnson and another attack minded player on that side and let the cause wreck - if they're caught out on the counter, have Lucas attempt to mop it up - that's idealistic thinking but it's clear to see that Liverpool, for years, have been devoid of wingers.

As poor a season as Downing has had, I still like that we signed him as a winger and I'm hoping he'll pick it up next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Carroll finished the season on 4 league goals. The only competition where he actually showed good form in front of goal was in the FA cup.

We can gamble on Carroll suddenly becoming prolific in the league, or we can gamble on bringing in a proven finisher and let Carroll be the back up/competition.

Suarez often gets criticized for his conversion rate and for his own goal tallies, but he managed almost triple Carroll's league total in terms of goals and has a far superior golas to games ration in both domestic cups.

Carroll's workrate did improve towards the end of the season and he was excellent when he came on as a sub in the FA cup final and he was excellent in the final home game of the season, but his goals to games has been poor when the season is looked at as a whole, and in the league his goals to games or goals to minutes played has been woeful.

Would be folly to not bring in a quality striker this summer to lead the attack, regardless of how much money was spent on Carroll.

PaulieC wrote: »
    The one position we've needed sorting since pre-Beintez imo is RW

Ideally I'd love to see us sign Adam Johnson - I think with proper game time he'd flourish, but I doubt we'll (a) go for him (b) even if we went for him, we probably wouldn't get him due to City trying to make a buck back considering how much they've spent and also there's the wages to think of.

We need an out and out winger on the right to cause problems - If Lucas is fit, then put Johnson and another attack minded player on that side and let the cause wreck - if they're caught out on the counter, have Lucas attempt to mop it up - that's idealistic thinking but it's clear to see that Liverpool, for years, have been devoid of wingers.

As poor a season as Downing has had, I still like that we signed him as a winger and I'm hoping he'll pick it up next season.

Yeah, I like Johnson a lot too. The one good thing about having such a lousy season in the league is the fact that Liverpool are no longer seen as a threat to City and can now avail of their cast offs...

Kess73 wrote: »
    Carroll finished the season on 4 league goals. The only competition where he actually showed good form in front of goal was in the FA cup.

We can gamble on Carroll suddenly becoming prolific in the league, or we can gamble on bringing in a proven finisher and let Carroll be the back up/competition.

Suarez often gets criticized for his conversion rate and for his own goal tallies, but he managed almost triple Carroll's league total in terms of goals and has a far superior golas to games ration in both domestic cups.

Carroll's workrate did improve towards the end of the season and he was excellent when he came on as a sub in the FA cup final and he was excellent in the final home game of the season, but his goals to games has been poor when the season is looked at as a whole, and in the league his goals to games or goals to minutes played has been woeful.

Would be folly to not bring in a quality striker this summer to lead the attack, regardless of how much money was spent on Carroll.

Completely agree.

Plus we have enough games to continue Carroll's development if we use him in League Cup, Europa League and FA Cup matches/ as backup and a different option.

• Advertisement

telekon wrote: »
    Yeah, I like Johnson a lot too. The one good thing about having such a lousy season in the league is the fact that Liverpool are no longer seen as a threat to City and can now avail of their cast offs...

Good point, maybe City won't mind losing Johnson to us. He'd be a very good signing I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement